Wainwright C-class 0-6-0

phil gollin

I have  just  secured  a  GREEN  Wainwright  C class from  Arcadiarail  Oldham  £96.00

Tim has  a  few  more  in  stock  NOW  should  anyone  want  one

Best  to  Phone  if  poss, not  email

Edited by Stevelewis

Just  received  a  C class in  green,  I am  sure  that  the  earlier  black ones  which  I decoder  fitted  for  a  friend  had  tender  pickups  However  this  one  doesnt!

Can  any one  confirm  whether or not  tender  pickups  should be present

Thanks

There are no tender pickups on any variant of this model.  It's the Hornby models that have these ...

I cannot  quite  understand  Bachmann's recent  logic  concerning  tender  pickups,  3f  None,  4f  has   as  do  D 11 &  J11

According  to  the  write up on  the  C class in  2014  Britains  Model  Trains  the  C  class Does  have  tender  pickups! 

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that none of the Bachmann C Class releases have had tender pick ups. The DCC socket is in the tender hence the wires between the tender the loco.

I can confirm that none of the Bachmann C Class releases have had tender pick ups. The DCC socket is in the tender hence the wires between the tender the loco.

Thanks  for  the  confirmation,  So Britains  \model  trains  2014  is  incorrect!!

I appreciate  the  rreason  for  the  inter loco trender  cabling,  I have    digitised  so  many  locos  recenlty  for  friends  that  it  all has  become  a blur,  I could  have  sworn  the  C class  was  tender pickup  equiped!!

I have   been  giving   the C class which  arrived today  a  test on analogue  before  sticking a  decoder  in it,   and   have  noticed  that   it   does  hesitate  noticably  on a dead frog & 2  dead  frog points,  specifically used on my  test track ( to  test  pickups)  It  will be interseting  to  see  when  I have  fitted decoder and  stay  alive it  is  any improvement

I'll be  back  in  15  mins!

• RMweb Gold

I've found problems with one of mine where it's parked in a siding and occasionally needs a prompt to get started again.  It seems not all the pickups are in full contact with the wheels and a bit of tweaking was required.  With the engine-tender wiring already in place it should be easy enough to fit tender pickups using these - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87949-dcc-concepts-oo-gauge-wheel-pickups/

Edited by RFS

I have 3 C class none with tender pick ups.

On the latest one, I stripped it down to fix a bug. While I was there I adjusted all pickups, so now it really is sweat and won't stop over dead frogs.

That said, getting the keep plate off is a cow because of the metal sand pipes. You need to bend these straight. Pay attention that you do not snap them, they seem to be sprung steel.

Well the  plot  thickens!!,  I did not  get  to  fit  a  decoder  to the  loco,  It  will be  heading  back  to  the  supplier  I am  afraid!

One of  my  neighbours  came  by (also  an  entusiast  and  ex  ER  loco driver)  so showing  him  the  C class, he  observed  that  it  had  a  prounced  wobble  notice  more  when  viewing  it  head  on  rather  than  from the  side,  surprising  really  i  dont  often  have Bachmann locos  with  fauults

Well the  plot  thickens!!,  I did not  get  to  fit  a  decoder  to the  loco,  It  will be  heading  back  to  the  supplier  I am  afraid!

One of  my  neighbours  came  by (also  an  entusiast  and  ex  ER  loco driver)  so showing  him  the  C class, he  observed  that  it  had  a  prounced  wobble  notice  more  when  viewing  it  head  on  rather  than  from the  side,  surprising  really  i  dont  often  have Bachmann locos  with  fauults

My latest one had a noticeable front end shimmy when I first tested it but it really straightened out after a couple of hours running at half speed on the rolling road. I am very happy with it now.

I fitted a decoder but it was one of the cheap Bachmann (Soundtraxx) ones. The running is smooth enough with this decoder but it sounds a bit 'chattery' so I will be replacing the decoder with a TCS or Lenz one in due course.

My other two Cs from the first production batches have TCS EU621 decoders fitted which work beautifully and neither exhibited the slight wobble of this latest one.

My latest one had a noticeable front end shimmy when I first tested it but it really straightened out after a couple of hours running at half speed on the rolling road. I am very happy with it now.

I fitted a decoder but it was one of the cheap Bachmann (Soundtraxx) ones. The running is smooth enough with this decoder but it sounds a bit 'chattery' so I will be replacing the decoder with a TCS or Lenz one in due course.

My other two Cs from the first production batches have TCS EU621 decoders fitted which work beautifully and neither exhibited the slight wobble of this latest one.

This one  is  heading  back  to  the  retailer, something  which  I find   is  occuring  more  frequently  these  days,  If  an  item  does  not  perform  reasonably well initially, I reject  it

Re  decoders  ,  almost  20 years  of Digital  experience  has  taught  me  that  price  has  little  to do  with  decoder performance,  its  the CV  settings  that  the user implements that  matter,    I have  used  many  Bachmann  "cheap"  decoders  without  any issues,  currently  I am fitting  Hattons even cheaper  decoders  which  perform  admirably

This one  is  heading  back  to  the  retailer, something  which  I find   is  occuring  more  frequently  these  days,  If  an  item  does  not  perform  reasonably well initially, I reject  it

Re  decoders  ,  almost  20 years  of Digital  experience  has  taught  me  that  price  has  little  to do  with  decoder performance,  its  the CV  settings  that  the user implements that  matter,    I have  used  many  Bachmann  "cheap"  decoders  without  any issues,  currently  I am fitting  Hattons even cheaper  decoders  which  perform  admirably

Yes this batch seem to be the chimpanzee walking style group. There is something wrong with one of the centre drivers on this model. I posted earlier that I had to skim it with a lathe to make it round.

