Class 37 with manual Notching

cassey jones

I have to say I'm another doubter. I appreciate that the noise a diesel eletric or hydaulic's engine makes is influenced by more than just acceleration/deceleration and speed, but manually controlling the sound while also controlling the speed seems a bit of a retrograde step to the way things are done normally.

I have to say I'm another doubter. I appreciate that the noise a diesel eletric or hydaulic's engine makes is influenced by more than just acceleration/deceleration and speed, but manually controlling the sound while also controlling the speed seems a bit of a retrograde step to the way things are done normally.

That is because in manual mode the engine noises are not dependent to speed step.

Yes, you can have more than one engine sound on at the same time.

Yes deactivate f3 before pressing F4 whilst driving the loco, this then increases the next stage of Thrash, de activate F4 before pressing F5 for top end thrash, deactivate F5, drop speed step slightly press f6 she will now coast.... then as the loco slows, re engage F3 for more Thrash, or slow the 37 down to a crawl and still have Thrash!

The engine sounds are activated by myself, as and when I choose.

I can have the loco stand still in sidings and still have trash from low end to top end.

Alternatively switch the Zimo chip over to standard control and the engine sounds will be activated as a Loksound does via speed steps.

I already have 3 dozen Loksound DS loco's fitted with Bachmann SWD or Howes sounds, some with what everybody is calling notching on one function button.

No its not the same, you cannot sit and just rev the loco up to your hearts content, this type of Notching is a gradual increase of the 37 accellerating, as though you where in fact using a power handle to increase the revs.

The Zimo 645D is sound memory 32 mbit memory [180 sec@22kz or 360kz@11 sec]

At the moment all Loksound have is v4 with v3.5 sound files on them. - Without manual control/notching or individual volume controlled functions, plus all the other extras available to Zimo decoders.

Until Loksound provide v4 software, then all you have a louder v3.5.

Lets us see after Loksound provide the software, what it may or may not do.

360khz@ 11secs??.............Nah.....LOL

cc

The full size 37 has the sound configured by attaching wagons to the back and by the gradients.

I'd actually much rather see a "loading" CV than entirely manual drive to be honest, that and use of back EMF as some decoders do so that things sound like they are working harder on grades and curves. It's one area where DCC has oddly gone backwards - several DC systems that did brake simulation had a load knob.

Zimo 'loading' CV, no problem. Except there are 4, not just the one you asked for.;)

CV#277, 278, 279 and 280

Paul

Hi Everyone,

I attached this note to my YT video which I linked on an earlier thread. Unfortunately, notes aren't carried over to here when links are placed. I hope this puts it into perspective.

IMPORTANT: PLEASE read this. Many people think Zimo can't notch. This demo sets out to disprove that assumption. There are no tricks used and no editing performed. What you see and hear was recorded in real time in one continuous camera shot. Anyone can do this will the correct knowledge and a Zimo sound decoder.

The video's sound quality is severly limited by my video camera and YouTube compression. But sound quality (which is actually rather good when heard 'live') is not the focus of this demo; it's to show how a model can be driven more realistically than you have probably seen before.

I am happy to share this knowledge, but please be aware that it will require more input from the operator than simply turning the throttle.

My driving scheme and sound project has been devised to allow operators to simulate most real life speed and sound combinations that is just not normally possible. It does not attempt to make the process 'one touch' operation, and therefore will not suit every operator or layout.

It will allow more prototypical operation and reward with authentic sound changes. It also provides a richer driver experience for those prepared to master my techniques.

If you just want to run trains with minimum effort (and there is nothing wrong with that, I do it myself very often just to see trains passing by!) then this is probably not for you, but thanks for looking and listening.

Kind regards,

Paul

CJ was sceptical about Zimo in some of his replies to my earlier posts. But he bought one to try, and after testing, understood why I was trying to inform you that there was a viable and less expensive alternative to LokSound.

You have all witnessed his dramatic 'conversion'. That's because he's actually used and heard one in action, and he has LokSound equiped locos for comparison.

