Class 37 with manual Notching

cassey jones

Ian,

You've hit the nail squarely on the head. Realism was my intention.

if you so desire. Precisely! This is an optional extra, free of charge.

If I want to see locos passing by with no effort, I'll put on a rail DVD. Prototypical Gricing! :lol:

Kind regards,

Paul

Absolutely; I purposely built a point to point mountainous layout so trains/locos tail chasing with constant (boring) unchanged sound is not an option. Loksound with Lokprogramer gives me that option.

I don't think I will be investing in Zimo decoders and programmer as, stated before, from what I have seen/heard,37 videos etc, I can get steam/diesel Loksounds close enough.

Ian

Absolutely; I purposely built a point to point mountainous layout so trains/locos tail chasing with constant (boring) unchanged sound is not an option. Loksound with Lokprogramer gives me that option.

I don't think I will be investing in Zimo decoders and programmer as, stated before, from what I have seen/heard,37 videos etc, I can get steam/diesel Loksounds close enough.

Ian

You have missed the point, you still have your engine / notching sounds dependent on your speed step, so you are, regardless what you may think running automatically not manually.

This thread was started to show others what is capable with a Zimo sound chip, eg manual complete/driveablity of the loco.

I was trying to inform other hobbists, that there is more to life than Loksound decoders.

I agree that some might not like to actually drive a loco, some much prefer to watch a loco go round and round a layout, occasionally pressing a function key for horns or whatever. That's ok for them, others like myself prefer interactive driving.

Whatever those stuck in Loksound world may think, this Zimo chip is not set up the same as any Loksound I either own or have heard [v3.5][i have dozens] - now if the v4 can do this, - once the new software is made available and sound files re done - this has got to be good for everbody.

Until then, there is an alternative, this was my point originally.

I was trying to inform other hobbists, that there is more to life than Loksound decoders.

Whatever those stuck in Loksound world may think, this Zimo chip is not set up the same as any Loksound I either own or have heard [v3.5][i have dozens] -

Until then, there is an alternative,

You are stating the obvious in the first sentence. Most of us have played with other decoders and ended up with Loksounds because they offer the best effects and sounds at the moment and are by far the easiest to programme. I have had some really excellent results from early Digitrax piggy back decoders but they are not a patch on the modern Loksounds. I also fell in love with CT SL74's but was completely unable to master the programming on them and the software was appalling.

Zimo started talking programmable sound decoders some years back and the forward hype was awesome. Some would say that it was more than the final product.

Although they apparently represent an alternative, I have to point out that this project style of allocating all the sounds to function buttons is quite possible in a Loksound decoder with exactly the same result EXCEPT for a slight ( but noticeable ) increase in sound quality in the Zimo chip but be assured, the Loksound chip would be quite capable of doing what you are doing with the Zimo chip.

If you were to do so in a Loksound chip then you would lose a huge amount of the other sound structure which Loksound has and Zimo doesn't. As soon as I am convinced that Zimo has all of the qualities that Loksound has and delivers something extra in an area that I want, then I will invest in the necessary hardware and software and liaise with Pauliebanger to try to master the Zimo chip to get these effects and share my experience with him fopr the benefit of all. I assume you have read my missive in RMWeb's new forum about adjusting values to obtain reliable coasting with a Loksound chip?

In essence you are attempting to critique/promote sound decoders based on you purchasing RTR pre loaded chips and then suggesting that the decoder you are using is better than another. You are then compounding the problem by not reading or listening to other programmers/users who try to correct your thinking.

Pauliebanger is a really good guy who is working hard to find the depths of the Zimo decoder and get the best from it and sharing the results of his labours with us.

Your Loksound bashing is falling on deaf ears at the moment because evidentially, there is no reason to either bash Loksound or praise anyone else just yet. As soon as there is we will all change over with alacrity and the rest of the RTR world will swiftly follow.

As a cynic of many years standing, I doubt that there will be any real saving on price so the last part of the argument goes begging as well.

