oil terminals no more...

I wonder if they changed engines somewhere, as those that I saw were hauled by Brush Type 4s; we used to get quite a lot of Immingham ones working through.

I remember seeing the aftermath of a spectacular derailment at Ferryside (seemingly on the 10th September, 1971), with 45t tankers scattered everywhere.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35437-oil-terminals-no-more/ is of 1920 on bogie heavy oil tanks through Cardiff General in June 1970.

Paul

When I lived in Cumbria in the early 2000s there was the long disused remains if a discharge(?) point on a siding next to the loop at Corkickle. Does anyone know what was please?

Having illustrated how numerous these facilities were, thoughts inevitably turn to modelling - how prototypical/accurate is the Ratio kit, and does it represent a particular period...?

Edited by sparks

• RMweb Premium

When I lived in Cumbria in the early 2000s there was the long disused remains if a discharge(?) point on a siding next to the loop at Corkickle. Does anyone know what was please?

Having illustrated how numerous these facilities were, thoughts inevitably turn to modelling - how prototypical/accurate is the Ratio kit, and does it represent a particular period...?

I'm not absolutely sure but it might well have been connected with the Marchon works up on the hill.  They used to be served by a self acting incline bringing hoppers of I think anhydrite, down from the works which were then formed into trains to despatch south.  The incline could only handle 4 wheelers and the traffic went to bogie tankers.  I think these were loaded at the bottom of the incline from road vehicles.  The incline closed in either the late 70's or early 80's.  I do have a set of photos of it in operation somewhere.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• 1 month later...

I agree with Jamie, my Baker Rail Atlas shows a connection to Marchon Chemical works south of Corkickle station, so they are not 'oil' tanks.

I went there once in 1984, (overnight to Carlisle then back along the coast) and have a photo taken from the platform,

in the siding with stopblocks at the south end of the platform is a train of what look like caustic soda tanks, (dark blue with orange solebars and ladders)

In the distance to the south another set of tanks this time white with orange band.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

I agree with Jamie, my Baker Rail Atlas shows a connection to Marchon Chemical works south of Corkickle station, so they are not 'oil' tanks.

I went there once in 1984, (overnight to Carlisle then back along the coast) and have a photo taken from the platform,

in the siding with stopblocks at the south end of the platform is a train of what look like caustic soda tanks, (dark blue with orange solebars and ladders)

In the distance to the south another set of tanks this time white with orange band.

cheers

Many different chemical carrying wagons worked up the incline until 1986 https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=corkickle+incline&num=20&newwindow=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enGB391GB391&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=hJz4U_qZDNLpaPCDgMAP&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=857&dpr=1

Some examples I have

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brprestwin/edc79a78

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatta/e25b31e49

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ukforthophospacid/ee509911

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/tipair/e2c0fc32b

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/albrightwilsonphosphoric/e9612638

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Corkicle incline may have been unique in having another rope hauled railway running underneath it's embankment.  Halfway down there was a brickworks on the north side with it's clay pit on the south side and a narrow gauge tramway for hauling the clay to the works.  this was worked by an overhead rope with iron bars with an S shape at the top inserted at the ends of the wagons and then snagged round the haulage rope.  I will try and dig out my photos of both systems taken the same day.  They aren't brilliant as the weather wasn't great.  I once submitted them to one of the magazines but got a sniffy reply saying they weren't up to scratch.

Jamie

I'm not absolutely sure but it might well have been connected with the Marchon works up on the hill.  They used to be served by a self acting incline bringing hoppers of I think anhydrite, down from the works which were then formed into trains to despatch south.  The incline could only handle 4 wheelers and the traffic went to bogie tankers.  I think these were loaded at the bottom of the incline from road vehicles.  The incline closed in either the late 70's or early 80's.  I do have a set of photos of it in operation somewhere.

Jamie

cheers

Thanks chaps. Obviously really when you think about it!

IIRC, the unloading pipework, and maybe the siding itself, survived the rationalisation in this area when the Corkickle loop (and boxes) were removed.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Just catching up on this interesting Thread.

Does anyone know if there are any photos of the time the the depot nr Swindon (Purton?) was being used by rail (I think that it may have supplied fuel to RAF Lyneham)?

Are there any specific details relating to such (a Google search hasnt yielded much to date - I could be asking the wrong questions though).

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards,

CME

Does anyone know if there are any photos of the time the the depot nr Swindon (Purton?) was being used by rail (I think that it may have supplied fuel to RAF Lyneham)?

CME

I think you mean Bremhill Bridge, not sure it was rail connected, it is part of the Government pipeline and storage system.

Just a small correction on the first post, We worked one of the Thame trains at Hither Green that started from the Grain refinery in Kent.

Ripple lane men did work into Thame, but that would have been with either 37's or 47's

The depot at Grain had a canteen which did rather large discounted breakfasts, which with us booking on at 03.00 was very welcome.

