oil terminals no more...

Sorry - late replying to this one. Just found it on rmweb after googling Mobil storage depot Tile Hill.

I lived across the other side of the tracks in Canley and I can remember class 40's going in to pick up the tanks, (I saw somwhere else that type 2's were used but I definitely saw type 4's). With the early advent of electrification on the WCML type 4's were probably spare to use.

The tank wagons were a greyish silvery colour and not the bright red as depicted by Hornby. I would love to model these in the future with a class 40 in its proper colour - green. I found the appropriate Mobil symbols and would print it on to transfer paper.

What I can't remember is if they had a brake van or would it have been fully fitted in the early/mid 60's?

The road tankers were bright red though.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the photo of Obans 'other' oil depot.

No probs John, here is one you might like, most likely it was heading for the Esso plant @ Ayr Harbour where i spent many happy years, hard graft , we got a train of 16 railcars every wednesday and had to turn them around that day, it was all the prep to start with , gettin the lids open, water testing ,ullage check, and temperature taken.it is leaving Esso Bowling coming through Old Kilpatrick.

8045.jpg

Edited by bigdonyboyp
  • Like 4

When with Railfreight Distribution in 1997 I visited Morris Cowley.  After the visit I dropped in on Littlemore.  A single siding with a small ground frame.  There was no run round so trains reversed in, then travelled to Morris Cowley to run round.

post-2484-0-26308200-1396950267_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-41687400-1396950285_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-52285400-1396950301_thumb.jpg

Two images taken whilst on the way to Mallaig in the late 1990s.  Any idea of which station?

attachicon.gifCNV00098.JPG

It may be Fort-William, only place that i Know that would have a depot that size in that area ( Scottish oils - BP distriburors.) but i stand to be corrected.

That's not Fort William, the station is two small, and looks like it is a through line.

My first thought was an MOD oil terminal, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Does any one know what Crianlarich, or Upper Tyndrum stations are like?

Ullage check is dipping the railcar, to make sure no ---- has been tampering with it lol. Although they were sealed with wire and lead seal it was no prob to put it back together again, to be honest you were in such a hurry i never really bothered to much about them unless customs were lurking about.

Thanks for the info. Were all tankers sealed this way after loading?

In the early 1980's there was a freight from Tonbridge, I think it was 07h48.  It was a Y path via Canterbury West or Folkestone to Ramsgate. 

When I was learning the road I went with the train via Folkestone East and I'm sure we detached some 100 tonners.  Conveying heavy oil fuel for the Cross Channel Ferries.  Any ideas where it was unloaded.

Thanks for the info. Were all tankers sealed this way after loading?

John, With the depot @ Ayr Harbour where i  worked, it was a classed as a bonded warehouse, there were seals everywhere except in the loos, about the 2 nd week i was there customs came in early one morning, i was checking on the loading bays where i had 4 tankers all trying to get loaded and he noticed a seal broken at a valve under the gantries, he went ballistic and @ 9 o clock when the manager came in i was reported, 30 minutes later the gaffer , who was not a bad guy lectured me about how important it was to check all the seals before loading were intact( easy said when you got the drivers screaming @ you all wanting on their way) but added that he told him that the wire they used should be far stronger or words to that effect than what they were using, it ended there , think he was on my side lol.

As for road tankers, in my days their meters were checked , not sure if it was 1 or 2 times a year and were sealed in the same way by trading standards, using the same flimsy wire, also if a seal got broken in any way they had to come and recalibrate the tanker and put new seals on.

Bonded meant all the product in the storage tanks was duty free, it was duty paid on it once it came through the meters and onto the tankers. 

Edited by bigdonyboyp

Bishopbriggs was served from Grangemouth, the outward trains ran via Cumbernauld and propelled into the sidings from Cadder Up Loop, while the return trains ran direct via Croy, thus avoiding any need to run round. IIRC the motive power was pairs of 37s.

• Like 1

Bishopbriggs was served from Grangemouth, the outward trains ran via Cumbernauld and propelled into the sidings from Cadder Up Loop, while the return trains ran direct via Croy, thus avoiding any need to run round. IIRC the motive power was pairs of 37s.

Bishopbriggs depot

ATTACHMENTS file.php?id=59306&t=1

Edited by bigdonyboyp

• 2 months later...

With the Murco refinery at Robeston up for sale, and its future in jeopardy - interest heightens in the only regular oil train out of South Wales the Cl.60 powered Robeston - Westerleigh / Theale.