As for button pushing, I agree that it might seem inconvenient when you simply sit and think about it, but in practice it's no more inconvenient than pressing the horn button or an F key for braking/flange squeal/ coupling/buffering up/air release/compressor/generator/exhauster/cab door sounds, all of which enhance the experience (for me).

I did not set out to 'convince' anyone about Zimo decoders or my notching method, merely to introduce them to you on a take it or leave it basis.

CJ and several others who have taken the plunge have been convinced; by the facts, not hyperbole. But it may not be right for you.

Paul

This is interesting and looks promising to me. I have one question for Cassey or Paulie though: what happens with the Zimo manual control if you go straight to F5 from a standing start?

Whether the decoder is Zimo LOksound or what ever, I think the subject of operating a real loco with one leaver is missing the point.

OK, with the decoders you have to use a combination of throttle and function buttons to emulate the real thing. So what, at least you can drive the model loco very close to the real thing if you so desire.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Zimo 'loading' CV, no problem. Except there are 4, not just the one you asked for.;)

CV#277, 278, 279 and 280

Paul

i might be getting the wrong end of the stick here but does that mean you can set a loco running on a layout with gradients in "auto mode" and the chip will make the sounds react to themdependant on motor load increasing engine note to suit when the train is climbing etc.

as ive said before i'm itching to try a zimo but i'm not entirely convinced if its for me yet, also as i asked futher back how "interactive" are the chips when programming with jmri, the thing that is putting me off at the moment is the faffing about changing numerous

cv's, if using my lenz and jmri makes it easier to understand then i may well get one

i might be getting the wrong end of the stick here but does that mean you can set a loco running on a layout with gradients in "auto mode" and the chip will make the sounds react to themdependant on motor load increasing engine note to suit when the train is climbing etc.

as ive said before i'm itching to try a zimo but i'm not entirely convinced if its for me yet, also as i asked futher back how "interactive" are the chips when programming with jmri, the thing that is putting me off at the moment is the faffing about changing numerous

cv's, if using my lenz and jmri makes it easier to understand then i may well get one

Jim,

Ah, if only......

No, the loading CVs will enable the decoder to react to changes in load, gradient, curves etc, and at different thresholds for different speeds, but it does so, currently, by increasing the volume. This does produce an automatic change when the environment changes, but would be improved if the sound itself was altered to reflect the extra power required. I am working on that and will keep you posted.

However, since with the completely independant 'notching' sounds, you can easily simulate these changes as CJ has been explaining as and when you wish, these features are almost reduntant. My 37 video, although not up to CJs athletic camera manipulation, set out to show exactly that point.

Of all the people to try this driving method, none now use the 'automatic' alternative. All prefer the greater realism and involvement in the manual scheme.

I repeat, this is not intended to make it easy, it's to make it possible to be more realistic.

I think you are worrying too much about CV changes. There is no more need to change to get it working correctly with your loco than any other decoder. You might find the decoder manual at 57 pages of A4 will encourage you to tweak rather more than you are used to, but that's optional.

Once set up, you can just drive it. If you wish to change between 'automatic' (I prefer the term linear as this is more descriptive of the way the sounds progress) you only change the value of a single CV. Everything else is already set in the sound programme.

Cj has said it like having two decoders in one. The way the loco reacts to your controller is certainly very different between the two, but it's truer to say that the decoder uses some of the same sounds differently.

That also explains why the rather simplistic calculation that two sound sets means 1.5 minutes per set is ridiculous.

I have a decoder which has 6 different variations of the Class 37, three are 37/0 and three are 37/4. changing to each set requires one simple CV change. No reblows needed here when you want a change.

So you could say, 6 decoders for the price of 1.

What's the use of that, you might argue. Well, if you change the body of your model on the same chassis, green diesel to post privatisation, say, you can change the sounds to match. That way, with relatively little effort, you can have your entire fleet sound equipped for less decoders and therefore less money. Just a thought.

Here's my 37 vid for you to look again with the more extensive explanation.

Kind regards,

Paul

This is interesting and looks promising to me. I have one question for Cassey or Paulie though: what happens with the Zimo manual control if you go straight to F5 from a standing start?

