oil terminals no more...

The Langley Berks Oil Depot fire in the 1970's was quite spectacular, however here is a video of another accident where one of a pair of Class 37 overran the siding and went down the bank.

Spot the single car class 121 and the Royal Mail Train passing in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGEZ0O1oRGI

XF

Edited by Xerces Fobe2
  • Like 2

Saltend is a chemical plant which dispatched acetic acid by Rail i know there were flows to Spondon, Mostyn and Baglan Bay. There may have been others.

As James said the traffic now goes by Pipe Line.

Also There was a large plant at Barton on Humber till the mid 90's - Albright & Wilson?

Paul

Saltend dispatched various types of fuel and oils for Shell Mex up to the early 70s, after which the predominant flow was for BP Chemicals.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

The Langley Berks Oil Depot fire in the 1970's was quite spectacular, however here is a video of another accident where one of a pair of Class 37 overran the siding and went down the bank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGEZ0O1oRGI

XF

XF

Thanks for the link, XF. That brought back memories of when I used to 'play' with Healey Mills's 75t breakdown crane. Real sods to work on, but wonderfully versatile.

Edited by 96701

By pure co-incidence, this morning I was travelling past the former site of the Langley Oil Depot on a Paddington bound Turbo on the up main when to total surprise I saw a 5 car Turbo entering the former oil depot loop (where the Class 37 was filmed) from the London direction.

This loop has been retained and is used to recess freight s to allow passenger trains to pass, however I have never seen passenger stock in this loop before. I can only hazard a guess that it was a train with either problem and this was the easiest way to stop it causing a delay or it was an ECS working and it was going to return in the London direction in place of another service which might have had problems.

XF

• 1 year later...

is everybody forgeting the oil terminal at Glazebrook which was open untill early ninties served from port clarence  thames haven and i believe cardiff tidal at one point .

conection and signal still there last time i passed even though the sidings had been cut back to the footbridge .the terminal is now under the A57 Cadishead bypass the only sign of the railway there is the fireless steam loco from irlam gas works standing at the side of the road .

dont know if this counts but  hasnt the cement terminal at weast been converted to an oil terminal ? 

• RMweb Premium

is everybody forgeting the oil terminal at Glazebrook which was open untill early ninties served from port clarence  thames haven and i believe cardiff tidal at one point .

conection and signal still there last time i passed even though the sidings had been cut back to the footbridge .the terminal is now under the A57 Cadishead bypass the only sign of the railway there is the fireless steam loco from irlam gas works standing at the side of the road .

dont know if this counts but  hasnt the cement terminal at weast been converted to an oil terminal ? 

Don't you mean that the oil terminal at Weaste was converted to a cement terminal?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=eccles&hl=en&ll=53.478073,-2.31383&spn=0.00273,0.006968&hnear=Eccles,+United+Kingdom&t=f&z=18&ecpose=53.47575261,-2.31382956,181.99,-0.012,57.919,0

Glazebrook was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

Cheers,

Mick

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few I can think of (and sorry if already mentioned) are:-

Shell:-

Scarborough - closed 1992

Harrogate - closed 1989 

York (Foss Islands) - Closed 1988

For these a train run from Stanlow to York, then split for Scarborough / Harrogate. Traction was mainly Class 31 / 37s using TTAs.

Malton - closed 1970s? Esso

Bedale - closed 1970s? Esso - Site been cleared for use by the Wensleydale Railway as a P-Way yard I think.

Edited by richierich

I don't know if this would qualify as an 'oil terminal', but there were a couple of sidings along the pier at Gourock to hold tank wagons with fuel for the Clyde steamers. Here's a picture of a Stanier 5 shunting tanks there - http://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7398255320/in/set-72157630154802550/lightbox/ . There's a "Maid" to the right of the engine, and you can see another boat (An 'ABC' ferry, I think) between the two lines of tanks.

Sidings, steamers, engine and the berth the 'Maid' is tied up at are all long gone.

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

is that Cambridge Batch GSMR???

Sorry to have missed this when it was originally posted.

