Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Indeed. And that’s fine for me and you John but other operators don’t necessarily think of that in the heat of an exhibition….

I ended up using super glue plus some of the associated powder to try to create a bit more of a bond...

I hope it runs better than the one I bought in 2018. Ran like a three legged dog until my mate hard-wired it for me. It seems to run well enough now but it has retained the extremely uncomplimentary name I bestowed on it during its troubles; s***w***ingc***b******ofaf***t***.

Davy.

Edited by Mad McCann

On 15/09/2022 at 01:21, Soul Survivor said:

Interesting to watch a fairly positive review of the forthcoming  ‘upgraded’ Heljan Class 14 re-release. How disappointing though to see how many of the previous issues with this model have not been fully addressed and the opportunities missed to enhance the previous model.

The change from 8 pin to 21 pin DCC fitting is a good move as it allows easier and quicker decoder fitment. But still there’s no provision for the fitting of a decent speaker and/or stay alive (which this loco needs if running on DCC). As for having to effectively break off part of the cab interior to enable removing the engine cover to install the decoder, that remains as ridiculous as it was on the previous model.

The head code box lighting and directional lamps are an improvement and look way more prototypical. The lighting on the previous models, though much brighter, are leds and not incandescent as stated in the video.

Droopy couplings! Surely these could have been sorted out during the upgrade. Also it would have been an improvement if the screw link couplings were supplied as an unfitted accessory so they don’t interfere with any tension lock or kadee coupling when fitted. Supplying a small insert piece to fill the hole in the buffer beam when the NEM pocket is not used would been a nice touch. Yellow colouration to the inside of the buffer beam and shiny plasticky buffers remain as per the previous model, yet another let down.

The model still appears to waddle at slow speed, both on the rolling road and on the track. There seems to be as much sideways play in the axles as on previous models, affecting not only the motion but maybe the wiper pickups as well - hence why this model needs provision for the fitting of a stay alive if running on DCC.

I’m grateful this video has been posted as I was intending to purchase one of the these newer models. Based on what I’ve seen it just doesn’t deliver the improvements I was hoping for, such as better running characteristics and provision for a loudspeaker or stay alive. Therefore, I’m going to give it a miss and keep fettling my two previous sound fitted models!

On 15/09/2022 at 01:21, Soul Survivor said:

Interesting to watch a fairly positive review of the forthcoming  ‘upgraded’ Heljan Class 14 re-release. How disappointing though to see how many of the previous issues with this model have not been fully addressed and the opportunities missed to enhance the previous model.

The change from 8 pin to 21 pin DCC fitting is a good move as it allows easier and quicker decoder fitment. But still there’s no provision for the fitting of a decent speaker and/or stay alive (which this loco needs if running on DCC). As for having to effectively break off part of the cab interior to enable removing the engine cover to install the decoder, that remains as ridiculous as it was on the previous model.

The head code box lighting and directional lamps are an improvement and look way more prototypical. The lighting on the previous models, though much brighter, are leds and not incandescent as stated in the video.

Droopy couplings! Surely these could have been sorted out during the upgrade. Also it would have been an improvement if the screw link couplings were supplied as an unfitted accessory so they don’t interfere with any tension lock or kadee coupling when fitted. Supplying a small insert piece to fill the hole in the buffer beam when the NEM pocket is not used would been a nice touch. Yellow colouration to the inside of the buffer beam and shiny plasticky buffers remain as per the previous model, yet another let down.

The model still appears to waddle at slow speed, both on the rolling road and on the track. There seems to be as much sideways play in the axles as on previous models, affecting not only the motion but maybe the wiper pickups as well - hence why this model needs provision for the fitting of a stay alive if running on DCC.

I’m grateful this video has been posted as I was intending to purchase one of the these newer models. Based on what I’ve seen it just doesn’t deliver the improvements I was hoping for, such as better running characteristics and provision for a loudspeaker or stay alive. Therefore, I’m going to give it a miss and keep fettling my two previous sound fitted models!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Jenny Kirks review was even handed and balanced; she made the important point that to remedy all the issues with this loco would have taken a complete redesign with new tooling. Although that was probably the way to go from the modellers point of view, Heljan it seems decided that the economics of it just did not add up, and tried to make a silk pursefrom the sows ear that was the first release.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 20/09/2022 at 12:45, Coppercap said:

Just had an email from Hattons - they were taking pre-orders at £152.15, but due to a 'misunderstanding' they cannot provide them at that price now, and have increased the price to £169.15...

Hmmm........does this 'misunderstanding' extend to all of the other yet-to-be-delivered Heljan models pitched at £152.15 then? Time will tell (and not that much time I suspect.....)