If the loco is standing at idle and you press F5, the PM sounds will ramp up to the highest 'notch' and remain there until you switch it off. The loco will not move. Same applies to any of the other sounds. (Think 'load bank testing' an you would be in the right area.)

This would be non-prototypical, and a real loco subject to 'instant full power' from standstill would probably have its control circuits cut in to shut the engine down. Jim will be able to advise on that.

On the other hand, if you opened full throttle, the PM sounds would remain at idle until you press an F key for 'more power'. This enables you to potter about the yard, shunt, or move light engine without thrashing.

All the explanations and YT vids in the world will not fully describe the complete control you have over the sound. It is completely detatched from road speed, so provided you have the correct sound loaded, you can simulate almost any situation.

Do you need more skill? Yes, a touch.

Do you need more concentration? Yes, but not enough to stop you from operating a loco and video camera at the same time! :lol:

Is it more realistic? Yes.

Is it more absorbing? Oh yes!! B)

One more point, Zimo have promised to make certain changes to the software that I have requested which will reduce the button pressing necessary. I'll keep you posted on this development. Of course, these changes will be backwardly compatible with all previous Zimo sound chips.

Kind regards,

Paul

Whether the decoder is Zimo LOksound or what ever, I think the subject of operating a real loco with one leaver is missing the point.

OK, with the decoders you have to use a combination of throttle and function buttons to emulate the real thing. So what, at least you can drive the model loco very close to the real thing if you so desire.

Ian

Ian,

You've hit the nail squarely on the head. Realism was my intention.

if you so desire. Precisely! This is an optional extra, free of charge.

If I want to see locos passing by with no effort, I'll put on a rail DVD. Prototypical Gricing! :lol:

Kind regards,

Paul

CJ,

I can see where you are going with this and to some degree the credit is with pauliebanger and his mates establishing a new use for the multiple sound project facility (soundbank) that is enabled on ZIMO decoders. The use of the soundbank in this manner overcomes limitations in the ZIMO sound scheme, Which in all respects is heading in the right direction for those who wish to have greater 'driverbility' for their locomotives, but at the expense of creating a demanding requirement for pressing function buttons to derive the appropriate engine note transitions needed.

My colleague had this problem with his Rat Racket demo in that it had too much button pushing - his new version is like operating a locomotive cab control desk. I liked it so much, I am having a go at building one as well and I can see how it could potentially control pauliebangers locomotives with far more ease than is the case today given your recent description of their operation.

Could you clarify one reservation though? Your comment about not pressing the function buttons sequentially in manual mode and no sounds being played? Is that really the case when the engine note transition file plays itself out or does the original file keep playing? OR do you have to be quick with your fingers to play the next file before the previous one runs out?

NB: Loksound can automate more than one engine note transition sequence IF the audio editor programming the chip has the appropriate recording samples available AND actually decides to edit the chip with that kind of functionality. There is a proviso in that I have to agree with your comments about the Loksound 'sound scheme' limitations regarding speed steps vs motor speed. That has always been a major flaw in ESU's thinking (and ZIMO's) which exists to today and beyond if you read the Loksound blurb in their existing documentation for V4.0 - particularly their description of how locomotives work. Makes you weep. :rofl_mini:

You have got me very interested in paulies work - I really need to get the latest copy of Hornby magazine to check how it all works.

No 'mates' were involved or harmed in the thinking or development of this technique. It is entirely my own idea and work to develop it into a useable project.

The original source recordings were made by a friend of mine, but he had no involvement beyond that.

I've taken abuse, I think I am entitled to the credit.

NB: Loksound can automate more than one engine note transition sequence IF the audio editor programming the chip has the appropriate recording samples available AND actually decides to edit the chip with that kind of functionality.

Perhaps you could enlighten us all by pointing out the UK sound projects available for loksound that actually have these multiple transitions programmed in?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

paul your point about the 6 37s on one chip as such, is it possible to have 2 different loco sound sets on a chip (both able to work in linear mode)?

what im thinking is the likes of a class 73, one set of diesel sounds and the other set being electric sounds?

the comment about lok-sound being able to do 2 different transitions, again if im getting the right end of the stick i think bryan at howes has done that with one of his 37 projects, if you gradually open it up it will power up lightly but open it up to say 3/4 open it will thrash away and give a little bit of wheelslip too

NB: Loksound can automate more than one engine note transition sequence IF the audio editor programming the chip has the appropriate recording samples available AND actually decides to edit the chip with that kind of functionality.

