Class 37 with manual Notching

cassey jones

• RMweb Gold

dont get me wrong i do get it, i get the concept of it, i get how its done, i get the fact the sounds are independant of movement but from your initial post i didn't get it, it took a few more repies to get it, but that may just be me, the long and short of it from my point of view is i just dont see the point of it, much in the same way i rarely use the notching function on my howes decoders. as pointed out before i can see the benefit of zimo's multiple sound file system but being used "automatically" to simulate different loads behind a 66 and am veryv interested in that idea, the reason i just dont see the point of it is from a real life point of view rather than from a "sound chip expert" point of view

a class 37 wont rev to full power when stationary, the load regulator wont let it, same when moving off, too much power (ie opening it full throttle as you do with our function button) will make the overload relay cut in and it will stop thrashing with a pop (from the cab you get a heck of a jolt too as power is instantly removed) you then have to shut the power handle and wait until the load regulator winds back before attempting to take power again, how long that takes is dependant on each loco, if you tried to take power while it winds back nothing will happen other than a warning light coming on on the dash.

i certainly dont profess to be the most experienced driver in the world, ive only been doing it less than 10 years, but i do have/did have a pretty varied tracton card and route card so i have driven lots of locos and units all over the place from carlisle to london and everwhere in between, hence why i jokingly mentioned the lack of extra buttons i have to press to make the engine rev up which you say we should be pressing to experience the most realistic driving experience, my basic loco traction is class 37s so although ive not driven one for over 18 months (and probably never will again) i do have a pretty good idea what they are like to drive and it doesn't involve extra buttons, i mean this week i've clocked up just over 1000 miles driving trains (ok only units) and will do again next week, and the week after all the time never having to push extra buttons (other than the buzzer and door release!!) likewise your comment about experiencing manual control, one day you may be like me and be lucky enough experience real life train control, then you can see where i'm coming from, handling a 1/4 mile long 2500 ton train takes a bit of thought and forward planning as does driving a 2 car 165 smoothly

yes people have been negative and have made comparisons between the various chips and those people are far more qualified than myself to make practical asessments of the merits and negatives of lok and zimo (ive never done anything other than change address' and the odd "beginners cv's) they say, tried zimo and didn't like it so i'll stick to loksound, maybe just maybe these people tried zimo, didn't like it and stuck with loksound, these things happen, bit like marmite you either love it or hate it!

it does seem that most threads seem to end up as lok vs zimo, why, i dont know, maybe its as you say, people are stuck in their ways, maybe lack of clear info is getting in the way, those who bought them being confused or possibly dissapointed by the setting up that is needed on them, hopefully pauls tutorials in Hornby mag may well lift the percieved veil of mystery. i dont buy Hornby mag but i will this month to see what is said, i do believe that a lot of people are simply waiting to see what lok 4 can do before jumping in both feet with zimo, but the longer it takes to get the software fully functional to exploit them to their full potential out and with articles like pauls in Hornby mag they may well start to lose out to zimo?

i will retract my statement about wading through the 57 page zimo manual as bryan tells me the lok4 one is 65 pages long!! :blink:

a class 37 wont rev to full power when stationary, the load regulator wont let it.

There were a lot of Scottish drivers who got very close though :lol: Those were the days, from a bashers point of view that is! Kev.

I like the idea of being able to control thrash as and when needed. I currently only have a Howes class 50 sound chip with a Hornby class 50 and think its great.

But the problem i find is that when the loco is running at high speed along my circuit i have to wait for the thrash to die down to idle before i can start slowing the train down. Alas when pulling a heavy train, the loco speeds up too quick from a stand still if i want alot of thrash.

So to be able to replicate a realistic pull away using loads of thrash on a heavy train and have the train pull away slowly would be something i am very interested in.

I dont really want to get into the above who said what argument, but i think locomotive thrash and when and how they do it, can be a different thing for many people. As a train driver for nearly 11 years driving many locos electric and diesals i have an understanding of what is trying to be explained by several people above. Maybe if a video was made so people could see what is involved ie button pushing while driving your sound loco using the zimo chip people could see and get a better understanding of what can be acheived by using it.