Simon 

I think you mean Bremhill Bridge, not sure it was rail connected, it is part of the Government pipeline and storage system.

Hi Bigherb,

Thanks - it is very close to the railway though, having said such, using Google Maps it looks like it never had any sidings (either that or they have been well hidden since lifting?) - so was always piped?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

It was rail connected, if you look carefully you can see the connection at the far end of the depot:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bremhill+Bridge,+Swindon,+Wiltshire

At the other end there is another bit that suggests that a loop ran through the depot.

Hi Martin,

Thanks - do you know I was scratching my head about that - as the depot is so close to the line and in my 'yuff' I thought I recalled seeing evidence of the rail link.

Glad that you have eagle eyes - thanks again.

Kindest regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Has anyone got any details of the Canterbury West oil depot?

What was received there, type of tanks and frequency?

Many thanks,

Jim

I believe it dealt in heating oil, diesel and possibly petrol; the vehicles used in later years were 45t TTA tanks. I believe the wagons worked as a block working from Ripple Lane to Tonbridge West Yard, where they were split into shorter rakes for Canterbury, High Brooms (Tunbridge Wells) and other destinations in Kent and Sussex. In 1990, the working was a FO one from Ripple Lane to Canterbury, the other terminals being served by direct workings on other days.

Thanks Fat Controller!

That's exactly what I was after...

Jim

No problem, Jim; there's a useful series of books published by Silver Link about freight operations since 1968 which is worth seeking out. The particular volume I looked at for oil traffic is 'Rail Freight since 1968- Bulk Freight', the author being Paul Shannon. 

Hi, just caught up on this interesting thread

Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne (bitumen)

This lasted at least till the mid 80s. - When the Carlisle line via Scotswood closed and trains were diverted via Dunston to Blaydon, a single line was retained as far as Elswick for this depot.

Hexham - listed previously. In the goods yard area, it handled 4w tanks. This was served by a pick-up working from Tyne Yard which also served Haltwhistle with the Killfrost? tanks.

Sunderland, South Dock I don't think's been mentioned. An interesting one, it was brought (back?) into use late 70s / early 80s and was served by a 56 hauled block train of TEAs. The train was split in South Dock yard, the two portions in turn then being propelled down a steep gradient and over a level crossing (internal docks road) into the depot. A specially adapted brake van was provided, attached to the leading end, for this shunt. Closed several years ago now.

Jarrow on Tyneside I don't think's been mentioned either. This was served by a daily block train of TEAs, latterly often 60 hauled. Closed earlier this year.

A minor derailment here once caused major road chaos all over Tyneside, the access spur was on a curved concrete viaduct - with the roundabout serving the South end of the Tyne Tunnel below, which had to be closed!

Edited by kenw

Jarrow on Tyneside I don't think's been mentioned either. This was served by a daily block train of TEAs, latterly often 60 hauled. Closed earlier this year.

I didn't realise Jarrow OT had closed. Aerial phot of it in this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69358-tyneside-electrics/page-10&do=findComment&comment=995372

Very little ever gets mentioned of Shell/BP's Jarrow rival:

Just a few hundred yards away but North of the river, Esso established their rail served Tyneside terminal at Percy Main. It's just out of shot in the pic linked to above, just North of the pylon at the extreme right. I've never managed to put a definitive opening date on the Esso but reckon late Fifties to early Sixties.

Here a pic of the terminal pilot loco in 1971.

11210777873_330f216d6a_b.jpgBP_012_Loco diesel pilot1 06 1971 by George Stephenson, on Flickr

Porcy

• Like 2

Hi, just caught up on this interesting thread

This lasted at least till the mid 80s. - When the Carlisle line via Scotswood closed and trains were diverted via Dunston to Blaydon, a single line was retained as far as Elswick for this depot.

Hexham - listed previously. In the goods yard area, it handled 4w tanks. This was served by a pick-up working from Tyne Yard which also served Haltwhistle with the Killfrost? tanks.

Sunderland, South Dock I don't think's been mentioned. An interesting one, it was brought (back?) into use late 70s / early 80s and was served by a 56 hauled block train of TEAs. The train was split in South Dock yard, the two portions in turn then being propelled down a steep gradient and over a level crossing (internal docks road) into the depot. A specially adapted brake van was provided, attached to the leading end, for this shunt. Closed several years ago now.

A minor derailment here once caused major road chaos all over Tyneside, the access spur was on a curved concrete viaduct - with the roundabout serving the South end of the Tyne Tunnel below, which had to be closed!

There was talk of the connections to Sunderland South Dock being reinstated for unspecified traffic; has anything happened about this?

Whilst having a day out last year around west yorkshire I noticed the oil terminal at Greetland nr Halifax is still pretty much in tact and decided to take another ride past to try and get a photo to put into my prototype info file.

having problems uploading a photo will try later

Edited by tamperman36
  • Like 1