Wainwright C-class 0-6-0

phil gollin

I still cannot figure out why my 271 runs like a walking chimpanzee while my other 2 C class are smooth with no woddle.

The trouble is I cannot send it back replacement because there ain't any.

The only recourse is either Bachmann (might tell me the same) or strip this and another C down to see where the fault lies by process of elimination.

I,ve checked the normal suspects (back to back, quartering) but cannot pin it down.

• RMweb Gold

I still cannot figure out why my 271 runs like a walking chimpanzee while my other 2 C class are smooth with no woddle.

The trouble is I cannot send it back replacement because there ain't any.

The only recourse is either Bachmann (might tell me the same) or strip this and another C down to see where the fault lies by process of elimination.

I,ve checked the normal suspects (back to back, quartering) but cannot pin it down.

Worth checking the gears for any moulding flash - I have come across this a couple of times (though not recently) and the difference after it's removed has to be seen to be believed! 

John

The likely culprit is a mismachined chassis block that doesn't align with the rods. Can be sorted.

Thanks. I striped down entirely 2 C class chassis. After swapping over wheel sets, I found it was the wheel set on the new loco.

Maybe they are just off centre.

There other things, one bearing was not seated correctly, a bit of isolating tape was fouling the rear pair of drivers.

Upon re-assembly, it runs better, the 2mm side to roll has reduced to 1mm, the loco runs quieter but it is still worse than the other pair by a wide margin.

Oddly it draws less electricity than the older pair, and is about 20% faster.

To convert to DCC sound or not convert, that is the question?

After resisting the temptation for another SECR version (I already have the first, more ornate release), I decided to put one in my shopping cart on Hattons website - they had three in stock. I thought about it for a bit ...

"Do I really need this?"

"Yes, but I want it! It will provide a second matching pre-grouping train for running sessions."

"Oh but I shouldn't spend the money."

And on it went.

I refreshed the page for the shopping cart. Two in stock.

"Should I commit or shouldn't I?"

Refresh page again. One in stock!

"Ummm ... "

Refresh page - none left!!

Problem solved!

Except ... two days later, i have ordered one from Hereford Model Centre, with whom I have also successfully dealt before.

Oh! The weakness and the humanity of it all! [Heavy sigh.]

• Like 4

HI Jeff,

I understand completely.  I have done this with the original release Bachmann NRM prototype Deltic.  I looked at it, thought about it for a while, then when I decided to buy it, they had gone.  They did do another release, but at the more expensive price and that was too much for me and for a diesel.  If it were the same price I would have bought one.  But I have also picked up some bargains by either placing them in the basket and going back and buying them.

This looks like another stunner, but as I have the first issue, I will stick with that.  Actually I had it on order with Rails of Sheffield which could not supply my order. So I found one at the no defunct The Signal Box in Rochester.  Nice shop to visit back in 2011.

Look forward to seeing it sometime.  Maybe there will be some more good news in just over a weeks time with Bachmann announcement.

Mark 

Hi Mark.

I'm sure if it will arrive in time for my BRMA meeting in August, so if you are able to come to that I'll be more than happy to show it off.

As for the Signal Box, I had good service from them on the few occasions I used them. The last order I did with them was in the mail even as they suddenly closed (whew!!).

Thanks. I striped down entirely 2 C class chassis. After swapping over wheel sets, I found it was the wheel set on the new loco.

Maybe they are just off centre.

There other things, one bearing was not seated correctly, a bit of isolating tape was fouling the rear pair of drivers.

Upon re-assembly, it runs better, the 2mm side to roll has reduced to 1mm, the loco runs quieter but it is still worse than the other pair by a wide margin.

Oddly it draws less electricity than the older pair, and is about 20% faster.

To convert to DCC sound or not convert, that is the question?

Found the problem. The centre right driver is not entirely round. Whipped it off, a light skimming in a lathe, back on, runs as sweet as a nut now.

• Like 2

Could someone tell me when the 2 released secr liveries where active, I assume the brass dome fully lined livery is earlier and as Bachmann are to release the birdcage coaches in era 2 would they be suitable for this goods engine ? If not I wonder why Bachmann are to release the coaches in secr livery

While the Cs were ostensibly goods engines, they could and did haul passenger trains too. The SECR 'birdcage' sets will not be out of place with a C in front.

You are correct in that the more ornate version is earlier, the less ornate one was as a result of cost-cutting, although it was still an attractive livery, but was it overkill for a 'goods engine'? Perhaps, in light of what I said first, the powers that be still wanted a presentable livery. During and after the 1st World War, a grey livery was adopted for locomotives, as per the Bachmann Collector's Club release earlier this year.

