Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

That's very good, Dave.

In the early days of Compact Discs, manufacturers were getting a 25% failure rate (outside red book specs). It was unfortunate that demand way outstripped total World supply at the time and the 25% rejects were part of the total supply numbers......

I had to stop EMI giving out my 'phone number after foolishly saying that my voice might help in molifying the general public. I found out very quickly that the people I spoke to were not representative of our "customers" after having an angry, very famous,  Doctor on the blower complaining about "distortion" on Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar on "Let's Dance". I told him to use his own advice of sideways (sic) thinking...(electric guitars are always distorted to a greater or lesser degree because we treat guitar amps as being euphonic).

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Handsome stuff T-G!

Mike - this might help regarding the numberplate alignment.... as Andy says the dotted line on the model is the centre line, but the top edge of the plate should just about line up with the bottom of the cab door handle recess. The numberplate being shallower in depth (on your green example) needs to be lined up using Dapol's dotted line I'm afraid, but the centre line is the same as that of the numberplate.

attachicon.gifBRWR D1082 W #408.jpg

11thseptember1965.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is a picture of 1036 Western Emperor at Aylesbury  11th September 1965 by John Reed note the numberplate  is higher was this unique for this loco or did any other westerns have the high numberplate, I think this loco will become a fleet member on our Aylesbury layout.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 3

Hi Dave

Is 26 the total fail rate including QC in china or the number that have made it as far as the customer?

Cheers

Jim

edit - why do i have to edit most of my posts on iPad to get the layout WSIWYG?

Hi Jim,

That figure is based on 'end user' sales. so of course doesnt take into account the number of failures they have in china that could put a totally different slant on things if the bigger picture was taken into account.

However being typically Chinese, we never know or get to know what the QC failure rate is in China, and to be fair as long as the models we receive are under the 4% it doesnt become an issue.

Interestingly, since our 'W' warranty came into being almost a year ago we have had under 40 loco's across the whole range written off due to being non repairable, so things are improving nicely.

Now to get the Chinese to make like Kato or Tomix, thats the next challenge.

cheers

Dave

11thseptember1965.jpg

This is a picture of 1036 Western Emperor at Aylesbury  11th September 1965 by John Reed note the numberplate  is higher was this unique for this loco or did any other westerns have the high numberplate, I think this loco will become a fleet member on our Aylesbury layout.

David

A Western on an Autocoach, what a great picture.

any details on the working?

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

That figure is based on 'end user' sales. so of course doesnt take into account the number of failures they have in china that could put a totally different slant on things if the bigger picture was taken into account.

However being typically Chinese, we never know or get to know what the QC failure rate is in China, and to be fair as long as the models we receive are under the 4% it doesnt become an issue.

Interestingly, since our 'W' warranty came into being almost a year ago we have had under 40 loco's across the whole range written off due to being non repairable, so things are improving nicely.

Now to get the Chinese to make like Kato or Tomix, thats the next challenge.

cheers

Dave

A Western on an Autocoach, what a great picture.

any details on the working?

cheers

Dave

Is it an Autocoach, or an Inspection Coach? Odd to see it being propelled if it was the former, as I didn't think autocoaches had the relevant control gear for diesels.

Guest jim s-w

Thanks for the clarification Dave

As you wisely say "Way too early to start saying its' got quality issues." but equally its way to early to start quoting the reurns as a massive success either, the model has only been available for a fortnight, your manufacturers guarentee lasts for at least a year.

Edited by jim s-w

• RMweb Gold

Yes, a former GWR Hawksworth inspection saloon. File under prototype for everything department.

Perfectly normal working - the Inspection Coach invariably had to be propelled to afford the best view for the folk doing the inspecting.  A dip into memory suggests the maximum speed when propelling was limited to 60 mph with a diesel loco (and something like about 25 mph when inspecting).

Perfectly normal working - the Inspection Coach invariably had to be propelled to afford the best view for the folk doing the inspecting.  A dip into memory suggests the maximum speed when propelling was limited to 60 mph with a diesel loco (and something like about 25 mph when inspecting).

I should've made it clearer. It's the fact that it's a Western propelling it that's noreworthy, not that the inspection saloon is getting propelled. I know they get propelled - I've snapped them often enough.

11thseptember1965.jpg

David

Hi David - yes I should have qualified my previous post on the numberplate position with reference to D1036, as it was the only member of the class to have it's plates in a non standard higher position. Various reasons have been given for this down the years, but I'm almost certain it was because of the AWS / ATC gear fitted inside the cab on this loco being slightly different to the rest. The nameplates on D1036 were always mounted in the same position as the rest of the class though.

Cracking photo! Probably a 'jolly boys outing' from Old Oak and back... ;-)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

Hi Richard,

Way too early to start saying its' got quality issues.

Chine expect 4% failure rate on all models and that's about normal in this Industry.