I have an original D9500 which runs OK and yes, required one set of cab steps supergluing back on before I'd started using it. Fitting the headcodes was 'fun' too, during which I also discovered the necessity to break off part of the cab interior - poor design. Persuading the brake gear and sandboxes to stay attached was also frustrating. I remember seeing the early photos of the model D9500 and expecting it to be delivered with running numbers in the correct font - nope, it was modelled in 'as-preserved condition', with 'wrong' numbers. Irritating because I didn't recall it being described as such before release. Mine is now D9509, one of three I saw from the train while passing Cardiff Canton in late July 1970 (the others being D9519 and D9535......which was still moving!) - '09 went for scrap which made modelling the short-lived machine that much more attractive.......but that's just me I guess 🤪!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2022 at 21:42, Halvarras said:

Hmmm........does this 'misunderstanding' extend to all of the other yet-to-be-delivered Heljan models pitched at £152.15 then? Time will tell (and not that much time I suspect.....)

I used to have 15 Heljan models on back order, all of them leaped in pre-order price 2 weeks ago.

Today I am £3k in commitments better off as I canceled the lot.

Instead i’ll chose on merit at the time, and let the rest to the gamble of MOOD… Miss Out Or Discount…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/09/2022 at 12:45, Coppercap said:

Just had an email from Hattons - they were taking pre-orders at £152.15, but due to a 'misunderstanding' they cannot provide them at that price now, and have increased the price to £169.15...

Yesterday, Rails Of Sheffield took payment of £152.15 for my pre-order so I presume it will be dispatched quite soon and they have honoured the pre-order price.

Strangely, although payment has been taken, this order does not currently show anywhere in my online account. Odd 🤔  

I’ve had an email from Hattons today indicating my pre-ordered weathered D9545 is about to be shipped - looking forward to receiving it as an essential element of traction for my Worcestershire based layout - though I may be renumbering it (as well as fitting a chip)! D9517 is a good contender.. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

I’ve had an email from Hattons today indicating my pre-ordered weathered D9545 is about to be shipped - looking forward to receiving it as an essential element of traction for my Worcestershire based layout - though I may be renumbering it (as well as fitting a chip)! D9517 is a good contender.. 

As seen on shed at 85A? Looking at the Neil Parkinson books there are two photos of Class 14s …. My favourite D9502 …. Plus D9555 working mixed freights north of Gloucester. I reckon there was a short time in 1966 when as Gloucester trip locos they covered Worcester workings… where else could those two freights …. Heading south at Cleeve and Cheltenham… have originated? 

1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

One of the versions is  "Heljan 1420 Class 14 Train pack with D9553 in BR green and four 'Dogfish' wagons in BR black".

I'm not interested in the Class 14, but would like some more "Dogfish" wagons  -  any chance of them being released separately ?

Why not buy, and sell-on D9553 - you never know, some uninformed Ebayer may make you a profit?!?

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

One of the versions is  "Heljan 1420 Class 14 Train pack with D9553 in BR green and four 'Dogfish' wagons in BR black".

I'm not interested in the Class 14, but would like some more "Dogfish" wagons  -  any chance of them being released separately ?

Virtually all my toy train purchases these days are 'used' but are to all intents and purposes (other than warranty...) new, so I'd just seek out some second hand ones.

12 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Is D9545 actually weathered? The photos on Kernow's and Hattons' websites suggest not. Kernow have priced it the same as pristine D9505 but Hattons have priced it as weathered. Storm clouds gathering......?!

Anyone remember the furore when Heljan first announced the Dogfish RRP at £20, or around twice what the other manufacturers were asking for a 4-wheeled wagon? When it appeared it had been adjusted to c£15, fair enough for a product which required a fair degree of factory assembly. (Oh, and some of the first releases had 3-rail wheelsets - no insulation! Instant shorting!!)

2 hours ago, phil gollin said:

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but some years ago Heljan released a selection of Dogfish 4-packs which ended up being shifted at silly prices - I bought one from Cheltenham Model Centre for less than £40. There was a selection of packs of the wagons in different livery combinations, although still period-specific (one pack even included one in 'gulf red'). They were described as weathered, although you had to look VERY hard to see it........maybe this is the kind of weathering they've applied to D9545!! At least knowing this gives you something else to look for besides individual wagons (finding four at once would be much better!) Happy hunting!

Edited by Halvarras
Just remembered the wheel error!
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

As seen on shed at 85A? Looking at the Neil Parkinson books there are two photos of Class 14s …. My favourite D9502 …. Plus D9555 working mixed freights north of Gloucester. I reckon there was a short time in 1966 when as Gloucester trip locos they covered Worcester workings… where else could those two freights …. Heading south at Cleeve and Cheltenham… have originated? 