• RMweb Gold

You have missed the point, you still have your engine / notching sounds dependent on your speed step, so you are, regardless what you may think running automatically not manually.

hang on i'm confused now, isnt this thread about the ability to do manual notching making the loco "over thrash" to emulate a load as such now you are saying its running automatically dependant on speed steps, contradictory statements like that are what are putting me off trying a zimo chip, you seem to be saying it can do this, it can do that but then change your mind and paulie has to come in and clarify what exactly it can actually do and how, this thread seems to make a lot more sense to me thanks to paulies explinations than any other previous zimo thread to the point i was considering getting one (and supplying paul with a set of 57 sounds) but now i feel im back to square 1, worried i'll be swamped by technology!!

im not going to pretend i even know how to do things with decoders beyond the basics so full credit to you for wading through the zimo manual but it seems to me you are doing more to dent zimo sales than promote them especially as dwhite points out you are straight out bashing others who use loksound (whether they have a choice or not, ie rtr stuff), as you know i choose to use howes but i dont rubbish anyone who choose swd, olivias and indeed zimo as its not the done thing, we have a choice and we all choose differently, as paulie points out your "conversion" to zimo has been astounding, only a few months back you were singing the praises of a certain loksound supplier and how good their sounds were, what will happen when the next "new big thing" appears and zimo ends up by the wayside?

anyway just off to peer over the edge of loksound world!!

ooh i can see howesworld from here

hang on i'm confused now, isnt this thread about the ability to do manual notching making the loco "over thrash" to emulate a load as such now you are saying its running automatically dependant on speed steps, contradictory statements like that are what are putting me off trying a zimo chip, you seem to be saying it can do this, it can do that but then change your mind and paulie has to come in and clarify what exactly it can actually do and how, this thread seems to make a lot more sense to me thanks to paulies explinations than any other previous zimo thread to the point i was considering getting one (and supplying paul with a set of 57 sounds) but now i feel im back to square 1, worried i'll be swamped by technology!!

im not going to pretend i even know how to do things with decoders beyond the basics so full credit to you for wading through the zimo manual but it seems to me you are doing more to dent zimo sales than promote them especially as dwhite points out you are straight out bashing others who use loksound (whether they have a choice or not, ie rtr stuff), as you know i choose to use howes but i dont rubbish anyone who choose swd, olivias and indeed zimo as its not the done thing, we have a choice and we all choose differently, as paulie points out your "conversion" to zimo has been astounding, only a few months back you were singing the praises of a certain loksound supplier and how good their sounds were, what will happen when the next "new big thing" appears and zimo ends up by the wayside?

anyway just off to peer over the edge of loksound world!!

ooh i can see howesworld from here

Jim,

First things first,

This Zimo recording on - manual setting, means you drive it [increase notching / engine speeds]and increase or decrease your speed steps manually - they are not linked together, as Howes SWD Bachamnn's sound chips are.

Example - You can sit the loco in a siding and go thru the complete engine cycle without it ever moving, so yes as much thrash as you wish.

So as you move the loco [via speed step], you also increase the engine sounds via function buttons, F3,4,5 and 6 .I can also increase the volume these all the function sounds -indiviually.

Thing is I don't lose any functions buttons as I have 28 on the chip, and easly accessable on my Lenz ST 100.

If you wish to use the loco, as in 'automatic mode' - engine sounds via speed steps' [ eg like Howes, SWD and Bachmann are set up - then this is accessable via a CV change, you cannot get simpler than that [This is why I said originally its like having 2 sound chips in 1].

I am not slagging off Loksound, mainly stating the obvious, that Loksound v3.5 are not set up like this.

Those that say they are, are telling porkies!

I to have Loksound v3.5.

At the moment as I have both, I know which is more enjoyable to use, all friends that have been round to experience the driving - prefer manual [i agree it does take a bit to get the hang of [because the concept is like nothing I and friends have used before].

Those that mention tweaking CV's to create coasting on v3.5 - thats old hat same as creating notching on the said chips, been there got the tee shirt, hence why this thread originally started.

The sounds on the orignal recording [Digitrains] are fantastic in there own right, [please see others vids in the sound section that back this up], but when you turn it into manual mode as Paul as done, it goes into a whole new concept.