Preach?

It has come across as such I'm afraid.

What the reasons for all the negative statements?

Well comments like this can't have helped -

Whatever those stuck in Loksound world

I have never said Loksound is better than Zimo. It most likely isn't.

What I have said is I can make lok 3.5s do what I want.

CJ keeps saying you can not manually notch (thrash) with Lok sound separate from speed.

I am going to put the following in capital so CJ may take notice of it.

LOKSOUND HAS HAD MANUAL NOTCHING FOR YRS. SEPARATE FROM THROTTLE/SPEED STEPS.

I can and do manually notch the revs up a little then start the train slowly then MANUALLY NOTCH THE ENGINE REVS MORE WITHOUT ALTERING THE TRAIN SPEED.

I can and do get my LOK equipped locos to coast in a manner that suits me. Not the same as Zimo and possibly not quite as good but coast none the less.

Re CJ's video on thrashing without altering engine speed. Again I say THERE IS NOTHING THERE THAT I CAN NOT DO WITH lOKSOUND.

BTW CJ I never said you called anybody an idiot! I said, that is the way you were being perceived. You are coming across that way.

Cheers

Ian

Sunnysa,

You still do not get it!

The notching on the Zimo are the engine noises from start up to full Thrash, I control the amount as and when required, because all the engine sounds after pressing F1 are done by myself manually - not the speed step which is how most if not all Loksound decoders are.

The concept of notching you have have is not the same.

I think you are talking about pressing F5 [or what ever number on your controller] letting the engine increase revs, then using your speed step to set the loco in motion [ the engine sounds in relation to your loco moving are pre programmed [ automatically programmed in the sound chip to sound a certain way when the loco is moving].

The Zimo is completely manual, [no sound of the engine pre programmed to the speed step].

Although, if you wish to run the loco like I pre progammed chip [automatic engine sounds in relation to the speed step] then simply change a CV! - this is why I said originally its like having 2 sound chips in 1.

I think the word Notching might be causing some confusion.

CJ

You must realise that Sunnysa and others have programmed their own loksound decoders to suit their own needs, so they are describing lok's capabilities. Loksound has a better arrangement for automatic notching within the software, and when programmed and set up correctly can be sufficient for many users. Also, it is possible to programme loksound in the same way as I have done for Zimo, it's a simple assignment of sounds to F keys. But you need the lokprogrammer software and interface to be able to do it. These are not options open to you without them.

Ian,

CJ is speaking as an end user. He does not programme any decoders and so he is comparing what is available to end users, not what the decoders are ultimately capable of in the right programmer's hands. I would suggest he represents the largest proportion of sound loco users who are reliant on others to provide them with the sounds and driving experience they are looking for.

Also, when you start to use lok V4, you will have some understanding of the difference in sound that a 3W amplifier makes.

What cannot be disputed is that Zimo can have up to 32 different sound sets on one decoder, whilst loksound is designed to have only one at a time. This means that if someone programmes a lok to have notch sounds on F keys, that is the way it remains unless it is reblown. With Zimo, it's possible to load a fully manual notching and coasting scheme, plus a linear progression scheme, (plus the sound of a Lancaster Bomber if you wish) on the same decoder, so that the user, without needing programming skills or equipment, can switch between the two types of driving as their mood dictates. It's requires only a simple change to one CV to do so.

So, for the end user without re-programming capability, there is a choice. The more expensive market leader, which will come with one sound set, possibly supplied by one of a variety of authors, (Howes/ Olivia's etc), or Zimo, which may contain many different sound sets from which to select, at will, the most appropriate scheme for their needs.

For the end user, the ultimate capabilities of either decoder are invisible. The way that they behave and can be used in practice is all they need to judge.

To answer Jim's question, the Class 37 Zimo decoders from Digitrains have these options 'out of the box', (and more!)

