Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

4 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Here it is in Swindon Works, still in golden ochre in '64...

D1015SWWKSAGYUK.jpg.5b24c2cfc326449cadfba701b6088fec.jpg

(Photo Anthony Guppy collection, original photographer unknown)

It was a photo by T.B.Owen in the colour album 'Heyday of the Westerns' of D1015 in this exact position on trestles, dated 22nd March 1964, which alerted me to the fact that my careful detail painting only a few weeks earlier had been a waste of time! So now I have to do the same detail painting again, to reverse it all - and more awkward this time as the fully detailed bufferbeams are attached to the loco. Thanks Swindon (grrrrr!)

Champion obviously emerged from this works visit with its unique livery still intact as it was still in Golden Ochre livery when rostered to work the empty stock from Sir Winston Churchill's funeral train in January the following year. D1015 was my last required Western and made me wait 9 months to find it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

It was a photo by T.B.Owen in the colour album 'Heyday of the Westerns' of D1015 in this exact position on trestles, dated 22nd March 1964, which alerted me to the fact that my careful detail painting only a few weeks earlier had been a waste of time! So now I have to do the same detail painting again, to reverse it all - and more awkward this time as the fully detailed bufferbeams are attached to the loco. Thanks Swindon (grrrrr!)

Champion obviously emerged from this works visit with its unique livery still intact as it was still in Golden Ochre livery when rostered to work the empty stock from Sir Winston Churchill's funeral train in January the following year. D1015 was my last required Western and made me wait 9 months to find it!

I was looking for that book to confirm the date but realised I lent it out to someone and never got it back, a heinous crime! I scanned the Trevor Owen photo before lending it out though...

ScannedImage-19.jpg.1df4e574a4ee79afe7effb9ab066a63e.jpg

• Like 5

There’s a photo of Champion at Swindon in the snow in January ‘63 on page 55 of ‘Looking back at Westerns’ by Kevin Derrick (Strathwood).  It has the yellow T.  This was removed after a couple of days and was never carried in service.

The ‘T’ re-emerged in 1985 at the Old Oak Common Open Day.  It was also in this livery in August 2002 at St Blazey.

I have had confirmation from Dapol that the headcode blinds in the latest batch of 52s are not self-adhesive.

I have cut mine out and fitted them behind the glazing using Glue n Glaze.

I damaged one in trying to remove it as I had assumed it was self-adhesive.  Fortunately I am being provided with a replacement by Albie the Plumber.  Dapol are also sending me a replacement set.

Andrew

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

There’s a photo of Champion at Swindon in the snow in January ‘63 on page 55 of ‘Looking back at Westerns’ by Kevin Derrick (Strathwood).  It has the yellow T.  This was removed after a couple of days and was never carried in service.

The ‘T’ re-emerged in 1985 at the Old Oak Common Open Day.  It was also in this livery in August 2002 at St Blazey.

Several high quality photos were taken that day outside A Shop and seeing them in print or online it often looks like they were taken lest week, not sixty years ago. Misha Black was present along with the Works manager and a few others, a couple of them quite liked the T shaped yellow panel but were outvoted and so 1015 went back into A Shop to have it painted out and redone to match the half panel at the other end. Even so, it was still unique as the yellow panel didn’t go right down to the lip of the buffer beam area.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, apologies if it has. For those modelling 1015, also worth noting it’s lamp brackets on A end are the “wrong” way round. The ridges on the brackets face inwards, where as I am pretty sure all other cabs of Thousands they face outwards. They are the same now, and the picture above proves in was the case when it was built or at least very soon afterwards , rather than the result of a repair.

We have always suspected a Friday after job when it was being built.

• Like 2

I spent a large chunk of yesterday sat in Small Heath Yard going back through this thread and remembered the debate about headcode blinds and the size of the font used - looking for something else just now I came across this Simon Turner pic from one of the Hydraulic facebook groups, not sure which Thousand it came from but the blinds are the '60s originals...

FBSimonTurnerD1003hbox.jpg.c1207ff0a4fea4f33064ea01f929843d.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

D1015 fitted with offset dominoes as in August 2002 when she spent ‘a day on the clay’ running a rake of CDAs from Goonbarrow to Fowey Carne Point.

I just have to sort out the light bleed with black-tack.

IMG_2663.jpeg

Edited by mevaman1
Typo
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Does anyone know how to fit the headcodes to the N gauge version (2D-003-014)?  The instruction sheet doesn't cover this feature.

Dapol expects you to stick them on the outside of the headcode panel, as per the OO version.

• Thanks 1