Suggestions for starting with brass kits?

I intend to build some GWR OO gauge brass and/or white metal kits. I have a short list of manufacturers :

Blacksmith Models

Dart Castings ( who will soon also be selling the Falcon Brassworks range of kits)

Wizard Models

Is there anybody else that I have missed ? I would love some 1, 3, 4 or 5 plank wagons but kits of these seem to be a bit scarce. Brake vans are well catered for !

I am looking forward to the Falcon range being available. I have called Dart Castings and they said it would be about two months before they are ready to sell any wagon kits. I did not ask about the loco kits.

Guest dilbert

Dart Castings / MJT also resale the Frogmore Conspiracy range

ABS (Fourmost) - (though I think these are now only available at shows)

D&S (if you can find 'em)

Chivers FIneline may still have some models (like the GW Beetle dia W8)

David Geen (including the GW Wagon range)

SE FInecast has a couple models (eg Shunter's Truck)

... dilbert

Is there a reason why your not looking for plastic kits as well?

....... apart perhaps from wanting to hone your soldering skills etc., wink.gif

Exactly : I have built dozens of plastic kits and now it is time to build some brass kits and develop my skills working in metal. At least now I know where all the bits and pieces are supposed to go ! Eventually I will build a locomotive kit ; probably a small industrial loco to begin with. I thought brass wagons would be a cheap way to start learning.

I have added a few manufacturers to my list thanks to the above people giving their suggestions :

SE Finecast, Southwark Bridge Models, Mousa Models and Roxey Mouldings.

NOTE : London Road Models do not accept credit card orders so that is no good to me in Australia.

NOTE : I thought Chivers only did plastic models ?

Exactly : I have built dozens of plastic kits and now it is time to build some brass kits and develop my skills working in metal.

Sorry Brian, I started the reply thinking why...., then I realised as the digit was descending on the 'post' button,

you have a decent posting history on here and thus there was some other reason, ........... as opposed to say a newbie sort of question!!!

Then the telephone rang and 10 seconds later the doorbell, and my neighbour's kitchen is flooded -

"Can you help me, please", and so life goes on for us retired people in a village.

Just back, time to walk the dog, get changed and off to a dinner party at 6.30pm

- saw a sign in a pub last night (Tricky Dickies, Redruth - listening to band called '4 Tons of Funk')

'The great thing about living in a village is,

'If you've forgotten what your suppose to be doing,

somebody else will know tell you' tongue.gif

NOTE : London Road Models do not accept credit card orders so that is no good to me in Australia.

London Road Models do take credit card payments, although they are only able to accept mail orders.

LRM does have a number of Australian customers, although I guess if you are in a hurry, mail order doesn't suit.

Brian,

The D&S white metal GWR wagon kits were (mostly) taken over by ABS. I was fortunate enough to grab a few while they were on the Keykits site. The outside framed brake van and W2 cattle wagon are certainly worth obtaining as are a number of the ABS kits. As I am also in Australia I have the same issues as you - perhaps time to go back to the old bank cheque approach.

The David Geen kits are very nice, although I would caution that David has a bit of a backlog at present and is trying to catch up on that - do not expect immediate delivery!

If you are new to etched kits I would caution against the Southwark Bridge Models. They are very accurate, very detailed and the instructions are first rate but they are also very complex. I have a ballast hopper under construction and it is going together nicely but as a first or second up to learn soldering?.... a very definite no.

regards,

Craig W

Brian,

As I am also in Australia I have the same issues as you - perhaps time to go back to the old bank cheque approach.

If you are new to etched kits I would caution against the Southwark Bridge Models. They are very accurate, very detailed and the instructions are first rate but they are also very complex. I have a ballast hopper under construction and it is going together nicely but as a first or second up to learn soldering?.... a very definite no.

regards,

Craig W

Thank you for your information. I have found bank cheques/international bank drafts in this country to be very expensive. My bank last quoted me $30 for an international bank draft ! That is why I no longer do it. A credit card over the phone is so much cheaper and simpler.

Yes, I thought the Southwark ballast hopper would be quite complex. I have it on my list but looking at prototype photos it looks like it might be a difficult project.

Last year I built my first etched wagon kit - a P4 ballast kit from Bill Bedford. I found it a good 'beginner' kit, going together reasonably easily (including the suspension). I have a Southwark Bridge hopper kit to build, but it's staying in the cupboard until my skills have been developed further.

Tom

Don't over look Dragon Models, bottom half of the page:

We haven't see post #3 - the kits are excellent and go together with very good instructions - many of which have step-by-step photographic images.

Last year I built my first etched wagon kit - a P4 ballast kit from Bill Bedford. I found it a good 'beginner' kit, going together reasonably easily (including the suspension). I have a Southwark Bridge hopper kit to build, but it's staying in the cupboard until my skills have been developed further.

Tom

Only problem with the Bill Bedford kit is that all the brake shoe detail is on the 'wrong' side when you fit them correctly so you get the plain side facing outward :(.

My main advice would be to go for a simple four wheeler with as little separate strapping overlay as possible. I started with a Mallard models GWR milk van, essentially a flat sided four wheel coach.

The trouble with strapping overlays is they are very thin and hard to get to lie down as they will easily buckle with the heat :angry: as you try to attach them to the main body (unless you use an RSU, but I don't have one). Of course you could glue them on but that doesn;t help soldering skills :D.

Start with something simple and good luck, you'll soon get the hang of it I'm sure.

Adrian.

Archived