Hattons LOGO CARTONS

Stevelewis

I received another order from Hattons this morning ( Placed 13.45 yesterday, delivered 09.00 today)

I was intrigued to see that they are now using their LOGO on the cartons,

On first impression I thought 'what a good idea' advertising works, however I am not too sure on reflection if this is a good idea from the security point of view, I also had a delivery from the SIGNALBOX Rochester ( Modelzone) and note the still use their abbreviated "SBMR" rubber stamp to denote source.

Incidentally no string on my Hattons delivery :(

APOLOGIES have posted this in an incorrect location if a moderator could perhaps relocate it correctly?:)

post-10539-0-13740700-1299666861_thumb.jpg

You can no longer use string to do parcels as the string jams the machinery up in the mail sorting centers.

I believe it is what some call progress :rolleyes: On the other hand it may be inadequate requirements specification or a design that fails to satisfy basic requirements, either of which do seem quite widespread.

Nick

edit: edit: or even urban myth :blink: apparentrly not then, apologies to Terry for doubting him :)

• RMweb Gold

I too received a Hattons order recently in a branded carton and have mixed feelings about the security aspects. It also begs the question whether Hattons will no longer train their staff to improvise with cardboard scrounged from the local supermarket!

You can no longer use string to do parcels as the string jams the machinery up in the mail sorting centers.

Terry

Since when has this rule been in force\?

I send a lot of parcels work wise and my local post office and sorting office actually welcome strung parcels as they are easier to handle! They have certainly never mentioned to me that it is no longer permitted.

I recieved another Hattons delivery last week and that was strung, I had assumed that todays unstrung delivery was because it was just a small carton,

• RMweb Premium

Terry

Source please. I don't believe this to be the case as with others above.

If Hattons wish to use branded cartons that is up to them but one of the aspects of their packing hitherto has been the obvious and creditable use of recycled materials. That has however been offset by the use of vast amounts of often glossy advertising material as packing inside.

If Hattons wish to use branded cartons that is up to them but one of the aspects of their packing hitherto has been the obvious and creditable use of recycled materials. That has however been offset by the use of vast amounts of often glossy advertising material as packing inside.

One of the problems with using branded parcels is the fact that it immediately advises those handling them of what the contents are!

Many years ago there was a very active company in Watford called RAILMAIL ( this was in the 70/80s) they quickly made a big impact on the retail model railway mail order market due to their very competitve pricing, but they did lose quite a few parcels in transit, eventually they stopped plastering their name and business, on their shipments and simply used a couple of initials with a shortened but identifiable address, this cured the problem.. apparently

• RMweb Premium

Terry

Hi

However my parcel this week from Hattons was wrapped in brown paper with string as before.

Cheers

Paul

One of the problems with using branded parcels is the fact that it immediately advises those handling them of what the contents are!

Many years ago there was a very active company in Watford called RAILMAIL ( this was in the 70/80s) they quickly made a big impact on the retail model railway mail order market due to their very competitve pricing, but they did lose quite a few parcels in transit, eventually they stopped plastering their name and business, on their shipments and simply used a couple of initials with a shortened but identifiable address, this cured the problem.. apparently

Amazon don't seem to have a problem but then anything could be in their packages. I recently received a package from Hatton's which wasn't branded - even the Customs Sticker just said "Toy" (no string , though)!

Best, Pete.

Terry

Well perhaps you are unaware that Trainshed Terry works for Royal Mail so maybe he knows better than others. In any event the tone of your post comes across as a little bit bolshie and tantamount to calling him a liar. I feel sure this is not the case however it does highlight the need to consider what you have typed before you post.

Hattons had to stop recycling the vast number of boxes they get in from Hornby and the like because they cannot send anything out in boxes that have been sent to them in case a Scoucer decides to reuse it for fly tipping.

Liverpool council likes to promote local enterprise by prosecuting and fining Hattons every time a Hornby box gets used for fly tipping.

So now the Hornby boxes get securely sent away for recycling and Hattons have to buy shiny new boxes (or scrounge them from the local supermarkets!).

Jobsworth bureaucracy for you.

Hattons had to stop recycling the vast number of boxes they get in from Hornby and the like because they cannot send anything out in boxes that have been sent to them in case a Scoucer decides to reuse it for fly tipping.

Liverpool council likes to promote local enterprise by prosecuting and fining Hattons every time a Hornby box gets used for fly tipping.

So now the Hornby boxes get securely sent away for recycling and Hattons have to buy shiny new boxes (or scrounge them from the local supermarkets!).