That equates so far as numbers are concerned as 26 models, and we are nowhere near that figure. Add to this that only 1 loco has yet been written off due to g-shock causing the cab end to crack, we are still batting high figures here.

This will of course annoy lots of people who get models that don't behave as they should, but we are on the case and can only apologise. However, spares are here with more inbound from China, and we have spare chassis for 'W' warranty replacements in place with DCC supplies, just in case.

You will note from previous posters that their models have been returned to them within 48 hours fully working as well.

With this in mind I think it's a little too early to say that "the sky is falling in" on this model with regards to below average QC faults and unheard of low write off figures.

Cheers

Dave

If the industry are expecting a 4% failure rate then it's high time they implemented Quality Assurance (QA) rather than Quality Control (QC).  A manufacturing company with a customer reject rate of 4% wouldn't be in business very long.

• Like 2

If the industry are expecting a 4% failure rate then it's high time they implemented Quality Assurance (QA) rather than Quality Control (QC).  A manufacturing company with a customer reject rate of 4% wouldn't be in business very long.

Pretty much standard as i understand it across most Chinese factories (i could be wrong though), but certainly my 3.

• Like 2

Hi David - yes I should have qualified my previous post on the numberplate position with reference to D1036, as it was the only member of the class to have it's plates in a non standard higher position. Various reasons have been given for this down the years, but I'm almost certain it was because of the AWS / ATC gear fitted inside the cab on this loco being slightly different to the rest. The nameplates on D1036 were always mounted in the same position as the rest of the class though.

Cracking photo! Probably a 'jolly boys outing' from Old Oak and back... ;-)

Was the numberplate high on both sides or just one side.

David

Is it me as had the western replaced today only to find the 2nd one has done exactly the same and burnt out the decoder for the lights within the same time.I add i am running dc and have had no problems with any other locos including the Dapol 22s.its so frustrating as to what is happening and wonder if to keep trying.

help.

richard.

Hi Richard,

Gareth's PM'd me on this and of course it will get sorted for you.

2 to the same customer always concerns me as going back for a replacement is a leap of faith, and to have it happen again is awful.

Can you let me know how it goes, but if you want me to run one for you, testing it thoroughly and sending directly to you please let me know and I'll sort it.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Dave.

gareth phoned me today and has got the 1st run back running with lights by fitting a Bachmann decoder i believe although has stated cant replace until more info about what is happening.The 2nd one is a far worse state although still runs has completly melted the light decoders and 4 of the led lights.As stated to gareth i am using gaugemaster combi controllers but have had no problems with any other loco so cant see this being the problem but seems to be drawing to much currant for the decoder.

I thank you for your time and effort to help but is a big concern as no one else has reported any of these faults of late.

Just want a trouble free one to hopefully lead to a few more to replace my Heljan ones.

regards.

richard.

• RMweb Gold

Evening everyone

I spent a bit of yesterday in the model room taking a series of photos of my unmodified Dapol D1000 versus one of my unmodified Heljan's D1012 Western Firebrand.

I stress I have no commercial allegiance to either company - and apols for one or two that have the colours awry or slightly out of focus.

post-6925-0-08514000-1362424202_thumb.jpg

The detailed cab interior on Dapol is substantially better than the spartan Heljan.

However the windscreen pillar spoils the much closer to prototype windscreen

post-6925-0-39619600-1362424673_thumb.jpg

Heljan peaked cap cab roof clearly apparent here

post-6925-0-63228800-1362424526_thumb.jpg

Ride height differences apparent between the two models

EDIT: Dapol wheelset 13.65 mm Heljan 14.5mm (and correct)

Differences in cabside windows apparent.

post-6925-0-49019600-1362424697_thumb.jpg

Another view of the misshapen Heljan cab roof profile- Dapol wins here hands down

post-6925-0-15347700-1362424993_thumb.jpg

Plan view - showing etched grilles (Dapol) and moulded (Heljan). In 4mm they should be 14mm diameter, Dapol=13mm Heljan 15mm. So the 2mm difference is quite exaggerated.

post-6925-0-48420400-1362425018_thumb.jpg

post-6925-0-75437800-1362425038_thumb.jpg

Two close ups with alignments to a Bachmann BG- to my eyes both profiles look more or less spot on - sorry couldn't get the definitive pic here but you get the idea.

My assessment? well Dapol much better but certainly not spot on - Heljan needs much more work and the peaked cap when reworked really does make a big difference.

Make you mind up time- i won't sell my Heljans, but certainly won't cancel my numerous Dapol preorders.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 14

Downendian - I notice you haven't fitted the headcodes to D1000, just like me. Am I the only one to think that self-adhesive headcodes are a bit 'Triang Hornby' on a model that is otherwise meant to be the Rolls Royce of RTR diesels, with a (limited edition, admittedly) price-tag to match?

Great pics and clearly the Dapol one is now the 'definitive' class 52. However how exactly  can the Heljan  'peaked cap'  effect be  removed though? It probably looks pretty close when

it is done-anyone know how? any images??