Perhaps those that keep saying they have tried Zimo but it couldn't do what Loksound does - need to come back and experience it, it does what v3.5 does and alot more I know, I have both.

This thread was started to show others what is capable with a Zimo sound chip, eg manual complete/driveablity of the loco.

I agree that some might not like to actually drive a loco, some much prefer to watch a loco go round and round a layout, occasionally pressing a function key for horns or whatever. That's ok for them, others like myself prefer interactive driving.

Whatever those stuck in Loksound world may think, this Zimo chip is not set up the same as any Loksound I either own or have heard [v3.5][i have dozens] - now if the v4 can do this, - once the new software is made available and sound files re done - this has got to be good for everbody.

Until then, there is an alternative, this was my point originally.

With the greatest of respect, you are missing my point. I am not and would not say Loksound is better than Zimo. It most likely is not.

My point is, I can program my Loks to perform to my satisfaction which is very close to Zimo.

There seems to be this fixation on manual notching up/down with Zimo while loco is standing and no throttle movement.

Loks have been doing that for yrs. Therefore engine revs/sound can be operated independently of speed steps with LOKSOUND decoders.

Zimo, possibly, have refined it all a bit better but as I said, I am not about to rush out and purchase Zimo decoders and programmer when Loks and Lokprogrammer allow me to program and drive my locos/trains to my satisfaction.

You like interactive loco driving. So do I and my L0KS do it very nicely for me.

BTW, your idea of automation is obviously very different to mine.

Again with the greatest respect,saying something(in this case Zimo sound decoders) is the greatest thing since sliced bread is OK by me. That is your opinion.

But to infer that others who like some thing else (in this case Loksound) are idiots is not on in my book.

Maybe you did not mean it that way but that is how you are being persieved.

You have not seen how I op/program my Loks so how can you judge.

As I have said before, to each their own or if you like, horses for courses.

Cheers

Ian

With the greatest of respect, you are missing my point. I am not and would not say Loksound is better than Zimo. It most likely is not.

My point is, I can program my Loks to perform to my satisfaction which is very close to Zimo.

There seems to be this fixation on manual notching up/down with Zimo while loco is standing and no throttle movement.

Loks have been doing that for yrs. Therefore engine revs/sound can be operated independently of speed steps with LOKSOUND decoders.

Zimo, possibly, have refined it all a bit better but as I said, I am not about to rush out and purchase Zimo decoders and programmer when Loks and Lokprogrammer allow me to program and drive my locos/trains to my satisfaction.

You like interactive loco driving. So do I and my L0KS do it very nicely for me.

BTW, your idea of automation is obviously very different to mine.

Again with the greatest respect,saying something(in this case Zimo sound decoders) is the greatest thing since sliced bread is OK by me. That is your opinion.

But to infer that others who like some thing else (in this case Loksound) are idiots is not on in my book.

Maybe you did not mean it that way but that is how you are being persieved.

You have not seen how I op/program my Loks so how can you judge.

As I have said before, to each their own or if you like, horses for courses.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I have not called anybody AN IDIOT.

Automatation I have mention is based on yours and my Loksound decoders,which is that the engine sounds are based on you and I using speed step to active them [built in at the program stage].

I have tried to explain what this Zimo chip can do, - but unfortunately those stuck in their ways seem not to want to believe me even when watching the video.

Then say well my Loksound does that, when in fact it does not, - I to have been tweaking Loksound for many a year to get the best from what a limited chip the v3.5 is/was.

I also said, lets see if v4 get be as good as the Zimo 645D - this is the chip I am using.

What people are forgetting is I too was challenging Paul regarding what the Zimo chip can do, then thought perhaps I should take a listen [ you cannot really judge anything to you experience it] - I bought a Digitrains 20 25 37, and those that have seen the vid's of those loco's known exactly what I am taking about.

Paul's development of this is the 37 using manual control - all the engine accelleration sound stages are done by the driver, a bit like pressing an car accellerater, although only the sounds of the loco thrash increase not the actual loco speed. No you don't need the loco at stand still for Thrash [but if you want to do this you can], I can thrash whilst the engine is still moving - Basically you can Thrash the loco when you actually want to and not dependent on your speed step.

