Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Is Dave Alexander's new website up yet?

Didn't know it wasn't there till I read this, it's been a long time since it had been updated anyway. 

Y7 progress.

Fitted the 'spider'* tonight and I now have a running chassis, despite one of the crankpin nuts making a successful bid for freedom. next is to make sure that the flanges don't touch the footplate and run it for a while on the rolling road, it needs the footplate on for weight, it struggles a bit without it.

*OK, half a spider.

post-7104-0-19294400-1387492479_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So, how did I make a complete hash of the boiler? or more importantly how did I sort it out?

The Boiler comes pre rolled with an opening for the motor and needs the bottom seam soldering up, this I did and with my combination of motor and gearbox I needed to remove the rear part of the bottom of the boiler, this I did and on turning it back over realised that I had cut the front section out instead. Bu%%er!

This would not have been a problem if it had been a plain boiler but there are holes for handrails knobs, clack valves and the safety valves , these would look a bit daft at the front! plus grooves for boiler bands.

The way round this was to solder a piece of curved brass into the offending gap then cut out the other end. This seems to have been successful. The boiler has now been fixed onto the smokebox.

post-7104-0-54224800-1387730517_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-83128300-1387730498_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get a bit more done last night and this morning, mostly detailing bits, if anyone spots a cast brass NER globe lubricator (one off the smokebox side) under their bench could they please pop it back down the worm hole.Ta.

post-7104-0-00362300-1388323055_thumb.jpg

• Like 5