oil terminals no more...

• RMweb Gold

Worse, if anything! By the time I retired, people around me seemed to regard me as some sort of sage, just because I had been there, done that. The reality, in my own view, was that I was always a fairly lightweight operator, by then long-lapsed & out of touch. The railway now is full of hard-working and keen people, but old truths are often having to be re-learnt, which is in no way their fault. For "selling carpets" insert "Tie Rack". A thoroughly decent man, in a key role, but fresh to the industry.

Don't worry Ian - judging by what I occasionally come across it's even worse now (and at levels in the industry where it ought not to be).

Guest Phil

The railway now is full of hard-working and keen people, but old truths are often having to be re-learnt, which is in no way their fault. For "selling carpets" insert "Tie Rack". A thoroughly decent man, in a key role, but fresh to the industry.

You are quite right Ian. But all that eager beavering might not be construed as "for the greater good" !!!

Much of what goes on tends to be in lightproof, soundproof boxes, duplicated many times, just so that each company can accept this and decline that.

There is very little joined up action going on, but massive amounts of trying to reinvent the wheel.

I noticed the other day on the WNXX forum that a company is sending lube oil samples of diesel locos away to be analysed. Now where have I seen that before !!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the off topic drift

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread, had a trawl of memory and various notes of Western Region oil terminals

Slough Heat and Power - last train winter 2000, track lifted about two years ago

Langley either early feb 2001 or 2000

Col brook already mentioned.

Thame near Princes Risbrough - I think finished early nineties

Swindon Jack Dean

Oils - track in private compound still in situ but disconnected from Network, still in use unto end of Speedlink network (1991)

Melksham Jack Dean Oils - traffic certainly finished by the time Melksham station reopened, 1985

Bridgwater - British cellophane oil received 1988 to 1994

Flax Bourton connection removed early part of 21st century - track inside terminal gates and rail served loco shed still in place!

Tiverton Jn, terminal out of use by 1985 but still in situ, removed by the time Exeter resigns ling occurred 1986

Frome bitumen terminal last train November 1993.

Exeter city basin out of use by early nineties

Heathfield oil terminal - last train Jan 1996

Westerliegh still in use opened 1990

Plymouth cattewater in use until May 2010

Lauira and Penzance train care depots still receive loco fuel by rail

• RMweb Premium

Not mentioned I think:-

Earlswood, sidings still there but overgrown, terminal was(is) below the embankment between the Brighton and Reigate lines.

and

Selsdon near Croydon.

Mentioned briefly before Carlisle Pettril Bridge ESSO, the bulk of the terminal now has B&Q on top of it. But the signals in & out still exist, mainly due to cost of re-signalling to remove them!

Dalston, just a couple of miles out of Carlisle still receives a daily consist from Grangemouth with 3 shunt moves from Carlisle Yard to Dalston. Due to the very short terminal reception line!

Interesting thread, had a trawl of memory and various notes of Western Region oil terminals

Flax Bourton connection removed early part of 21st century - track inside terminal gates and rail served loco shed still in place!

post-9472-0-19806000-1310557953_thumb.jpg

The entrance to the former Flax Bourton depot - taken in an idle moment while waiting for a Tornado to pass.

Eric

• Like 3

Just thought of a few more. Former Earley

Power station, near Sonning Cutting Reading pipes and some track hidden in the undergrowth.

Also in the same area, North Camp which definitely still taking trains in 1985, there was a loop line around what is the up platform. I remember seeing TTA tank wagons in the small terminal. Did cot and Aberthaw power stations still take oil traffic, when required.

When I worked on the railway in the 90s in South Wales I remember there was an oil term in Llanwern steel works, bogie TEA tank wagons were used.

Devonbelle

I've not been along the Norwich - Ely line since about 2000 - 2001, but back then the Heatherset terminal tracks were definately still in place and connected to the main line, although very unused. I don't know much about the site or what it was for though.

If in-use oil terminals are allowed, then I pass the North Walsham terminal each day on my way to work. The tankers are always the same (100t?) each day but there's been a good selection of different coloured GBF sheds recently. I'm not good with wagon codes, but i do remember seeing 37s with fixed 4 wheel tankers rather than bogie tankers on the run when i was younger (80s or 90s) and a very hazy memory of seeing a Mainline blue 58 once, but not 100% on that.

Guest eddie reffin

As mentioned further up the thread, there was indeed 2 terminals in Oban. The one on the peir was run by BP oils to service mainly the fishing fleet. It still functions today but isn't rail served. The same is true of the one situated in the old loco shed- the tanks are sited in the well of the turntable. It was originally run by Wilsons Fuels who had the Esso franchise for the West Coast of Scotland (they also ran the Bowling facility). Shell ran the small terminal at Connel (Ferry) which is no operated by Gleaner Fuels. It is still connected to the loop but unused for years now.