Perhaps you could enlighten us all by pointing out the UK sound projects available for loksound that actually have these multiple transitions programmed in?

Paul

I think that SWD's later 37 has this functionality but, as you know, the project is never going to be a free release.

Bear in mind that what you are doing in relation to the Zimo chip is basically what was happening to the Loksound chip only a few years ago. It would not be difficult to arrange a Loksound to have the engine notches allocated to function buttons and this would give a similar effect to the Zimo. Then of course one would lose a lot of the other function sounds which are what sells sound.

I have at least one steamer that has this auto thrash functionality and it is an adaptation of one of ESU's projects which I got with the programmer software.

Loksound V4 software is now available. AFAICT, it is basically allowing a better sound to come from a very similar decoder structure. It is the combination of easy to use software and the automation of the playable sounds that marks Loksound as a leader. The need for the pure sounds of a loco actually working and changing note as the load varies is hugely challenging and very consumptive of recording time with huge risk of failure and having to start again. The best recordings I made of the Class 3 were inside the cab. Anything outside was drowned with wind roar and rail noise. The cost of eliminating that is about £300 and still isn't guaranteed above about 30mph.

It is a sad fact though that the amazing qualities of modern sound decoders are frequently not used by RTR compilers as any instructions to drive in a certain way are completely ignored and the loco returned to the supplier as 'no good, mate' plus the sound samples on offer are frequently obtained at rest with the brakes on. I think that one or two recordings have been made of diesels hooked up to a load bank and these are a vast improvement on static unloaded recordings. As I say the chance of getting successful, usable recordings of a 37 or any other diesel doing its stuff up a bank with a heavy load are slim.

paul your point about the 6 37s on one chip as such, is it possible to have 2 different loco sound sets on a chip (both able to work in linear mode)?

what im thinking is the likes of a class 73, one set of diesel sounds and the other set being electric sounds?

the comment about lok-sound being able to do 2 different transitions, again if im getting the right end of the stick i think bryan at howes has done that with one of his 37 projects, if you gradually open it up it will power up lightly but open it up to say 3/4 open it will thrash away and give a little bit of wheelslip too

Jim.

Absolutely possible - in fact I have been working on such a project for my Class 73 for some time. I have not yet been able to record a Class 73 'on the juice' so my electric scheme has only 'representative' rather than prototypical sounds. It all works very well, but I will not be releasing it until I have the genuine sounds.

At exhibitions I sometimes run steam locos with diesel sounds and vice versa, then next time around change to the appropriate sounds for amusement and to provoke comments/questions.

Using two sound sets is the basis for my Heavy/Light engine variation which I developed for steam locos. For steam sets Zimo already altered their software for me so that it's possible to change sets on the move. This is not yet enabled for diesel, so you have to stop the loco an use CV 265 to change sound sets.

Jim, thanks. Whilst replying to your question, I have just thought how I can overcome this restriction so I need to do some testing.:)

I can't comment with any certainty on Bryan's work as I do not have one to test, but from what you describe, this sounds like the usual Loksound scheme where the normal 'liner' pattern is supplemented by the ability to use an 'aceleration' scheme. This is superior to the usual Zimo liner method when programmed correctly, but entirely different from my manual system as ultimately it is still linked to the motor speed. The Lok and Zimo schemes are not analogous.

Read my article in Hornby Magazine issue 47 (out on Friday 8th April). There is a tutorial explaining how it all works, and a free Class 37 project file.

I can't make it any easier for you than that, short of reblowing a Zimo decoder for you. (I'm, open to offers. Ha Ha!).

Paul

Hi

Cassey and Paul brilliant job very nice sound. Excellent notching. Your fighting an up hill battle and I really feel for you guys. Paul you deserve a lot more for making your sound projects freely available and showing others how its done.