Hard to believe how many paths were catered for during 1971/72, but this is what the WTT contained back then:-

6M33 1715 Coy Hebrandston-Shrewsbury

6M34 2325 MX Coy Tidal Sidings-Soho Pool

6M37 2100 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M38 0600 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M39 1840 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M40 0335 MX Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis, Witton, Wednesbury or Spring Vale

6M41 1140 Coy Llandarcy-Rowley Regis

6M49 0955 Coy Waterston-Albion

6M50 1510 Coy Waterston-Albion

6M51 0500 Coy Waterston-Kingsbury

6M52 2025 Coy MX Waterston-Albion

6M53 0048 MX Coy Waterston-Albion

IIRC Llandarcy was 'BP', Waterston was 'Gulf' as was the traffic from Cardiff Tidal. Not so sure about Hebrandston - Salop (Shrewsbury Abbey ?)

Brian R

With the Murco refinery at Robeston up for sale, and its future in jeopardy - interest heightens in the only regular oil train out of South Wales the Cl.60 powered Robeston - Westerleigh / Theale.

Hard to believe how many paths were catered for during 1971/72, but this is what the WTT contained back then:-

IIRC Llandarcy was 'BP', Waterston was 'Gulf' as was the traffic from Cardiff Tidal. Not so sure about Hebrandston - Salop (Shrewsbury Abbey ?)

Brian R

Brian

This was during the period when my Dad was in BRB HQ "selling" the movement of oil on rail. When I went to Cardiff in 1970 he commented that Cardiff central was a bottleneck, constricting the development of the traffic out of Pembroke.

Paul

Brian R

Hebrandston was Esso; Salop was probably Shrewsbury Abbey, which in latter years received its supply from Bromford Bridge by rail. I would have been in 5th form, then Lower 6th, at Llanelli Boys' Grammar, when the timetable above was current. I remember there being a steady stream of oil trains, day and night, with those that were formed of 100t bogie tankers making a distinctive rhythmical banging as they rode along the Up line, which was still laid in 60' lengths.

Hebrandston was Esso; Salop was probably Shrewsbury Abbey, which in latter years received its supply from Bromford Bridge by rail. I would have been in 5th form, then Lower 6th, at Llanelli Boys' Grammar, when the timetable above was current. I remember there being a steady stream of oil trains, day and night, with those that were formed of 100t bogie tankers making a distinctive rhythmical banging as they rode along the Up line, which was still laid in 60' lengths.

At this time the majority of South Wales-West Mids oil trains were worked by pairs of "six-eighters" ( Cl.37s to the youngsters).

Such air-braked modernity as 100 ton tankers didn't pass my school (Cantonian), even vac-fitted 21 tonners were in the minority when compared to the unfitted 'pools' - 21ton hoppers and coke hoppers.

But, there was the infrequent MGR working, hauled by one of Canton's SSF Cl.47s in the low D1900s.

Brian R

At this time the majority of South Wales-West Mids oil trains were worked by pairs of "six-eighters" ( Cl.37s to the youngsters).

Such air-braked modernity as 100 ton tankers didn't pass my school (Cantonian), even vac-fitted 21 tonners were in the minority when compared to the unfitted 'pools' - 21ton hoppers and coke hoppers.

But, there was the infrequent MGR working, hauled by one of Canton's SSF Cl.47s in the low D1900s.

Brian R

I wonder if they changed engines somewhere, as those that I saw were hauled by Brush Type 4s; we used to get quite a lot of Immingham ones working through.

I remember seeing the aftermath of a spectacular derailment at Ferryside (seemingly on the 10th September, 1971), with 45t tankers scattered everywhere.

It's 11th. July, 1973 at what had recently become Cardiff 'Central'

1939 is in Platform 2 on a Swansea - Paddington working

6876 waits for the road on the 'up' relief as 6990 & 6991 draw up behind on an oil train from Waterston bound for the Birmingham area. 

Aaah those warm sunny  'Instamatic' days.

Brian R

post-1599-0-65858100-1403905969_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

post-9506-0-34224400-1403936739_thumb.jpgpost-9506-0-01223600-1403936898_thumb.jpgpost-9506-0-69798200-1403936952_thumb.jpg

These photos of the former Langley Oil Depot site taken a couple if weeks ago from a passing train. The site now has two sidings joined together at the station end to form a loop. As can be seen from the photos the site is home to the Balfour Beattie (on hire) Class 20's with one still displaying a 150 headcode from lat year when it was then pinged in LT red. The Langley Oil Depot site is now being used for work associated with CrossRail and the GWML Electrification.

XF

• Like 2