Yes indeed - but to be honest I think any which were allocated to Bristol Bath Road are probably fair game with a bit of rule 1 licence but D9517 was one of the only ones which lasted at 82A until later in 1967 and then was transferred to S Wales (whereas most of the 82A allocated seem to have been transferred earlier to Hull, many by the end of 1966). Thus it can run alongside blue liveried locos with ‘D’ numbers - even a WR class 37 if one of the manufacturers doing them currently actually gets around to doing one - or even green syp WR ones 😉

It looks like I’ll be ordering some numbers from @cctransuk at some stage! 

I’ll report on what standard of weathering has been applied when it actually arrives!! 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Yes indeed - but to be honest I think any which were allocated to Bristol Bath Road are probably fair game with a bit of rule 1 licence but D9517 was one of the only ones which lasted at 82A until later in 1967 and then was transferred to S Wales (whereas most of the 82A allocated seem to have been transferred earlier to Hull, many by the end of 1966). Thus it can run alongside blue liveried locos with ‘D’ numbers - even a WR class 37 if one of the manufacturers doing them currently actually gets around to doing one - or even green syp WR ones 😉

It looks like I’ll be ordering some numbers from @cctransuk at some stage! 

I’ll report on what standard of weathering has been applied when it actually arrives!! 

Will look forwards to seeing her! Debating whether to get one of the new batch to do D9502 ….

I was adamant I would not buy another class 14 after the disappointment of the first batch and after a recent review saying the  new model still wobbled slightly stood by my decision.

HOWEVER ..after seeing one of the new batch at my local model shop and seeing it run on the test track, I thought ,yes there is a great improvement in the running qualities….nice and smooth, so, I’ll give it a reprieve,and bought it !
HOWEVER…After taking it home and preparing to fit the 21 pin decoder, the old traits came back,

removing the cab and bonnet (with great difficulty) the cab interior bulkhead snapped off

along with the control desk handle,out came the glue.Now I know how fragile this model is and I handle it meticulously,but of those cab steps are begging to break off and lo and behold ..out comes the glue.

after fitting decoder and making good ,I turn to the sandbox and brake shoes that have to be fitted by hand.

They seemed to slot in the holes much better than my old first model .

Great now to run in….however …half a turn of the driving wheels and they bind,well what do you know the con rods are fouling the break shoes and off they fly ….twice,and I repeat I went to great lengths to fit them properly.

I will triple check tomorrow and waste some more time , but I think it will be a refund for me.

but, good luck with your purchases,…..so disappointed ☹️ .

Oh and by the way in dcc ,when it stalls all the lights come on both ends.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/11/2022 at 07:25, LNERGE said:

It has taken a lot of effort to get mine to run satisfactorily, way beyond what I would say is reasonable for a new model. I think I am there with it now. The real test will come later. My 8 year old lad wants to use it for some shunting.

How was it running straight out of the box, and what did you have to do to it to get it running satisfactorily? I had one on pre-order, but cancelled when Hattons advised of a price increase which they were going to pass on. Still wondering if I made the right decision or not...

On 14/11/2022 at 23:29, BRIAN T said:

I was adamant I would not buy another class 14 after the disappointment of the first batch and after a recent review saying the  new model still wobbled slightly stood by my decision.

HOWEVER ..after seeing one of the new batch at my local model shop and seeing it run on the test track, I thought ,yes there is a great improvement in the running qualities….nice and smooth, so, I’ll give it a reprieve,and bought it !
HOWEVER…After taking it home and preparing to fit the 21 pin decoder, the old traits came back,

removing the cab and bonnet (with great difficulty) the cab interior bulkhead snapped off

along with the control desk handle,out came the glue.Now I know how fragile this model is and I handle it meticulously,but of those cab steps are begging to break off and lo and behold ..out comes the glue.

after fitting decoder and making good ,I turn to the sandbox and brake shoes that have to be fitted by hand.

They seemed to slot in the holes much better than my old first model .

Great now to run in….however …half a turn of the driving wheels and they bind,well what do you know the con rods are fouling the break shoes and off they fly ….twice,and I repeat I went to great lengths to fit them properly.

I will triple check tomorrow and waste some more time , but I think it will be a refund for me.

but, good luck with your purchases,…..so disappointed ☹️ .

Oh and by the way in dcc ,when it stalls all the lights come on both ends.

Third try this morning, It will not run with the brake shoes on, which is a big No No for me.

Back to the shop it went.

By the way anyone fitting the decoder and the bonnet is stiff to remove after taking out the screw,it may well be the fine wires to the lights jammed between the plastic body and the metal block as it was with mine.