I think it will catch on once more people look deeply into the extra features Zimo offer. Having said that its up to them to decide.Well done again and thanks for sharing.

Martin

Hi All,

One of the main developments I can see here is the appearence of what I like to call 'anti-notching' :blink: - the ability to hold a locos power handle back to simulate coasting rather than the current ESU notching which IIRC only really allows for putting down full power when you press 'Notch Up' - this also negates the effect of using some throttle - current ESU notching has an 'all or nothing' Notching feature which I can't say I particularly like.

On Glasgow Queen Street (currently WIP!) the station is at the bottom of a mile-long 1 in 50 gradient so the ability to simulate coasting at any speed is VERY useful, as is the ability to give the loco 'the beans' at a slow speed to tackle the hill.

Will definately be looking into Zimo chips - yes it may be a lot of fuss but the potential is there for loco operations to sound far better on a layout with gradients (modelled or unmodelled!) than the 'auto' chips that CJ describes.

Dave

I think that SWD's later 37 has this functionality but, as you know, the project is never going to be a free release.

Bear in mind that what you are doing in relation to the Zimo chip is basically what was happening to the Loksound chip only a few years ago. It would not be difficult to arrange a Loksound to have the engine notches allocated to function buttons and this would give a similar effect to the Zimo. Then of course one would lose a lot of the other function sounds which are what sells sound.

I have at least one steamer that has this auto thrash functionality and it is an adaptation of one of ESU's projects which I got with the programmer software.

Loksound V4 software is now available. AFAICT, it is basically allowing a better sound to come from a very similar decoder structure. It is the combination of easy to use software and the automation of the playable sounds that marks Loksound as a leader. The need for the pure sounds of a loco actually working and changing note as the load varies is hugely challenging and very consumptive of recording time with huge risk of failure and having to start again. The best recordings I made of the Class 3 were inside the cab. Anything outside was drowned with wind roar and rail noise. The cost of eliminating that is about £300 and still isn't guaranteed above about 30mph.

It is a sad fact though that the amazing qualities of modern sound decoders are frequently not used by RTR compilers as any instructions to drive in a certain way are completely ignored and the loco returned to the supplier as 'no good, mate' plus the sound samples on offer are frequently obtained at rest with the brakes on. I think that one or two recordings have been made of diesels hooked up to a load bank and these are a vast improvement on static unloaded recordings. As I say the chance of getting successful, usable recordings of a 37 or any other diesel doing its stuff up a bank with a heavy load are slim.

Well, my Zimo Class 37 will be a free release. If any of you are unable to load it yourself, PM me.

Making a sound project is not difficult, my articles and tutorials make that plain for anyone who cares to read them. Making a realistic/convincing one is something else entirely, on that we can agree.

What makes a project stand out is the quality of the recordings, the thought and inginuity of the author/programmer and the quality of the hardware and installation.

Not everyone will wish to, or feel they have the time or skills to, create their own sound projects. However, by raising the issues involved and allowing users to 'see' beyond the usual cloak of secrecy, there will be a greater understanding of the processes involved and the limitation imposed by the decoder/software design. There may even be a greater value attributed to the work of those who are prepared to put in the effort so all can benefit.

Frankly, if you can't obtain good recordings from a moving loco, you are not trying hard enough.

Whatever any other decoder may be capable of is irrelevant to this discussion about how my scheme works with Zimo decoders. If you have not used or heard one being operated live, whatever you put forward is pure speculation.

Paul

Hi All,

One of the main developments I can see here is the appearence of what I like to call 'anti-notching' :blink: - the ability to hold a locos power handle back to simulate coasting rather than the current ESU notching which IIRC only really allows for putting down full power when you press 'Notch Up' - this also negates the effect of using some throttle - current ESU notching has an 'all or nothing' Notching feature which I can't say I particularly like.

On Glasgow Queen Street (currently WIP!) the station is at the bottom of a mile-long 1 in 50 gradient so the ability to simulate coasting at any speed is VERY useful, as is the ability to give the loco 'the beans' at a slow speed to tackle the hill.

