Kernow Adams O2

And mainland liveries without the extra plumbing for push pull service. An SR Bullied Black 1942-47 suitable for Bodmin Padstow service is what I really want. 

Most O2's spent most of their "umble lives" chugging about branches on the mainland.

At the Alton Febex last weekend where Mark Pretious's 4mm scale model of Merstone had its first outing, we had a chat with Chris from Kernow, who seemed quite taken by the idea of producing an Island O2 in malachite green British Railways livery.

We didn't exactly get the impression he was going to rush it out however, and he seemed to be hinting at disappointing sales of the island versions...

We shall see.

Chris

At the Alton Febex last weekend where Mark Pretious's 4mm scale model of Merstone had its first outing, we had a chat with Chris from Kernow, who seemed quite taken by the idea of producing an Island O2 in malachite green British Railways livery.

We didn't exactly get the impression he was going to rush it out however, and he seemed to be hinting at disappointing sales of the island versions...

We shall see.

Chris

I would buy one of those! I suspect the slow sales of IoW O2s is because of the lack of suitable coaches. That's certainly what has put me off.

All Kernow need to do is announce they're commissioning two types of IOW coach - an ordinary one and a brake, and sales will pick up. They should just pick either the commonest ones on the island in the 1950s, or the most representative ones that survive at Haven Street. I know the island coaches were a bunch of mongrels, but (I hesitate to say this, but I think it's true) to most people they all look roughly the same. To get the right atmosphere for an IoW model you just need a bunch of ancient looking coaches with low roofs.

The OO9 Lynton & Barnstaple coaches have whetted people's appetites, and I suspect the locos will sell well (despite the high price) because you will be able to buy a fair representation of a whole train.

I admire Kernow Models a lot, but sometimes their decisions seem a bit odd, especially the continued lack of the centre coach for the Hampshire DEMU.

If Kernow are finding that sales of IOW  02's are a bit slow, it is almost certain that a lack of suitable rolling stock is the

problem, and nothing to do with a lack of popularity of the Island railways.

Several manufacturers are about to ' dip their toes in the water ' as far as pre- grouping coaches go. I would expect

sales to be good, as it is virtually uncharted water in RTR. but who knows?.

But I do think that if Hornby's LSW rebuilt , and Bachmann's Birdcage coaches are good sellers then there might be

a demand for some LBSCR bogie stock. There are now locomotives in RTR that can be used with Brighton stock, 

both Island and mainland. Quite a few liveries too, from that expensive tooling.

We shall see.

Chris

Repeat: Most O2's spent most of their "umble lives" chugging about branches on the mainland. And the coaches for these are forthcoming from Hornby (provided they can pay the Chinese factory to make them.)

Too many Wights made by Wong?

If Kernow are finding that sales of IOW  02's are a bit slow, it is almost certain that a lack of suitable rolling stock is the

problem, and nothing to do with a lack of popularity of the Island railways.

Several manufacturers are about to ' dip their toes in the water ' as far as pre- grouping coaches go. I would expect

sales to be good, as it is virtually uncharted water in RTR. but who knows?.

But I do think that if Hornby's LSW rebuilt , and Bachmann's Birdcage coaches are good sellers then there might be

a demand for some LBSCR bogie stock. There are now locomotives in RTR that can be used with Brighton stock, 

both Island and mainland. Quite a few liveries too, from that expensive tooling.

The lack of Island coaching stock could be overcome if one of the very small retailers/manufacturer were to sponsor a suitable prototype, which was point I made when lamenting Bachman's choice for its Birdcage stock. Now had they chosen 54ft ex-LBSC prototypes the picture would be quite different.

I had concluded that Rule 1 would prevail - yet again on my current plank - and mis-use a contemporary ex-LSWR 2-set. Set 734 worked inner suburban trains around Plymouth, and would pass muster with the lights dimmed.

post-489-0-26882500-1455388573.jpg

post-489-0-38641100-1455388597.jpg

I guess that I would have to wait a long time for a loco in Island Southern colours.

PB

• Like 4

Was expecting the IOW ones to be  not so popular, as mentioned there's a few things against them like rolling stock, although there is interest here on the island, sadly those who live on the island are a bit old fashioned so want to see the model run and check it over before purchase, although I know Havenstreet have some models of 24 it's not open at present, spoke to a few visitors in the model shop who didn't even know there was a model of an O2, others want the shop to order it for them, sadly can't do that.

But I am not surprised the IOW ones haven't sold as well as the others.

I think you mean SECR 54ft stock. On the plus side, if Bachmann had chosen these, all three coach types of the 54ft trio sets survive

in preservation, unlike the 60ft variety.

On the down side nearly all 50 footers were heavily rebuilt for IOW service. Only the centre composite retaining it's original

appearance. As the conversions were carried out in 1947/8/9 and sent to the Island, none ever carried BR liveries on

the mainland. One set did remain on the mainland in original condition on the Longmoor Military Railway.