I don't know the abbreviation GSMR, but the sidings could well have been known as Cambridge Batch - even though Cambridge Batch is actually north east of Flax Bourton station, whereas the sidings are south west! I have also seen them referred to Tyntesfield sidings - Tyntesfield (the NT property) is at least on the right side of FB station.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric

Sorry to have missed this when it was originally posted.

I don't know the abbreviation GSMR, but the sidings could well have been known as Cambridge Batch - even though Cambridge Batch is actually north east of Flax Bourton station, whereas the sidings are south west! I have also seen them referred to Tyntesfield sidings - Tyntesfield (the NT property) is at least on the right side of FB station.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric

GSMR is the 2G radio phone system that the cabin and mast support.

Sad I can tell which cell it is, must get out more :)

Staines on the branch line from West Drayton - now terminates at Colnbrook - I have a picture of the final train departing the terminal.

No, two different depots. Staines West opened in 1965 was central heating fuel from Thameshaven (Shell) via West Drayton with Ripple Lane locos usually changed at Acton for a Class 22 or a Hymek. Later Ripple Lane locos worked through to Staines including on one occasion, a Class 40. At least one recorded instance of a Warship and one of a Western. In 1981 the branch was severed for M25 construction and the oil trains ran in via Staines SR and a new connection to the Windsor line. This lasted for just over 10 years before the lease ran out and the depot closed. The site is now housing.

Colnbrook is, as I understand it, an access to the Heathrow fuel pipeline, put in as an emergency measure after the Langley fire. It is served (occasionally) by Murco bogie tanks from Milford Haven. 

CHRIS LEIGH

In my area (West Yorks) there were several that I know of,

4. There is a disused one where the line to Halifax diverges from the L&Y calder valley main line at Elland. As far as I know the equipment is still there and may be visible on Google earth.##

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

No.4 is certainly there on Google, including the tracks within the perimeter fence (and remnants of the now-severed link to the mason line.

(Sorry, can't paste the image via my phone but here's the street view location.

Dropped Pin

near Stainland Rd, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX4 8LR, UK

http://goo.gl/maps/qnrUS

Cheers,

Steve O.

many thanks for all your replies for a topic that had a good run

An initial list of oil depots as reported by RM web members below, i hope with time to include closure dates and sample workings and basic layout..may take some time! Again many thanks for your replies and apologies if i missed some!

NR www.leightonlogs.org

Oil Depots no more……

Aberystwyth

Albion (nr Sandwell n Dudley)

Ardrossan Harbour

Avonmouth (refinery)

Aylesbury

Ayr Harbour

Banbury

Beckingham (nr Newark) (British Pipeline Agency-BPA)

Bedale

Bedworth (still in use)

Bexhill, Galley Hill Sdgs

Blantyre (Bitumen)

Bowling

Bradwell/Longport

Bridgewater British Cellophane

Bromford Bridge

Bromsgrove

Bunchrew (nr Inverness)

Burn Naze

Cambridge(Barnwell)

Cambridge (Brooklands Avenue)

Cambridge (Coldham Lane)

Canterbury West

Cardiff Alexandra Dock

Cardiff (Ferry Rd, Cogan)

Carlisle Petteril Bridge

Chatteris

Coleshill

Colnbrook - still in use

Colwyn Bay Yard

Colwick

Connel Ferry

Coryton (refinery)

Croxley Mill

Culloden (bitumen)

Dalston (nr Carlisle)

Derby

Dover Bulwark sdg

Dundee Harbour

Dunstable

Earley

Earlswood

East Cranmore (bitumen)

Ecclesfield West (Sheffield)

Elswick, Tyneside (bitumen)

Ellesmere Port (refinery)

Exeter City Basin

Fawley (refinery)

Flax Bourton (nr Weston S.Mare)

Fort William still in use

Frome (bitumen)

Furzebrook (loading terminal)

Gainsborough Lea Rd (loading terminal)

Glan Conwy (Llandudno Jn)

Glazebrook

Goostrey

Grain (refinery)

Grangemouth (refinery) still in use

Granton (Edinburgh)

Grays (refinery)

Greetland (Halifax)