Paul

• RMweb Gold

thanks for clarifying those points paul, the way i read it is yes loksound can do the same IF you program it yourself with a lok programmer (or whoever you choose to buy from) but the advantage of zimo is you can do all what cassey is showing without having to resort to buying a programmer as you have put the sounds on the chip to start with?

about my question regards jmri though, i have tried a tsunami chip and found it really good that i could change whistle and sound sets on jmri with the program telling in that whistle 1 was such and such, chuff 2 was off a 2-6-0 etc, if i get a zimo 37 (digitrains)) sound set would it show similar in the function description window ie, the horns available on this function are........ if you see what i mean, then i simly click my chosen configurations and save my settings?

thanks for clarifying those points paul, the way i read it is yes loksound can do the same IF you program it yourself with a lok programmer (or whoever you choose to buy from) but the advantage of zimo is you can do all what cassey is showing without having to resort to buying a programmer as you have put the sounds on the chip to start with?

about my question regards jmri though, i have tried a tsunami chip and found it really good that i could change whistle and sound sets on jmri with the program telling in that whistle 1 was such and such, chuff 2 was off a 2-6-0 etc, if i get a zimo 37 (digitrains)) sound set would it show similar in the function description window ie, the horns available on this function are........ if you see what i mean, then i simly click my chosen configurations and save my settings?

Jim,

Your reading is correct. Additionally, with Zimo, you can choose between 'automatic' or 'manual' driving sets by changing just one CV.

As for decoder pro, I very rarely use it. I've nothing against it, it has a great user interface, it's just that I prefer to make changes using either MXDECUP or my DCC controller.

From what I have read, it should be possible to choose sounds to mix and match from any of the sound sets on the Zimo decoder using decoder pro, but I cannot guarantee that is true.

But what is true is that if all else fails, you can still select any individual sound from any soundset loaded onto the Zimo decoder. ie mix and match, by using your DCC controller. You can even change the volume of each sound independantly in the same way. No need for a programmer, no need even for a computer. This enables changes to be made when your loco is away from 'home' when your usual facilities aren't available.

I still find it surprising that so few people are aware of this facility. It's a feature of Zimo decoders, not your controller. Therefore, it can be done from any NMRA compliant DCC controller, although it will be more convenient with some brands/models than others.

Paul

thanks for clarifying those points paul,

I'd also like to thank Paul for his patient clarification of what is possible with Zimo.

Yes, up to a point.

Paul says all the changes are possible with CV changes. In that case, they are all changeable with JMRI as all JMRI (DecoderPro aspects) does is change CV's very quickly and put a user interface on the front.

The limitation comes in the description of the decoder file. For the Tsunami, the decoders come with a number of pre-loaded sound sets from the maker on the same underlying decoder. So, it was not a massive job for some developers to make the user interface exactly match the underlying sounds on the decoder. So, things are labelled "horn" and "bell", and other more specific features associated with the particular locomotive(s) on that version of the chip.

In contrast, the current state with Zimo is that the decoder files are a generic set, so the interface will be labelled "sound slot 1" "sound slot 2", (or similar). Eventually, it may be possible to offer more customised JMRI interfaces for specific sound projects, but that's not going to be next week or next month. I'm not even sure if the new Zimo files (a big improvement and cover the new decoders released in the last four months) will make the cut for the next test release of JMRI (I have a copy of the files as I make some minor contributions to the Zimo files).

- Nigel

I'd also like to thank Paul for his patient clarification of what is possible with Zimo.

Yes, up to a point.

Paul says all the changes are possible with CV changes. In that case, they are all changeable with JMRI as all JMRI (DecoderPro aspects) does is change CV's very quickly and put a user interface on the front.

The limitation comes in the description of the decoder file. For the Tsunami, the decoders come with a number of pre-loaded sound sets from the maker on the same underlying decoder. So, it was not a massive job for some developers to make the user interface exactly match the underlying sounds on the decoder. So, things are labelled "horn" and "bell", and other more specific features associated with the particular locomotive(s) on that version of the chip.

