Class 67

Cardiff Bluebird

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Melly,

Where you moving to ?

Weird isn't it - i was trying all the locos before packing them for a house move and the Hornby 60s were the smoothest by far . I don't have any HJ 47s left - got shot of the lot and now have but 4 Bachmann ones.

• 4 weeks later...

With current Hornby pricing, it might be closer to £120 if they were to do it

I'd happily pay £120.00 for a Class 67 to Class 60 standards

I'd buy

1 x Royal

1 x EWS

and then if they did the DBS in Red and EWS Silver I'd probably buy these also

Obviously not all at the same time due to budget but certainly worth £500 of my money ! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe im being picky but the current 67 is only a 2001 tooling and having a royal version, find it very good. Surely there are other models desperate for an upgrade which Hornby could have spent their money on.......??

Other posts have said Hornby have lost their way in diesel traction and i think now that they maybe right.

What would you suggest? Classes 08, 56 and 60 are considered amongst the best out there, most other diesel classes are taken by other manufacturers and Hornby's offerings are part of the railroad range. Yes there is one or two others that could be equally visited (classes 59 and 73) but a quick flick through shows there's not much left. After Heljan's troubles with the class 86 Hornby will want to see how well Bachmanns 85 does before they make any serious moves into AC loco's....

Maybe im being picky but the current 67 is only a 2001 tooling and having a royal version, find it very good. Surely there are other models desperate for an upgrade which Hornby could have spent their money on.......??

Other posts have said Hornby have lost their way in diesel traction and i think now that they maybe right.

A new Class 90 :rolleyes:

What would you suggest? Classes 08, 56 and 60 are considered amongst the best out there, most other diesel classes are taken by other manufacturers and Hornby's offerings are part of the railroad range. Yes there is one or two others that could be equally visited (classes 59 and 73) but a quick flick through shows there's not much left. After Heljan's troubles with the class 86 Hornby will want to see how well Bachmanns 85 does before they make any serious moves into AC loco's....

It is a pity that Heljan didn't get the Class 86 right.

I have it on good authority that the all new Hornby 67 will be out in 2012 - held back due to the backlog of stuff they haven't managed to release as yet from 10/11.

I love this type of post -whose good authority? I have it on good authority that Hornby will be producing scale mice because my cat saw simon K measuring one up!

I don't disbelieve you but it's hard to assess good authority when you don't say whose good authority it is!!

cheers

mark

I love this type of post -whose good authority? I have it on good authority that Hornby will be producing scale mice because my cat saw simon K measuring one up!

I don't disbelieve you but it's hard to assess good authority when you don't say whose good authority it is!!

cheers

mark

I could not agree more with you. Could you reference to us your source please?

I am surprised, it would be new toolings. As said above the tooling only dates back ten years. Plus as i brought to the attention of the forum over Christmas 2010 a sighting of a pre-order Class 67 for £92 with eHattons (DBS, WSMR and EWS), this price, when compared to say a re-tooled, smaller Class 31 model at £104, leads me very quickly to start doubting this delayed release in a Hornby Class 67 would be a new tooling. I would imagine it would be more likely to have perhaps directional lighting etc, though honestly, it might just be some different liveries and running numbers. As £92 ex pre-order price doesnt fit into the Hornby range where other models have been re-tooled.

I am very specitical about this. Perhaps i am being too academic.

I have it on good authority that the all new Hornby 67 will be out in 2012 - held back due to the backlog of stuff they haven't managed to release as yet from 10/11.

Thanks for the post, i sincerely hope so. I have a soft spot for the skips so would quite likely build up quite a fleet!

• RMweb Gold

I could not agree more with you. Could you reference to us your source please?

I am surprised, it would be new toolings. As said above the tooling only dates back ten years. Plus as i brought to the attention of the forum over Christmas 2010 a sighting of a pre-order Class 67 for £92 with eHattons (DBS, WSMR and EWS), this price, when compared to say a re-tooled, smaller Class 31 model at £104, leads me very quickly to start doubting this delayed release in a Hornby Class 67 would be a new tooling. I would imagine it would be more likely to have perhaps directional lighting etc, though honestly, it might just be some different liveries and running numbers. As £92 ex pre-order price doesnt fit into the Hornby range where other models have been re-tooled.

I am very specitical about this. Perhaps i am being too academic.

Although only ten years old the ex-lima model is pretty average, with printed on details and a fairly poor underframe to say the least. I don't think it would be out of the question to re-tool what is a modern prototype with a fair amount of livery variation and makes for an alternative on present day layouts to 66's. If they were to charge £92 for the existing model it would be taking the wee wee IMHO.

Personally I would love to see an all new Hornby Class 67 to the Class 08/31/50 & 60 standards, yes the current one is fairly new as models go but even this lacks the most basic requirements of true modern models like full lighting (the current one lack tail lights).

The prices they are going for on Ebay would signal that there is a market for them for sure.

It would seem to me that there are plenty of numbers, colours etc to model and justify a new model fingures crossed for 2012 !