Thanks for that I think the 60ft birdcage coaches were built in 1912 so I assume either the later green or plain grey livery would be correct although it then depends on when the coaches carried the SECR dark lake livery, pregrouping rtr more please

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that I think the 60ft birdcage coaches were built in 1912 so I assume either the later green or plain grey livery would be correct although it then depends on when the coaches carried the SECR dark lake livery, pregrouping rtr more please

IIRC the plain green livery with yellow lettering & numbers didn't come about till WW1 and fancy liveries were frowned upon. The plain grey with white numbers came later and wasn't introduced till halfway through the conflict, some sources say to help railway staff in identifying locos as even the yellow lettering was apparently hard to read when locos were extremely dirty due to a lack of cleaners.

Yes, the grey livery wasn't until part-way through WW1 - my "during" was a bit vague but I wasn't trying to give a detailed history. That does mean the greens survived through at least some of WW1. It is possible that a few locomtives may have gone through the whole war in green - such things did happen during WW2.

The likely culprit is a mismachined chassis block that doesn't align with the rods. Can be sorted.

Aren't the slots for the wheels part of the original block casting. More likely the stamped rods, with variable pressure, are not identical. Either that or misjudged shrinkage claculations after casting.

If the block is mismachined, the distance between the wheels centres will vary when measured with calipers, and i have yet to find this on any poorly running locos. Always traced to the rods, wheels or gears.

Has anyone had the 'lid' off the 'C' class chassis yet? I am wondering if the underside of the boiler is part of the chassis or is it a straightforward chassis with motor. Reason for asking is I would like to try and fit it inside my L&Y 'A' class 0-6-0 but would like some reassurances before lashing out £90 smackers.

I'm not sure why the original topic was abandoned but this was posted when you were having similar thoughts a couple of years back. There may be more in that topic.

Nick

Much appreciated Nick....I just didn't know where to start to find the old info. Going off the info via the link you gave, I think it will go inside the firebox but with some intrusion into the cab space.

Edited by coachmann

I have a C class in bits at the mo' and will be taking pics. Let me know if there is anything in particular that you want to know.

The images on another thread show the motot stands 40mm above rail level and is in line with the centre line of the rear wheels. From this i am assuming it will just fit into the Lanky 3F 0-6-0 if i remove the backhead from the cab.

It would be useful to know the width of the motor though and the diameter of the 'C' Class boiler please.

Larry

Edited by coachmann

Width of the motor housing is just under 15mm, but there are projecting lugs on each side beyond that that I filed off to get my CR body  on it. Not sure of the boiler diameter, but the space inside the C body moulding measured up at a bit over 15mm- it's the usual tight fit.

• RMweb Premium

To add to what Ben wrote, the o/s diameter of the boiler is 19.5mm. The motor itself is about 13.5mm wide across its flats. The rear motor housing is 14.5mm wide, just forward of the rear axle. The top of the motor is 38mm above rail level, capacitors soldered onto its top may increase this slightly.

Width of the motor housing is just under 15mm, but there are projecting lugs on each side beyond that that I filed off to get my CR body  on it. Not sure of the boiler diameter, but the space inside the C body moulding measured up at a bit over 15mm- it's the usual tight fit.

To add to what Ben wrote, the o/s diameter of the boiler is 19.5mm. The motor itself is about 13.5mm wide across its flats. The rear motor housing is 14.5mm wide, just forward of the rear axle. The top of the motor is 38mm above rail level, capacitors soldered onto its top may increase this slightly.

Wow, the power of RMweb!  Thank you. I can make a scale drawing from the measurements you have both provided. Interesting to read you have fitted the chassis in one of your Caley locos Ben Alder......... I'd be interested to see the results.

Wow, the power of RMweb!  Thank you. I can make a scale drawing from the measurements you have both provided. Interesting to read you have fitted the chassis in one of your Caley locos Ben Alder......... I'd be interested to see the results.

Coming up in the next few days.....

• Like 1

Here are the results of my extravagance! New, simplified SECR livery 271 is towards the rear, while the previous issue with full lining 592 is on the nearer track.

BachmannSECRCclasslocossidebyside-1_zps4

BachmannSECRCclasslocossidebyside-2_zpsf

271 doesn't have all its fittings added yet, although I added a crew (probably slightly too modern). After running in on the rolling road on DC, it became smoother and the slight frot end waddle reduced as it ran, so I fitted a Bachmann 36-557 decoder, which works OK but is a little 'chattery' - I didn't have any other 21-pin decoders in stock.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4