I cannot see why people have a problem with the Zimo chip, surely better sound decoders - doing more, is good for the hobby?

If this thread has only interested a few, that's a few more that will experience interactive driving.

This I think may show it better, 1st off is the Howes 37 - engine sounds are set to speed step, 2nd is the manually controlled 37 engine sounds activated by me.

43 sec in 1st Notching, constant but gradual, slowly increase [hear engine response]. At 65 sec onwards you can hear the instant engine response as I manually pressing the notching, yes I know slightly excessive but I am trying to highlight it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iqvrmzkQ_M

I have not called anybody AN IDIOT.

He didn't say you did but the way you've come across is rather strong.

What seems odd to me is that the way sound is developing is that all this effort is going into loco decoders when, in many case, other noises drown out the sound.

Yesterday morning I watched a 66 hauled coal go by, he'd be doing a constant 60mph on a level stretch. First thing I heard after I'd seen it were the rails quietly 'ringing' and this got louder as the train drew nearer. The I heard the two tones of the horn followed by another short blast after my acknowledgement, only after this could I begin to hear the engine (as opposed to loco) sound. But it was accompanied by roar of the wagons. As soon as the loco had passed all I could hear were the wagons and I could hear them for another mile's travel whilst the ringing of the rails died down.

So while I think sound has its place (and it is a bit of fun too!) I wonder, despite a decoder in every item of stock being rather impracticle, if there's a whole world of sound which has been missed?

James,

I certainly never mentioned the word idiot, I didnt infer anybody was an idiot.

This was used soley by Sunnysa, he is Quoted so.

The idea of the forum is to debate, share information and to enlighten.

I certainly never mentioned the word idiot, I didnt infer anybody was an idiot.

I didn't say you did.

As per my post, it's not what you've said but how you've said it.

The idea of the forum is to debate, share information and to enlighten.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you there but you've come across, in my opinion, as preeching about this subject which is why I think people have reacted in a rather negative way. And you've been telling an experinced driver what makes for a realistic driving experience!

What seems odd to me is that the way sound is developing is that all this effort is going into loco decoders when, in many case, other noises drown out the sound.

Yesterday morning I watched a 66 hauled coal go by, he'd be doing a constant 60mph on a level stretch. First thing I heard after I'd seen it were the rails quietly 'ringing' and this got louder as the train drew nearer. The I heard the two tones of the horn followed by another short blast after my acknowledgement, only after this could I begin to hear the engine (as opposed to loco) sound. But it was accompanied by roar of the wagons. As soon as the loco had passed all I could hear were the wagons and I could hear them for another mile's travel whilst the ringing of the rails died down.

So while I think sound has its place (and it is a bit of fun too!) I wonder, despite a decoder in every item of stock being rather impracticle, if there's a whole world of sound which has been missed?

James,

Slightly off the subject of the thread, but nevertheless an interesting thought expressed by many of us. Have a look at LayoutSound@yahoogroups.com for some ideas.B)

Of course, all that noise you mention is why it is often difficult to get usable recordings for our projects.

On the other hand, how is it that we can hear the words of someone we are interested in listening to in a crowded room, next to crashing waves at the beach or at a race track? Because our ears hear all the sounds, but our brains filter out what we don't want to listen to.

That's the difference between a recording and live performance. So, in order to try to recreate what we choose to listen to when a real train passes, the recordist and project author, need to do the brain's job of filtering out all the background noises. (Then aded some back in, like track noise, reverb etc to add ambiance!).