In contrast, the current state with Zimo is that the decoder files are a generic set, so the interface will be labelled "sound slot 1" "sound slot 2", (or similar). Eventually, it may be possible to offer more customised JMRI interfaces for specific sound projects, but that's not going to be next week or next month. I'm not even sure if the new Zimo files (a big improvement and cover the new decoders released in the last four months) will make the cut for the next test release of JMRI (I have a copy of the files as I make some minor contributions to the Zimo files).

- Nigel

Nigel,

That's not quite what I said. CV#265 will change one complet sound set for another. Since it's only one CV to change, there's not much point in using decoder pro, it's quicker from a DCC controller.

Jim was asking about assigning individual sound files to sound slots as you describe above without needing to re-programme. It is possible because Zimo has a special 'pseudo programming' CV 300. Say you set CV 300 = 3, your DCC controller can be used to select the individual sound to allocate to F key 3, and so on. In this special mode, the throttle becomes the volume control for that sound on Fkey 3 enabling you to set up the balance between sounds. When you have finished, press F 8 and the changes are saved to your decoder. you can change them again anytime you wish.

Now, these changes are being made 'invisibly' by CV (Zimo have confirmed this to me), but the exact CVs involved are 'not documented' nor are they likely to be. So maybe decoder pro cannot be used after all.

CJ has mentioned, but I think the relevance of what he said was missed, that he was able to use this quite successsfully. I know that he used the same principles to change sounds on other Zimo decoders. He uses his Lenz controller to change sounds and individual volumes.

The advantage for end users without programming facilities is obvious. If you look!:D

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I hadn't looked deep enough into the "pseudo programming" modes in Zimo. I need to get a MX646 (or similar) blown with the 37 project and experiment further.

You are right that pseudo programming isn't workable with normal DecoderPro files. However, I have written a JMRI tool for another aspects of Zimo pseudo programming, the setting of function key to outputs using CV61=98 (this gives options not usually accessible via the NMRA function maps). I'll look at the documentation further to see if there is anything which I can add to aid users.

- Nigel

Nigel,

That would indeed be useful.

The stuff you need is on pages 35 to 38 of the decoder manual. I found the section confusing at first. The screen shots from Zimo MX32 controllers are more a distraction that a help due to the idiosyncratic layout of Zimo cabs. I suggest you just use the F keys listed and ignore the pictures.;)

This next bit is not about sound, so Jim, don't get panicky again. :D

I normally use CV 61 = 98 for remapping, so much better than NMRA restricted scheme, and great for special headcode lighting schemes. When you have the possibility of 10 Function Outputs as on the Zimo (4 on the loksound!) it's important to be able to map them as you wish rather than some strangers' idea of how it should be done.

I'll check out your work on decoder pro, it can be tedious to set up via ZSP so I can se this being very useful, thanks for mentioning it.

Didn't I offer to send you this notching sound project for evaluation some months ago?

Paul

Paul,

After my last post I was beginning to think that CJ was speaking from an end point, RTR, users view and does not do any programing. It is a pity he did not say so from the start.

As you said Paul, Loksound has great capabilities including manual notching ( thrash) separate from throttle controlled speed.

This, as I have said, has been in Loks for a few yrs but not in RTR Loks which is apparently available in Zimo.

Does this make Zimo better than Loksound? All depends how you look at it IMHO. For those that want plug and play with out any extra programing it probably does make Zimo better.

To me it doesn't. Programing my Loks with Lokprogramer the way I want is part of my enjoyment in this great hobby.

I did mention programing Loks with Lokprogramer in earlier posts but Paul is the only one that seems to have picked up on it.

Thanks for the concise clarification Paul.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

No problem. When you have the programming equipment, it easy to assume everyone else is talking about programming.

The main point is that Zimo decoders are a viable alternative for some people.

Whereas, the usual advice here is that lok are the only real choice for everyone. That gets a bit irritating for those who have other opinions.

I programme both Lok and Zimo so I know their capabilities. My preference is for Zimo, but that is not solely based on their sound capability. They are simply more feature-rich as DCC decoders than lok, even lok v4. You don't need to take my word for it, just compare the published specifications for yourself.

Of course, one may not need the extra features that Zimo provides for a smaller price, so that will not weigh heavily in one's decision.