Initially it wobbled and rocked more than the old Hornby 0-6-0 SSPP generic chassis with traction tyres. It was also more noisy. Now it quiet and runs much better with just a hint of rocking, but no more than the first batch.

It has been run so much trying to iron out the problem, that it consumes 20% less electricity than its older class mates.

Apparently the lack of tender pickups was to save money on the tooling as the secr passenger livery was so expensive to make. I have one of the secr livery c classes and it runs like a pig, after having its wheels cleaned thouroghly and having been oiled. Its a shame that they sacrificed performance just to keep the prices down, as im sure many people would rather have tender pickups than a complex liverys (if the rumour i heard was true).

• RMweb Gold

Interesting this..I have one of the first batch 'C'....a B.R. one which,coincidentally,I purchased from Steve a while back. I have to say it runs ok.But there is obviously a problem with some of this batch. Try contacting Barwell to see what they think......they are both approachable and helpful.

I have  just  secured  a  GREEN  Wainwright  C class from  Arcadiarail  Oldham  £96.00

Tim has  a  few  more  in  stock  NOW  should  anyone  want  one

Best  to  Phone  if  poss, not  email

Timely link so thanks. A quick chat with another Oldhamer and I've got a C class winging its way to NWales. As with the initial batch, they are selling out fast.

Where did you get it from Coach?. Thanks.

I can  help  you  there  see earlier  posts   ARCADIARAIL  SHAW,, Tim  has   or  had 2  days  ago  all 3  variants  in  stock,  best  to  phone  not  email  it  is  a  busy  shop.

phone  nuimber  is  on www.arcadiarail.co.uk

***NOTE ALSO****  He  is  CLOSED TUESDAYS  and  then  the  shop is  closed  from JULY 31  for  a  week  for  HOLS

Edited by Stevelewis

Just  a  couple  of  quik observations  re  the  C class  and  another  Bachmann  0-6-0  the  J11  which  may  prove  helpful to  those  experiencing Cclass running  problems.

Both  the  2  locs  are similar in design  EXCEPT  for  the  C  class lack of tender  pickups.

The  C class  still has  cables  between loco & tender to accomodate  the  decoder  socket in the  tender  EVEN IF THE LOCO IS NOT BEING USED DIGITALLY  THIS CONNECTION IS STIILL  REQUIRED  as  the decoder

socket  has to have its  blanking plug fitted to allow  the  motor to receive DC power!

We have  a  small test  track incorporating some insulfrog points  and  it  was  notable  that  the  C class  juddered on these  and  at low  speeds  sometimes  stopped, whereas  the  J11  had  no  problems  at  any speed,  thus indicating  that  the J11's tender pickups  were supplying the power  when  the loco drivers  were on the dead  frogs. 

HOWEVER  we  noticed  something  of  more significance,  the  cables linking  the loco tender  had  a tendency to lift the loco up fractionally thus raising  the  rear loco axle  ever so slightly, but enough to interrupt power pickup and  cause  the juddering  effect.

Careful repositioning of these  cable  may help somewhat, but if the loco is to be  used on Analogue only, it should be poss to eliminate the  tender to loco cables and simply connect  the 2 sets of  cables withing the loco ( I have not confirmed if  this  is  feasable as I have not  removed a C class loco body)  Also loosening the keeper plate screws slightly on the loco may also  help the  situation.

Hope this  helps.  incidentally  I know  a  guy  who  has   both  Bachmann 3f  & 4 f locos,  he  says  his  4fs get  a lot more  use  than the  3fs,  ( the  4fs  have  tender  pickups  the  3fs  dont!)

Pics  show  the J11 not  a  C class!!

post-10539-0-03852400-1406483351.jpg

post-10539-0-93623800-1406483361.jpg

Edited by Stevelewis

I bought the SECR liveried one from Arcadia on Saturday, and it wasn't the last one he had in that livery. I also saw the Southern liveried varient (didn't look for the BR one, but that didn't mean that he didn't have any).

Also took the opportunity to preorder the E4 in LBSCR umber, as I suspect that these will prove as popular as the original SECR liveried release of the C class.

Apparently the lack of tender pickups was to save money on the tooling as the secr passenger livery was so expensive to make. I have one of the secr livery c classes and it runs like a pig, after having its wheels cleaned thouroghly and having been oiled. Its a shame that they sacrificed performance just to keep the prices down, as im sure many people would rather have tender pickups than a complex liverys (if the rumour i heard was true).

Hi 

The thing is the price has not been kept down,But has gone up, So if the price has gone up why do they not fit pickups the tender?.