Great Western

• RMweb Premium

The Limby 67 definitely needs binning and an all new model put in its place. The Lima 67 was disappointing rubbish that needed a retool when it was introduced, never mind ten years later!!

It would also be a good equivilent model for Hornby in their range against the 66 that is now firmly established in the Bachmann line up, demote the Limby 66 to the Railroad range where it belongs and let an all new 67 take the front line.

. After Heljan's troubles with the class 86 Hornby will want to see how well Bachmanns 85 does before they make any serious moves into AC loco's....

Any sales troubles with Heljan's 86 I would suggest were self inflicted and no indication of any lack of demand for a decent Class 86. Selecting to model only a late refurbished version, then making a bit of a pig's ear of the moulding (inexcusable given the real things are still knocking about) means that anyone modelling anything before Sectorisation would end up having to carve up a £100+ model. Not everyone is happy to do that particularly as some of the cures needed to rectify some of the deficiencies in the 86 are seriously invasive. I think Hornby have a pretty good idea of the potential for AC modelling, and will aware that the Heljan model was not well recieved. In any case, Heljan's "tubby Duff" didn't stop ViTrains or Bachmann from realising that the Danes had laid an egg, so why should their equally eggy-flavoured 86 prevent Hornby from retooling their 86 if they think the market is about to blossom with Bachmann's 85 due soon?

If anything, Hornby could steal a march on Heljan and see them off with a decent 86 that can be produced in 86/0 and 86/2 versions, similar to the way they tooled up for the pre and post refurbishment 4-VEP. Launched about the same time as the Bachmann 85, it could be just what is needed to give AC modelling a boost in the same way as Bachy's 4-CEP, followed by Hornby's 4-VEP has given Southern Electric modelling a fillip. With Dapol's OHLE as well, it's a fair bet the market will increase and justify some investment.

If a new 67 is coming, I think it's a shrewd move as the real locos are becoming quite widely used, have a number of attractive liveries and work a range of services - and will probably be around for some years yet. Commercially it must be a no-brainer, especially if the current loco is then "Railroaded".

I too have heard this that a first quarter 2012 is on the cards. It should be a winner.

Any sales troubles with Heljan's 86 I would suggest were self inflicted and no indication of any lack of demand for a decent Class 86. Selecting to model only a late refurbished version, then making a bit of a pig's ear of the moulding (inexcusable given the real things are still knocking about) means that anyone modelling anything before Sectorisation would end up having to carve up a £100+ model. Not everyone is happy to do that particularly as some of the cures needed to rectify some of the deficiencies in the 86 are seriously invasive. I think Hornby have a pretty good idea of the potential for AC modelling, and will aware that the Heljan model was not well recieved. In any case, Heljan's "tubby Duff" didn't stop ViTrains or Bachmann from realising that the Danes had laid an egg, so why should their equally eggy-flavoured 86 prevent Hornby from retooling their 86 if they think the market is about to blossom with Bachmann's 85 due soon?

I keep reading comments about this massive demand for a decent Class 86 yet both the Heljan and the Dapol models have sold poorly. I know that in the case of the Heljan this was probably largely down to the quality of the model, but the Dapol model seemed to be well received, yet they haven't sold many of them either. Are you sure that this so-called demand for Class 86 models isn't just a case of "me and my mate want them" which seems quite prevalent in a lot of modellers.

Perhaps a valid point, but I'm not sure the comparison itself is valid. The comments above were related to demand for a OO 86, so sales figures of an N 86 aren't, I would argue, necessarily all that comparible. Hornby seem to think there is enough demand to rehash their old body into a new livery, so who knows what their plans are.

Either way, a brand new 67 would be most welcome.

We will see if I am right or wrong. It came from a prominent retailer! Just thought I'd share it because I thought people might be interested. Time will tell if it is correct or not!

You must be refering to eHattons? I raised this to the forum on Boxing Day in the Hornby Annoucements 2011 page. I have just re looked at the links. eHattons have updated the information to "Postponed". £96 for DDC Ready and £110 for DDC onboard i believe.

R3038 Wrexham and Shropshire Class 67 "A Shropshire Lad" http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=35860

R3039 DBS Class 67 "Keith Heller" http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=35862

R3040 EWS Class 67 http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=35864

I did at the time quizz eHattons and Hornby about this. Hornby has never replied, but eHattons gave me this statement: "We have been advertising this product from Hornby as the company was told it was due for release this year. However, following the release of the Hornby 2011 line-up, this does not appear to be the case. Please note that we are aware of this discrepancy and are currently awaiting clarification from Hornby regarding this product before we are able to resolve the situation. I hope this helps."

Seems Hornby updated eHattons that it is postponed, not cancelled now?

I still stand by i just dont think these are re-tooling. I would expect them to be way beyond £96....more into 110-115. At least lets hope we get directional lighting!

I am certainly pre-ordering A Shropshire Lad this Boxing Day!

Archived