Paul

I have never doubted Zimo are more feature rich than Loks or any other for that matter. Also at a cheaper price, at the moment, but I dare say, if Zimo start to really capture the market things will change. Price wise at least.

I don't think I ever said Loksound are the only option. At some time I did say "to each their own".

I personally know modelers that use MRC sound chips and think they are the greatest thing ever invented.

Their money, their choice.

As I said, I won't be investing in Zimo chips or programmer any time soon as Loksound/Lokprogramer does every thing I want so why change.

Re assuming CJ was talking about programing; not really, it was the way he was coming across.

Any how, I am pleased it is all cleared up, thanks to you Paul,so we can get on and enjoy our hobby no matter what brand of equipment floats our boat.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Yes, I'd probably do the same thing in your shoes.

BTW, I've got a really great sound project for the boat you want to float.

It's a Deltic. Ha Ha :D

Paul

Paul,

I did not know Deltic was a boat. GRIN

Also, if i run a Deltic on my layout the USA locos might gang up on it and push it of the track LOL.

Once again Paul, thank you for your cool head and clearing things up.

Cheers

Ian

Nigel,

That's not quite what I said. CV#265 will change one complet sound set for another. Since it's only one CV to change, there's not much point in using decoder pro, it's quicker from a DCC controller.

Jim was asking about assigning individual sound files to sound slots as you describe above without needing to re-programme. It is possible because Zimo has a special 'pseudo programming' CV 300. Say you set CV 300 = 3, your DCC controller can be used to select the individual sound to allocate to F key 3, and so on. In this special mode, the throttle becomes the volume control for that sound on Fkey 3 enabling you to set up the balance between sounds. When you have finished, press F 8 and the changes are saved to your decoder. you can change them again anytime you wish.

Now, these changes are being made 'invisibly' by CV (Zimo have confirmed this to me), but the exact CVs involved are 'not documented' nor are they likely to be. So maybe decoder pro cannot be used after all.

CJ has mentioned, but I think the relevance of what he said was missed, that he was able to use this quite successsfully. I know that he used the same principles to change sounds on other Zimo decoders. He uses his Lenz controller to change sounds and individual volumes.

The advantage for end users without programming facilities is obvious. If you look!:D

Paul

Hi Paul

Prior to purchasing a refurb 37/4 decoder from Digitrains - assuming they now have stock avail ? I've a couple of questions

Will the decoder as purchased have "your" notching option installed ? which is accessed via CV 265 ? What values are required in this CV for the different driving options ?

One other question: When using the "notching" driving mode with F2 F3 F4 F6, are the sound assignments for F2 3 4 6 ie Single/Double Horns / Air release / Compressor not usable/available or are they shifted to other F keys when using the "Notching" driving mode ?

Finally, is it only the 37 decoders that have the "notching" mode avail, or is it also present on other British Diesels classes offered by Digitrains ? Reading thru the Zimo manual, is remapping only avail up to F12 ? or am I missing something ?

TIA

Ken

I've just spotted this in your post Paul. It gives the clue to either Tran's involvement in the development of this sound chip or the Austrian ambivalence to DecoderPro and other market compatibility in general.

JMRI gave up on Tran some time ago and withdrew support as he signally failed to provide the necessary decoder CV values to enable DecoderPro to read and write and generally tweak his decoders including the sound ones.

I know that Arnold Huebsch has served Zimo well and is on the NMRA discussion group. There must be a technical reason why Zimo and indeed Tran don't want everyone to know these CV's. I know that Loksound is much the same in this respect.

On a technical note, I am pretty sure that you cannot allocate more than one sound to a function button on Loksound but you can of course allocate other programmed events to each button. Thus switching on the lights can be linked to a generator sound and I have used blow down hiss on selecting shunting mode on one of my steamers. You can of course develop a sound slot that contains more than one sound so both play together on the button push.

Can Zimo do more than this? Even if it can, I am not entirely sure that I would want that so I would allocate other sounds to higher functions anyway. Could Zimo actually cope with both?