Also the Luechars fuel is(was) unloaded at Linkswood. The future of the base is in serious doubt however

HTH

Eddie

Portfield at Chichester, supposedly the north end of PLUTO (Pipe Line Under The Ocean) was in use until the early 1990's but seems to have been abandoned since one of their last trains suffered a derailed TTA tank towards the rear that caught fire between Barnham and Chichester one morning.

The points into the Portfield site were disconnected during a weekend engineering possession sometime last year which also the Bartholomews siding on the opposite side of the line cut as well.

IIRC this also handled petrol for Tangmere; all the storage tanks are buried (as opposed to being underground). Interestingly there were reports in the local paper recently that the site is up for redevelopment. The location from Google maps is 50.831343,-0.753149.

Simon.

Edited by Follower

• 4 months later...

there is/was a small oil recieving terminal at peterborough, amazingly all the sidings are still there and they run up to some buffer stops behind the powerbox, however you cannot see the sidings as they are hidden by a lot of butterfly bushes. there is a picture in the rail centres peterborough book. delioverys were made with 100t tanks and it was a two road affair.

I know the terminal you mean, and I don't think that I ever saw a train use it.

There was also a siding for the Co-op Coal yard, and the building behind it is/was the Co-op Anglia bakery, and dairy. And turning to your left was Crescent wagon works, which was given away with a couple of issues of Model-Rail, and the demo model is being ran by a DEMU member. The last user of Crescent was Balfour Beatty, testing a "Road-Rail" Bulldozer and an Unimog.

• RMweb Premium

I know the terminal you mean, and I don't think that I ever saw a train use it.

There was also a siding for the Co-op Coal yard, and the building behind it is/was the Co-op Anglia bakery, and dairy. And turning to your left was Crescent wagon works, which was given away with a couple of issues of Model-Rail, and the demo model is being ran by a DEMU member. The last user of Crescent was Balfour Beatty, testing a "Road-Rail" Bulldozer and an Unimog.

The area between the wagon works and the main line is being redeveloped, the weighbridge hut has been demolished, still had the scales in there! The office building has gone as well.

• RMweb Premium

Not mentioned I think:-

Earlswood, sidings still there but overgrown, terminal was(is) below the embankment between the Brighton and Reigate lines.

But disconnected from the network a couple of years ago when Earlswood north end ladder was renewed. Trains stoped running back in the late 80s acording to a collegue

It was still in use into the 1980s. I commuted to and from Earley Station from 1981-83 and the terminal saw regular traffic hauled by 37s.

Geoff Endacott

Have talked about it a few times with my mate Tony while lineside, he said the train from early was a pain to see as it tended to leave Earley early :sarcastichand: . He has got a shot of it still in use in May '85:

http://www.railpixtc...36_PFWqvJf-O-LB

Another from '84, not of the terminal but of a train from it:

http://www.railpixtc...22_mQcSLzn-O-LB

(one of my favourite shots)

I believe it was a Shell terminal, and the trains for Earley were loaded at Ripple Lane.

Does anyone know the trackplan of Earley terminal?

Edited by IainB

The yard at Stansted Mountfitchet used to have aviation fuel delivered for the pre expansion Stansted Airport, trains of 100ton bogie tankers with 37s at the head is what I rememberer from my time there 84-86. As I remember it the facilities were rudimentary, the rail tankers seemed to be unloading directly into road tankers, but that might be my mind playing tricks. By the looks of this it is all a car park now.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stansted&hl=en&ll=51.902117,0.20359&spn=0.002942,0.008256&sll=55.966913,-3.33995&sspn=0.683277,2.113495&vpsrc=6&hq=stansted&t=h&z=18

Presumably it all comes by pipeline these days.

Angus

there is/was a small oil recieving terminal at peterborough, amazingly all the sidings are still there and they run up to some buffer stops behind the powerbox, however you cannot see the sidings as they are hidden by a lot of butterfly bushes. there is a picture in the rail centres peterborough book. delioverys were made with 100t tanks and it was a two road affair.

as you enter the depot from Midland road it is on your right.

if you look through the fence from the car park you can still see rail and pipes, but don't think you'd get a train down there in a hurry.

funny thing is that the tanks nearby have recently been repainted so must still be in use?

Thee is a photo in John Glover book "London's Railway Today" (1981) which shows an oil depot at Southall next to the relief lines and opposite the then DMU depot. I thank I never noticed it when passing through Southall as I was always looking at the DMU depot!

XF

BP- Still present in my 1980 'Baker'.

Edited by Fat Controller