• RMweb Premium

Given the diversity and converted nature of much of the IoW passenger stock the question would arise as to which coach(es) to produce for the O2 to run with.  I suspect that whatever was offered there would be some who suggest it wasn't what they were after.  On the other hand assuming given current difficulties that Hornby does produce the LSW stock that would be more than adequate for the average punter and the typical Havenstreet drop-in visitor who knows little different.

Those of use who want specific vehicles would, as we often do now for a particular item / number / era / livery, have to consider a scratch build or kit bash.

My IoW O2 is intended for display and would therefore be happy enough to have a couple of Hornby coaches parked behind it and in front of a representative back scene.  But each to their own - our wants and needs differ which always makes mass-producing any item something of a guessing game as to how well it might sell.

Yes, the Longmoor Military Railway did indeed have a whole 54ft birdcage 3-set.  Unfortunately the centre CL was damaged in the 1950s and scrapped so only the two brakes survive.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Yes this is true, my point was that a former CL from one of these sets survives on the IOW steam railway.

So had Bachmann chosen this type then prototypes were available for scanning/ measuring etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As the conversions were carried out in 1947/8/9 and sent to the Island, none ever carried BR liveries on the mainland.

I think that would have been the critical factor in Bachmann choosing the longer coaches.

Models in BR livery form the 'base load' for manufacturers in ensuring that total sales of any model (all liveries combined) are sufficient to make it viable. The proportion of modellers following the post-1948 scene relative to earlier periods nowadays is just too dominant to be ignored. 

Any prototype that didn't survive long enough or was radically rebuilt at the wrong time (they want to offer the SR livery, too) is unlikely to be chosen by the r-t-r producers.

Thus, Hornby's ex-LSWR 1930s rebuilds and Kernow's P-P Gate sets will "get away with it" but the shorter Birdcages wouldn't. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I am disappointed to hear that the island models are selling less well. I suppose, like others have said, the lack of suitable r-t-r coaches are the reason. Now I have purchased both island models I am naturally looking for some suitable stock for them to pull. For the time being I may have to hope the ex LSWR stock does get released as I am certainly not a good enough modeller to scratch build anything at this present time.

I would buy one of those! I suspect the slow sales of IoW O2s is because of the lack of suitable coaches. That's certainly what has put me off.

All Kernow need to do is announce they're commissioning two types of IOW coach - an ordinary one and a brake, and sales will pick up. They should just pick either the commonest ones on the island in the 1950s, or the most representative ones that survive at Haven Street. I know the island coaches were a bunch of mongrels, but (I hesitate to say this, but I think it's true) to most people they all look roughly the same. To get the right atmosphere for an IoW model you just need a bunch of ancient looking coaches with low roofs.

Well I managed to pass off Ratio Midland Railway coaches as Brighton stock for a few years at shows with 'Bembridge'.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91438-bembridge-iow/

The temptation to do an 'improved' Bembridge again is there, just need more spare time.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 3

Well I managed to pass off Ratio Midland Railway coaches as Brighton stock for a few years at shows with 'Bembridge'.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91438-bembridge-iow/

The temptation to do an 'improved' Bembridge again is there, just need more spare time.

That' s a thought, the IOW had several Brighton Push-Pull sets, just right for the Bembridge branch. Ventnor West too.

But only O2's No's 35 and 36 were PP.fitted, and would have to be early crest only.

Other O2's did work with these sets, but had to run round at each terminus.

Also alterations were made to the PP sets for Island use. So maybe high risk for the RTR market.

That' s a thought, the IOW had several Brighton Push-Pull sets, just right for the Bembridge branch. Ventnor West too.

But only O2's No's 35 and 36 were PP.fitted, and would have to be early crest only.

Other O2's did work with these sets, but had to run round at each terminus.

Also alterations were made to the PP sets for Island use. So maybe high risk for the RTR market.

The two P&P fitted O2's were late arrivals, and were rarely used, if at all, on P&P work, P&P coach sets were worked by Terriers. The P&P sets ( 483 & 4) used on the Bembridge branch,( and Ventnor West), only when the turntable was being rebuilt in 1936, were old SECR six wheelers converted to 4-wheelers. The few Brighton P&P sets were used mainly on the Newport to Sandown, and Newport to Freshwater branches.

Edited by bike2steam

Chris,

I didn't like to mention it when I saw you the other day, but .........!!  :jester:

Looking forward to seeing your completed coaches sometime soon!

all the best

Godfrey

A friend of mine built an Adams radial tank and bingo!    Someone has to do it.......................

• RMweb Premium

I am disappointed to hear that the island models are selling less well. I suppose, like others have said, the lack of suitable r-t-r coaches are the reason. Now I have purchased both island models I am naturally looking for some suitable stock for them to pull. For the time being I may have to hope the ex LSWR stock does get released as I am certainly not a good enough modeller to scratch build anything at this present time.

I'm not sure if it was on here on not, but someone produced a pretty reasonable attempt at some generic compartment stock by sticking together a couple of bodies from Hornbys 4 wheeled coach (3 compartments on a brake van chassis thingy) on a suitably shortened RTR underframe.

Its also a relatively prototypical thing to do as the Southern Railway found it a very economical way of creating new coaches.

• Like 1