Will definately be looking into Zimo chips - yes it may be a lot of fuss but the potential is there for loco operations to sound far better on a layout with gradients (modelled or unmodelled!) than the 'auto' chips that CJ describes.

Dave

Dave,

I will be at your exhibition at Rawtenstall again this year. If you have not made a decision by then, come and see me for a demo.:P

You are correct about how useful this might be on your layout. To be fair, if the sound author has programmed it in to your decoder (not all do) coasting is possible with Loksound. Check out legomanbiffo's excellent work on Loks to see how it should be done.

Have you seen my Class 37 hill climb and descent vid?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi

Cassey and Paul brilliant job very nice sound. Excellent notching. Your fighting an up hill battle and I really feel for you guys. Paul you deserve a lot more for making your sound projects freely available and showing others how its done.

I think it will catch on once more people look deeply into the extra features Zimo offer. Having said that its up to them to decide.Well done again and thanks for sharing.

Martin

Martin

Thanks for the support. Although I personally didn't see it as a battle, the fact that Zimo decoders can now be discussed here on their merits could be considered as a type of victory in itself.

People are still free to choose what appeals to them, but now they can see that there is a choice.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

part of me wants to have a go at making a zimo sound project but the biggest part of me knows it will be pants, lok-sound wise i'll leave that to the likes of bryan, having seen him work first hand i just get deeply confused, not so much by the ins and outs of programming as i could possibly pick that up as i went along but "having the ear" to make the disjointed raw files blend seamlessly into a flowing sound file, i used to dj in clubs so can mix live tunes without a problem but sound files are something else!

i have loads of sounds recorded of various locos and units, stuff like 57, 66, 67 and 165, and 168, the 66s would be the best candidate as i have them recorded light engine, hauling 600 ton and hauling 2500 ton so the multi sound project idea would be great, or do i wait and see if lok-sound v4 can do the same and leave it to the pros?

part of me wants to have a go at making a zimo sound project but the biggest part of me knows it will be pants, lok-sound wise i'll leave that to the likes of bryan, having seen him work first hand i just get deeply confused, not so much by the ins and outs of programming as i could possibly pick that up as i went along but "having the ear" to make the disjointed raw files blend seamlessly into a flowing sound file, i used to dj in clubs so can mix live tunes without a problem but sound files are something else!

i have loads of sounds recorded of various locos and units, stuff like 57, 66, 67 and 165, and 168, the 66s would be the best candidate as i have them recorded light engine, hauling 600 ton and hauling 2500 ton so the multi sound project idea would be great, or do i wait and see if lok-sound v4 can do the same and leave it to the pros?

Jim,

I don't have usable recordings of a 57 yet. If you send me your recordings, I'll put a Zimo sound project together for you. You can choose whether to share it with anyone other than me.

Paul

Jim,

Ah, if only......

No, the loading CVs will enable the decoder to react to changes in load, gradient, curves etc, and at different thresholds for different speeds, but it does so, currently, by increasing the volume. This does produce an automatic change when the environment changes, but would be improved if the sound itself was altered to reflect the extra power required. I am working on that and will keep you posted.

However, since with the completely independant 'notching' sounds, you can easily simulate these changes as CJ has been explaining as and when you wish, these features are almost reduntant. My 37 video, although not up to CJs athletic camera manipulation, set out to show exactly that point.

Of all the people to try this driving method, none now use the 'automatic' alternative. All prefer the greater realism and involvement in the manual scheme.

I repeat, this is not intended to make it easy, it's to make it possible to be more realistic.

I think you are worrying too much about CV changes. There is no more need to change to get it working correctly with your loco than any other decoder. You might find the decoder manual at 57 pages of A4 will encourage you to tweak rather more than you are used to, but that's optional.

Once set up, you can just drive it. If you wish to change between 'automatic' (I prefer the term linear as this is more descriptive of the way the sounds progress) you only change the value of a single CV. Everything else is already set in the sound programme.

Cj has said it like having two decoders in one. The way the loco reacts to your controller is certainly very different between the two, but it's truer to say that the decoder uses some of the same sounds differently.