I've just spotted this in your post Paul. It gives the clue to either Tran's involvement in the development of this sound chip or the Austrian ambivalence to DecoderPro and other market compatibility in general.

JMRI gave up on Tran some time ago and withdrew support as he signally failed to provide the necessary decoder CV values to enable DecoderPro to read and write and generally tweak his decoders including the sound ones.

We're not allowed to say "######" on this forum.

I am the current author of the JMRI files for CT (Tran) decoders. I've been writing them for some time.

JMRI has up to date decoder files for both sound and non-sound CT (Tran) decoders.

There is another small tweak due to go in to a future JMRI release, but its a minor presentation change, not a major CV issue.

I'm not aware of JMRI ever "withdrawing support" from a decoder or a decoder maker.

I know that Arnold Huebsch has served Zimo well and is on the NMRA discussion group. There must be a technical reason why Zimo and indeed Tran don't want everyone to know these CV's. I know that Loksound is much the same in this respect.

I don't think its a conspiracy to hide things.

Instead, having now sat down and read the documentation, its an attempt by Zimo to make very complex sound features accessible to end-users via their DCC handset - any handset, not necessarily a Zimo one. The user sets one Ops-Mode CV (with a documented method that will work on very ancient handsets which can only set CV's below CV100!). Then, the users presses Function keys to select sounds and parameters associated with that sound, the speed control sets the volume, and the process is ended with a Function Key which saves the selection. The user can select which sounds on the chip are used for specific purposes (eg. change the blow-down hiss, or select a different whistle), the volume of each sound clip individually, whether it has a finite length or the centre loops (playable whistles), etc...

A JMRI tool for this approach to setting up Zimo chips will be available to test shortly, when I've finished writing it.

On a technical note, I am pretty sure that you cannot allocate more than one sound to a function button on Loksound but you can of course allocate other programmed events to each button. Thus switching on the lights can be linked to a generator sound and I have used blow down hiss on selecting shunting mode on one of my steamers. You can of course develop a sound slot that contains more than one sound so both play together on the button push.

Can Zimo do more than this? Even if it can, I am not entirely sure that I would want that so I would allocate other sounds to higher functions anyway. Could Zimo actually cope with both?

You can allocate sound and function outputs to the same function key in a Zimo chip. The end user can set most (quite probably all) of these without needing proprietry sound loading hardware and software.

- Nigel

I'm not aware of JMRI ever "withdrawing support" from a decoder or a decoder maker.

This was some years ago when CT was (is?) a black hole for information and support. I think that the originators of the JMRI DP programme and many users were fed up with requesting information and getting none so that meant that the ability to write DP definition files was severely curtailed. It is unfortunate that, at the time, DP had this magical facility to spray CV values all over the place if you pressed 'read all sheets', which, as you know is very disconcerting if the definition file is even one CV short.

I do appreciate that things might be different now and that you have spent a lot of time writing these files but, back then, we all relied on manufacturer back up for this sort of thing and since I specialise in sound decoders and projects for them, I have to use the manufacturers hardware and software and that means that DecoderPro is not very much use to me.

• 1 month later...

Finally done a vid of showing how Functions work.

This is the latest version of their 37, it now has 37/0 and 37/4 on one chip [both as standard form -sounds related to speed step and in manual form sounds work from Function f3 f4 f5 f6]

Switchable via CV265

The fantastic sounds are supplied from Digitrains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzTDc3tIPI

Finally done a vid of showing how Functions work.

This is the latest version of their 37, it now has 37/0 and 37/4 on one chip [both as standard form -sounds related to speed step and in manual form sounds work from Function f3 f4 f5 f6]

Switchable via CV265

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QbzTDc3tIPI

CJ

Great video, shows exactly what can be achieved with my method of manual notching and a Zimo sound decoder. To think that you can get both manual notching and 'normal' speed related PM sound changes for two different locos on one chip that sounds so good is remarkable. Unique for a fully programmable chip.

When you say 'their 37', I presume you mean Digitrains?

Good work, well done.

KInd regards,

Paul

Archived