Harrogate

Hartlebury

Haverfordwest

Hawkesbury Lane (Coventry)

Hawkshead (Paisley)

Haydock (Wigan)

Hayle Wharf

Heathfield

Herbrandston (refinary)

Hethersett (Norwich-Ely line)

Hexham

High Brooms

Horsham

Hunslett East

Islip

Jarrow

Kelmarsh

Kilmarnock, Riccarton term - still in use

Killingholme Admiralty wharf (refinery)

Lairg - still in use

Langley

Langley Green

Leith Docks

Leuchars

Littlemore

Liversedge (Mirfield)

Llandarcy

Longbridge

Long Eaton

Machynlleth

Mallaig

Malton

Melksham

Micheldever

Misterton

Mollington (Birkinhead)

Nechells gasworks

Newbury

New Hythe

North Camp

Northampton

North Walsham

Nuneaton

Old Kilpatrick

Ore

Padworth (Aldermarston)

Pan Ocean (Birkenhead)

Parkeston Quay

Partington

Penmere

Peterborough

Perth

Plymouth Cattlewater

Portfield (Chichester, North end of PLUTO pipeline)

Preston docks (bitumen) still in use

Prestwick still in use

Priest Heath

Pumpherston (Midcalder)

Purfleet (refinery)

Purton (Wilts)

Reading Central

Robeston (refinery) still in use

Rowley Regis

Royston

Safron Walden

Salfords (Gatwick)

Saltend (BP chems only in later years)

Sandy Heath (BPA d-day to France)

Sea Mills (Avonmouth branch)

Selsdon (nr Sandersted)

Shirehampton

Sinfin (Rolls Royce) still in use

St Helens, Cowley Hill

Scarborough

Shrewsbury Abbey

Shrewsbury Coton Hill

Skipton (Bitumen)

Slough Industrial Estate Sdgns

Soho Pool

Southall

Staines West

Stanlow (refinery)

Stansted Mountfitchet

Swanpool (Falmouth)

Swindon

Teesport (refinery)

Thame

Thameshaven (refinery)

Theale

Tile Hill -Torrington Avenue

Tipton -Lurgi Gas works

Tiverton Jn

Uttoxeter

Ulverston

Warsop (Shirebrook)

Warwick - Old Cape Yd

Watton (E.Yorks)

Watton-at-Stone

Wellinborough

Welton (Lincoln-Market Rasen)

Westerleigh still in use

Whittington (Gobowen)

Witton

Wolverhampton Stow Heath

York Foss Island

Loco depots/refuelling points

A small rake of 45t tanks were a familiar site at many depots/stabling points in the 70’s, Kings Cross loco sidings being a familiar one. Laira was still rail served until late 2013, Gourock, Oban, Weymouth Q and  Mallaig had facilities for the ferrys to fuel

Power Stations

Oil trains used on occasions for big loads to start boilers, eg Didcot, Rugeley

Industrial plants

Many steel works and large units also had regular oil traffic in addition to a variety of traffic these plants dealt with

any more???

Edited by South of 1E

I like the list South of 1E did - well done. 

On the list it has a site Id quite forgotten and that was Bridgwater British Cellophane - it was very short lived flow of rail traffic March 1988 to March 1994 - there must have been considerable expense incurred, because pukka discharge pipes were installed on the internal works railway parallel with the Bristol Taunton mainline - oil trains were formed of either TTA tank wagons or bogie tank wagons.

The rail borne traffic replaced coastal shipping which used to come to Dunball Wharf, a few miles away from Bridgwater and then by pipeline. My father (who also worked on the railways) had a colleague in BR Petroleum business who had done the deal; to secure the traffic. The traffic was the last rail freight flow to the British Cellophane Works at Bridgwater - the caustic soda in tank wagons ceased in July 1991. As a keen young railwayman I went and phoned the first train - which was 150 minutes late! Class 47s and 37s used to work the traffic. 

Would have been a good modelling subject, with the sites class 03 shunter used to shunter oil and caustic soda traffic. A few of my pix I took in the 1988 when the first oil train ran (from Thameshaven are included). Regards P

• Like 3