That also explains why the rather simplistic calculation that two sound sets means 1.5 minutes per set is ridiculous.

I have a decoder which has 6 different variations of the Class 37, three are 37/0 and three are 37/4. changing to each set requires one simple CV change. No reblows needed here when you want a change.

So you could say, 6 decoders for the price of 1.

What's the use of that, you might argue. Well, if you change the body of your model on the same chassis, green diesel to post privatisation, say, you can change the sounds to match. That way, with relatively little effort, you can have your entire fleet sound equipped for less decoders and therefore less money. Just a thought.

Here's my 37 vid for you to look again with the more extensive explanation.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

I noticed on the description/comments of the above vid, the decoder that is featured at the start of this thread by CJ has been re-blown with "your" sound files etc. Does this then mean that the notching/manual modes etc as discussed in this thread, are not present on the basic decoder as purchased, and a re-blow will be necessary to achieve the effects CJ shows in his vids ?

Regards

Ken

Hi Paul

I noticed on the description/comments of the above vid, the decoder that is featured at the start of this thread by CJ has been re-blown with "your" sound files etc. Does this then mean that the notching/manual modes etc as discussed in this thread, are not present on the basic decoder as purchased, and a re-blow will be necessary to achieve the effects CJ shows in his vids ?

Regards

Ken

Ken,

It depends who you purchase your decoder from. The standard decoder comes with 5 steam and 1 diesel sets as standard but does not include my 'notching' scheme.

CJ and a few others have had my project on their decoders for some time for evaluation, proof of concept, etc. You can see from the date of the video that I have been using this scheme for some months. Because of the Hornby Magazine publication dates, all users agreed not to disclose anything about it until close to that date. Poor old CJ has been chomping at the bit to share it with you until I gave him the go-ahead last week.:lol:

Maybe the position will change soon, see HM Issue 47.;)

Regards,

Paul

Well, my Zimo Class 37 will be a free release. If any of you are unable to load it yourself, PM me.

Making a sound project is not difficult, my articles and tutorials make that plain for anyone who cares to read them. Making a realistic/convincing one is something else entirely, on that we can agree.

Indeed we do agree.

What makes a project stand out is the quality of the recordings, the thought and inginuity of the author/programmer and the quality of the hardware and installation.

Pretty much agreed although I have had some outstanding recordings reduced to flat, uninteresting sounds by the reduction process and had mixed results using effects in both Audacity and WavePad.

Not everyone will wish to, or feel they have the time or skills to, create their own sound projects. However, by raising the issues involved and allowing users to 'see' beyond the usual cloak of secrecy, there will be a greater understanding of the processes involved and the limitation imposed by the decoder/software design. There may even be a greater value attributed to the work of those who are prepared to put in the effort so all can benefit.

A wish that I fear will never truly be realised in this country anyway. The main reason is that giving project to ESU, say, only benefits the UK market so all that work is basically unrewarded. The first time that someone steals your work and claims it as their own and/or makes money from it without acknowledging you even exist is the last time. The Zimo idea of making the downloads commercially available is good but might not translate too well to the UK. I note that Digitrains invite you to contact them direct.

Frankly, if you can't obtain good recordings from a moving loco, you are not trying hard enough.

I sincerely hope you were smiling when you wrote that.

Whatever any other decoder may be capable of is irrelevant to this discussion about how my scheme works with Zimo decoders. If you have not used or heard one being operated live, whatever you put forward is pure speculation.

I think it is fair to say that the general opinion about Zimo sound is that it represents a step forward in quality of sound but not in usable software or decoder sound structure. What was becoming obvious that, apart from your posts, this thread was becoming a bit of a Loksound bashing exercise based on misinformation. Part of the argument is that the Loksound chip is, in the right hands, capable of a great deal more than the average end user either wants, would use or is available on current RTR chips. Perhaps Zimo will catch up but they have made a slow start and relied far too much on altruism. Digitrax made much the same mistake. I don't think either of these august suppliers is really bothered.Neither of the last two have made any significant inroads to the sound decoder market and, in particular, the commercial RTR market.

Archived