Class 67

Cardiff Bluebird

I keep reading comments about this massive demand for a decent Class 86 yet both the Heljan and the Dapol models have sold poorly. I know that in the case of the Heljan this was probably largely down to the quality of the model, but the Dapol model seemed to be well received, yet they haven't sold many of them either. Are you sure that this so-called demand for Class 86 models isn't just a case of "me and my mate want them" which seems quite prevalent in a lot of modellers.

If there's no demand for AC electrics then how come Bachmann - a firm who said quite publically a couple of years ago they would not produce AC electric models as there was no deamnd - are not only set to produce a Class 85 (of which only 40 were made in approximately four variations of two basic blue liveries) but also a Desiro? The Class 86 numbered 100, came in four distinct variations, and have carried more than 10 different liveries, and have lasted over 40 years, which makes for a far more marketable model. With Dapol's OHLE on the way, and a hopefully decent Class 85, it won't just be me and my mates wanting an 86 or three, the 86s outnumbered the 85s by two to one so there will be demand.

Perhaps a valid point, but I'm not sure the comparison itself is valid. The comments above were related to demand for a OO 86, so sales figures of an N 86 aren't, I would argue, necessarily all that comparible. Hornby seem to think there is enough demand to rehash their old body into a new livery, so who knows what their plans are.

Either way, a brand new 67 would be most welcome.

Absolutely. Admittedly the Hornby 86 tooling owes them no money but if it didn't sell, it would have been dropped long ago. Sales of the Dapol 86 are irrelevant as according to recent surveys on another site, N gauge is still a minority interest so sales will be fewer as there are fewer people modelling the gauge. The two are not comparable.

However, like you say, and back on topic, a new 67 would be very welcome and must be a commercial shoo-in for Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I think it is significant that Hornby were intending to produce both DCC Ready and DCC Fitted versions (if you look the missing "numbers" in the Hattons webpages are for R30..X versions). So far, they have only gone down this road for locos with new tooling.

We'll have to wait and see to be sure. But if they are announced for 2012, I can't really see them appearing 1st quarter if the stuff still delayed in 2011 needs to arrive first...

I have done somemore researching. Sorry i like facts and stats! lol.

The RPP (ie not eHattons) prices for R3038/X postponed Class 67 was £119.99/£136.99.

Now if we compare this to other RRP prices in the 2010 range. Say the Class 31 (Network Rail) NonDDC/DDC is £133.25/£150.75 and the Class 60 (Tees) is £127.99 NonDDC. I start to again doubt that £119.99 is fitting into the more expensive re-tooled ex Lima locos.

The last Class 67 release - 67018 "Rapid" had an RPP of £80.25. Now this was in 2009 Catolgue release (according to Google search). Inflation over 3 years, say an average of 3% rounds up to £10 increase. Then the well reported Hornby price increase of 20% due to exceptional manafacturing cost increases reported earlier this year adds £16 onto the RRP...We quickly get to near to the £110 mark for RRP. Thus, though saying the following sentense sounds a little rich of me: A RRP price of £119.99 for a totally new-retooled product sounds a little bit cheap, especially when compared to other ex-Lima re-tooled Hornby locos with much higher RRP prices. I will not, i do think the current Hornby RRP prices are excessive!

Right - fact mission over lol. Just wanted to support my previous arguement against re-tooled back in research. :)

(Random side note - If Direct Rail Services go ahead ordering 20 Vossloh Eurolights 4000 it shall almost certainly mean a new 67 model, as these Eurolight locos have very similar bodyshells to the 67 prototypes)

Edit....

I Should of mentioned the current RRP for the Wrexham and Shropshire Train pack, including a Class 67, is £143.25! Considering the RRP of a DVT is £49.99. Thats nearly £100 for a Class 67!

• RMweb Gold

And how often do Hattons charge RRP? They are selling off ViTrains locos for almost a third of their RRP. They are selling the Hornby British Steel 60 for £103, down from the £127.99 RRP you point out. The £96 they proposed for these 67's would put them into the 'super detail' bracket IMHO. If they are the old tooling, I centainly wont be touching them. I have one, and wont bother with another until someone does a better job of it.

• RMweb Gold

Are they ? Where ? Hope you posted it on the 'Bargains' thread...

Or do you mean a third OFF ?

ViTrains 47 in Freightlinger Grey for £36. RRP 89.99. I did say ALMOST a third of RRP :lol:.

A lot of them are going for less than half of their RRP. Maybe that would have been a better phrase to use.

• RMweb Gold

I Should of mentioned the current RRP for the Wrexham and Shropshire Train pack, including a Class 67, is £143.25! Considering the RRP of a DVT is £49.99. Thats nearly £100 for a Class 67!

i picked one up the other day from footplate in kidderminster for £99 which is a very good price, round this way (cheshire) once wsmr announced they were shutting the Hornby set flew off the shelves

to be honest even if the "new" 67 is just a redo i'll be ordring 67018 and 67012 as i signed 67s today in work and my passing out locos (amongst others) were those pair.....

...and the dvt was the one featured in the Hornby pack

• 2 months later...

Archived