My view on your question is, yes, some of the real world is missed in loco sounds, but it is still important to get the sounds that are there as accurate and as isolated as possible. Other environmental sounds can be introduced from other sources for those that prefer it that way.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

That's the difference between a recording and live performance. So, in order to try to recreate what we choose to listen to when a real train passes, the recordist and project author, need to do the brain's job of filtering out all the background noises. (Then aded some back in, like track noise, reverb etc to add ambiance!).

i was recording a loco the other week, as we stopped in the sidings i was listening through the headphones and i could not only hear the loco ticking over but the mic was picking up the sounds of kid playing in a school playground next to the line.

when listening back on the computer it was possible to isolate the sounds and turn them into a useable sound file!!

its surprising what you do pick up without realising it too, many a time i've recorded something remotely (ie leaving the recorded running in an engine room while i'm working the train) only to play it back and have something ruin the recording such as a squeak or rattle that only maifests itself once the locois under load or on the move

I didn't say you did.As per my post, it's not what you've said but how you've said it.I don't think anyone will disagree with you there but you've come across, in my opinion, as preeching about this subject which is why I think people have reacted in a rather negative way. And you've been telling an experinced driver what makes for a realistic driving experience!

James

Preach?

Never.

I started this thread to show what this Zimo chip can do, for some reason there are some on here that do not want to hear it - not sure why?

Hence why I got comments about the Zimo only has this many minutes of sound, this much memory, tried Zimo - not as good as Loksound and my Loksound can do that.

Hmm

What the reasons for all the negative statements?

I have been trying to explain how you can have a better driving experience using a this Zimo than the current Loksound v3.5,- those that wish not to try it, no problem, but you cannot condem the experience until perhaps you have tried it.

The following is a (slightly modified for clarity) extract from a comprehensive ZSP Diesel Programming Tutorial which will be published by Hornby Magazine, see issue 47 (out tomorrow) for details.

For anyone using a Zimo decoder loaded with my 'manual notching and coasting' scheme, this is all you need to know about driving it.

Jim, I hope this explains the extent of the input a user needs to drive a loco with this scheme. You will notice that no CV changes are required for this.

Programming is something rather different.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driving technique:

Before you start, ensure that the F keys, on your DCC controller, which have the notch and idle sounds assigned are set to ‘Latched’. (This is the default setting on many systems)

This scheme allows the decoder to run the start up routine into idle and then to operate all automatic sounds assigned. These will usually be a brake release sound and/or a horn. This will occur as speed step one is selected. There will be an initial short period of idling sounds which will reduce to half volume level to give a continuous background sound.

As the idling sound sample reduces in volume, press (one at a time) F3, F4, or F5 to put on more power, or F 6 to continue idling with raised volume level. Any of these sounds can be played at any speed step, so for instance, a loco running at say, speed step 90/128 can have the ‘idle’ sound playing, thus simulating the PM sounds during coasting! (Of course at high speed, there will be a considerable amount of other mechanical noises in a real life loco). A loco slowing down as more and more of a long, heavy train is dragged onto an upward gradient can have the highest power PM sounds playing, which is again, prototypical. There’s almost no end to the permutations.

Whenever you deselect any of the keys F3-6 there will be a brief spool down sequence before returning to half volume idle. The technique is to blend the sound transitions to match the loco’s current operating conditions

When you halt your loco, the automatic idle sound will commence at normal volume, so deselect any of the keys F3-6 you may have running. Switching F1 key off will result in the shut-down routine.

So, the authenticity of your sounds will depend a great deal on your knowledge of Diesel-Electric loco operations, your driving skills, and your ability to press the correct F key at the right moment. Simple really! Ha Ha!!

I recognise that this will not be appropriate for all operators or all layouts. It does give unbeatable control of the sounds your loco makes and allows prototypical operation. This is at the cost of requiring more driver input.

I have found that the increased manual input required has enhanced the enjoyment I get driving locos on my layouts. There is more involvement than simply pushing the speed steps up and down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The use of half volume idle sounds avoids the possibility of embarrassing silences that CJ mentioned, and is a minor change from my original scheme.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

James

Preach?

Never.

I started this thread to show what this Zimo chip can do, for some reason there are some on here that do not want to hear it - not sure why?

Hence why I got comments about the Zimo only has this many minutes of sound, this much memory, tried Zimo - not as good as Loksound and my Loksound can do that.

Hmm

What the reasons for all the negative statements?

