Gresley suburbans

Downer

That Hornby All-first is an oddball. Were talking suburbans here so how many commuters would buy a first class ticket just to ride in a crummy non-lavatory suburban...

Ah, but among other destinations these served those commuting daily into The City, and when the alternative was the 'pack 'em in' of 12 to a compartment plus a few standing of GN/LNE Gresley thirds (later BR(ER) 2nds) with dimensions as small as 5 feet between partitions on the Quads: then you begin to see that paying the first class fare for the chance 6' to 7'3" between partitions, eight seats in a full width compartment, six in a semi corridor compartment (both defined by armrests) might just be worth the cash for 'someone in the city'. At least you could open your broadsheet newspaper...

Just been looking at these coaches on the Hornby site, surprised to find the RRP is going to be £43, just a tad on the high side I think personally.

I think one can forget give-away prices on plastic RTR from now on. I happen to think £43.00 for a fully painted RTR coach is a snip especially as, we are told, these will be scale models wth no cock-ups.

A kit would be between £35.00 and £45.00 not including solder, flux and Southern Pride seats. And while you may enjoy building it, if you can't paint teak then ask a pro painter to give your model a grained teak finish, price around £100.00+.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at these coaches on the Hornby site, surprised to find the RRP is going to be £43, just a tad on the high side I think personally.

Ian

Fairly simple equation tho' isn't it - folk want coaches to rave about so they have to be prepared to pay for them. And as value goes that price isn't bad - allowing for inflation and equated to changes in my income my weekly wage at the time I started work wouldn't have been enough to buy a set, my present income would allow me to do that several times over. Or putting it another way these are going to cost about 4-5 times the price of a Hornby Dublo SD coach for something umpteen times more accurate.

And Hornby's costs have clearly been rising even before they do anything about their profit margins and cash flow. As ever the answer will be in how the market reacts - the coaches will either fly off the shelves or they won't and if it's the latter Hornby will no doubt be questioning if their marketing is as good as it needs to be.

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Sorry, should have made it clear I wasn't really complaining, just was a bit of a surprise when I saw the price, I will do what I always do and get them from my local model shop when they come in, all it really means is that I will have to get the rake bit by bit over several weeks rather than what I have done previously buying 3 or 4 coaches at once, a big advantage for me is that by being a regular customer Rob is willing to put things one side for me until I can afford them.

Ian

Guest Max Stafford

Hum now what about Thompson Corridor stock ( oops !)

Build 'em yourself, you lazy so 'n' so! Do you want the whole lot on a plate? ;)

Dave.

I wondered how long it would be before someone reacted :sungum: . Seriously after Hornby's "Wilderness Years" for the ER fan these a real treat.

I'm awaiting the B17 with eagerness. But great to hang these on the back on on the back of my L1 67784.

They are costly - but kinda affordable. Shawplan had just release lazer glazing for the Bachmann Mk1 Suburbans - add the cost of the glazing to the Bachmann costs and the cost is comparible.

Does anyone know, would Mk1 Suburbans and Gresley's be found in the same train?

Edited by davidw

That Hornby All-first is an oddball. I'll bet it would be a very slow seller if it were a kit.

I agree it is a poor choice - I would have much preferred a brake composite or even a non-gangwayed full brake. The other three types will allow lots of prototypical formations to be modelled. A basic formation of BT-CL-BT was common, supplemented by Thirds where necessary.

I agree it is a poor choice - I would have much preferred a brake composite or even a non-gangwayed full brake. The other three types will allow lots of prototypical formations to be modelled. A basic formation of BT-CL-BT was common, supplemented by Thirds where necessary.

Would they be mixed with MK1's Robert?

Does anyone know, would Mk1 Suburbans and Gresley's be found in the same train?

Absolutely yes. As a simplistic overview, trains to Hayfield (for example) were of GCR stock, then Gresleys infiltrated the sets followed by odd Mk.I's. This would equally apply to other sections of the Eastern Region, and is one way of stamping the pre-group origins on a line.

Would they be mixed with MK1's Robert?

There is no reason why they should not have been. The BR crimson CL in the photo carries the number E88090, which was built as 63288 (Great Eastern section) in 1927 and withdrawn in 1959, so it would have been around for five years after the BR Standard non-gangwayed stock appeared. Mixed sets of Mark I and Thompson stock seem to have been more common. The Thompson non-gangwayed stock was far more numerous than the non-articulated Gresley stock, though the vast majority of the Thompson stock was not built until after nationalisation.

I did try and persuade them to drop the 1st and substitute a full brake however they presumably felt that the 1st would be more popular. Given they are producing a corridor full brake this year who is to say they will not add one in a future year if these sell well.

• Like 1

Would these Gresleys have ever been used on seaside excursions...? ...to Bournemouth :sungum:

Bill

I can't think of a photo of a Gresley one but there is a Thompson CL in this photo on the S&D.

Not bound for Bournemouth, but take a look at the mix of stock in this set at Cross Gates.

Another CL on the S&D, this time on a Bournemouth train, but again it's a Thompson one.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 1

...Does anyone know, would Mk1 Suburbans and Gresley's be found in the same train?

Certainly could be, and you can add Thompson non-corridors to the mix as well. Apart from the Quad-arts, the last redoubt of the Gresley non-corridors in the KX area was the service on the Hatfield Luton and Dunstable branch; they disappeared pretty fast as the Cravens DMUs arrived in the late 1950s.

All firsts could be found in Glasgow area sets. In 1947, the Hyndland-based sets included formations of varying lengths including 2 BT, F and varying numbers of T. These worked to destinations such as Airdrie, Springburn, Hamilton, Clydebank and through to Edinburgh. One set even had a Saturday foray to Berwick.