Jobsworth bureaucracy for you.

Hattons dont actually send orders out from Liverpool, their warehouse is in Widnes in the borough of Halton in Cheshire! presumably their ex supplier deliveries go there also!

I have had 3 recent deliveries from them in the last 2 or 3 weeks excluding the Logo carton and these were in Bachmann (2) and Hornby (1) cartons,

What is the world coming to. A Hattons parcel without string, doesn't bear thinking about.

Although I'm fond of the string, the postal service over here seems to give more respect to the big red FRAGILE stickers that Rails are using.

Maybe it is just easier for them to toss the string wrapped Hattons packages about and damage them...

I would not advise any supplier to advertise on the parcel, ..why?... long experiences with professionally sending cameras etc., through the post, those identified to a know maker disappeared, and those sent to the service centre with the managers name did not go missing.

It was not Royal Mails fault , they investigated very carefully with dummy mail, and eventually found just one worker in London who knew the camera makers by name, and took parcels when on the return trip, or even on the way there,(still faulty),, when the service centre identified themselves on the box back to us, cured with again private sounding addresses. He had even sent on some faulty cameras to complete the service, not realising that they had already been identified as stolen.

If you deal with Hattons it may be best to drop them a line and explain that you do not want to see the outer advertisement , and say that future orders may depend on it's removal, or covering with a brown wrapper over the lot. Such adverts might even cause domestic arguments!!! or spoil gifts bought for children.....

Stephen.

If you deal with Hattons it may be best to drop them a line and explain that you do not want to see the outer advertisement , and say that future orders may depend on it's removal, or covering with a brown wrapper over the lot. Such adverts might even cause domestic arguments!!! or spoil gifts bought for children.....

Stephen.

Maybe there is more petty thievery in the UK than here, but virtually EVERYONE on this side of the pond uses custom boxes with advertising. B&H cameras, one of the largest and most respected camera dealers in the United States, even uses packing tape with their logos on it. Dell computer, Newegg, they all seem to have distinctive packing or labels, doesn't seem to be an issue. Granted the $1000 stuff usually requires a signature, but there are lots of $100 items in clearly marked boxes getting left in mailboxes out on the the street.

The only thing I can think of that comes in a plain envelope, is replacement credit cards...

Maybe there is more petty thievery in the UK than here, but virtually EVERYONE on this side of the pond uses custom boxes with advertising. B&H cameras, one of the largest and most respected camera dealers in the United States, even uses packing tape with their logos on it. Dell computer, Newegg, they all seem to have distinctive packing or labels, doesn't seem to be an issue. Granted the $1000 stuff usually requires a signature, but there are lots of $100 items in clearly marked boxes getting left in mailboxes out on the the street.

The only thing I can think of that comes in a plain envelope, is replacement credit cards...

I agree, almost everything I've ordered comes in a clearly marked package as to who it's from... Amazon and TigerDirect to name a couple more... I guess it's part of the whole North American mindset when it comes to advertising. The more people see a logo or name, the more likely it is that they will turn to what they recognize for their next purchase or need.

On a side note, I recently purchased a Sony home theater receiver during this past boxing week sale... guess how it came? No wrapping! It was shipped in it's Sony carton, with only a delivery label added!

Hattons dont actually send orders out from Liverpool, their warehouse is in Widnes in the borough of Halton in Cheshire! presumably their ex supplier deliveries go there also!

I have had 3 recent deliveries from them in the last 2 or 3 weeks excluding the Logo carton and these were in Bachmann (2) and Hornby (1) cartons,

Looks like the business has finally been driven out of Liverpool! It is a couple of years since I had to fight my way round the Hornby and Bachmann boxes to even get to the front door of the shop, let alone get inside!

Nice to know that sense has prevailed and the boxes are being recycled efficiently.

• RMweb Gold

I received one of Hattons large cartons today complete with logo.The missus said 'What you been buying now ?' The new Bachmann catalogue.'Pull the other one, its a massive box' It was though. ;)

Contrary to what is asserted amazon have plenty of problems with stuff going walkies. They however ship so much they can use things like statistical analysis to pinpoint what vanishes on what postal routes and to an extent in conjunction with the royal mail if they match certain staff patterns.

I'm not actually suprrised there is a big problem to be honest given the way postal staff are treated and paid.

snapback.pngPete Piszczek, on 11 March 2011 - 21:35 , said:

And I thought you were a broad minded blokelaugh.gif

Now that you mention it, I am, but mine comes via the internet! wink.gif

Archived