I have been trying to explain how you can have a better driving experience using a this Zimo than the current Loksound v3.5,- those that wish not to try it, no problem, but you cannot condem the experience until perhaps you have tried it.

i think the negative comments may well stem from the fact your initial post is simply 3 videos and a brief explination of what we are hearing with a comment to the effect "lets see if lok 4 can do this" therefore (and i was the first to reply) i asked for some sort of clarity of what we were actually listening to, to all intensive purposes the vid showed "in essence" what to me appeared to be notching in the same style as a loksound chip, i should imagine others saw it as the same and merely pointed out the fact the indeed "loksound has done that for years"

had your video maybe showed your hand actually doing the functons and movement separatly to put what we were seeing into context then the whole thing may have made sense from the first post, effectivly what peple were saying is "yeah, seen that done before with loksound" as (speaking for myself now) i was looking at a loco notching in a conventional way, nothing new.

its was also a bit vague as to whos sound we were listening to, i mean if only 1 person watched your video and went "wow, got to have one of those" were is it from, how much, will it work like that from the box or do i have to mess with it etc, the only place i know that does zimo is digitrax therefore if i were to phone them to order a 37 chip on the strength of your video would i get this one with all the functonality you are demonstrating as from what i can make out paul says it is not the same as digitrax supply, can you enlighten on that one, not for my sake but for anyone who is wanting a chip the same as yours so as not to be dissapointed if it cant do what you say as its not been programmed in.

but to then go on rubbishing others who "are stuck in their ways" ( with the market leaders chips) is why i think you have such a negative response to your thread,, i mean as i've pointed out before i'll give zimo a chance once i'm convinced, however if i do go for one and find it the best thing since sliced bread i certainly wont come on and rubbish other brands, things evolve, things change, in a few years time we may all look back on the current range of sound decoders from all manufacturors and laugh at "what we used to think was the bees knees" much in the same way we look on 1980's "hi tech" models

im still not convinced that "manual control" is a step forward by anyones book but i am interested in the idea of having different sound sets on one decoder, a 66 chip with light engine, 600 and 2500 ton trailing loads on it sounds like a brilliant idea and i'd certainly consider one of those (once im convinced) but manually notching seems pointless on someting like that as i could simply put it in 2500 ton load all the time to give the same effect as notching up, however 66s dont do bursts of power like a 37 so its acedemic anyway really!

i dont want to sound whingey and i as much as anyone else didnt want your thread to end up yet another zimo vs loksound but again it ended up that way from what i believe to be a lack of clear info and clarity

Jim,

There is lots of information on here regarding Zimo chips.

This Zimo chip is from Digitrains, yes the same class 37, 20 and 25 which I posted videos of a few months ago.

It has two sounds on it, the Digitrains sound

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/31240-digitrains-class-37-in-zimo-chip/

plus Paul's manual notching sounds, changable via a CV. - Hence my comment on its like having 2 sounds on 1 chip.

I tried to show in the vid's how I can have manual instant thrash, hence my comment vid 3 shows slow but constant accelleration/thrash.

I have said numerous times throughout this thread that the engine sounds are not dependent on either increase or decrease of speed steps which Loksound are. [i have received PM's from people who said they get it] - so I know people have read this thread and understood it from where I was coming from.

I still maintain there are people on this site that do not want to hear what was being said, hence all the negative comments tried Zimo, it cannot do what loksound can, its only got so & so spec - completely wrong!

Jim, you said Loksound is the market leader, but it does not mean it is the best and this is what I was getting at!

I kept on saying hey I have loksound and I know what they can and cannot do.

I keep refering to those stuck in loksound world, because some people believe they [Loksound] are the only ones doing quality sound chips - I was trying to show there is another alternative, which now does all sorts of stuff Loksound v3.5 cannot do. [don't forget I was one them not so long back, until I actually tried them] - Hence my comment about you really need to experience the manual driving of the sound chip before making judgement upon it.

But there will be people on this site that will not what to hear it, regardless of how good this Zimo chip is - because its not Loksound, I just do not understand why?

It has certainly got some people thinking, going by the number of hits on the thread.

Archived