Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What are your pubs like?

• RMweb Premium

This is a rough old joint on the quay at Combwich, and as you can see the locals are rather strange. Apart from stale ale and rancid cider the only food offered is a knuckle sandwich. This one was knocked up from cereal packets and printer paper. Total cost about 3p and a week of evenings in front of the telly making it about 8 years ago.

Another not so good place for a drink, but better than the one above on the quay. They do scampi & chips and chicken in a basket, and you can bowl the night away on pints of tasteless Ushers in the hall on the right. Again mostly made from contents of the recycling bin

The Brewhouse Tavern on the brewery quay. The sign needs to be changed, it looks rather like a modern day gastro-pub. Unlike the others, this is a ready to plonk limited edition Scenecraft/TMC one based on the real Good Beer Guild Birch Hall Inn at Beck Hole.The barge which doesn't take this close up too well is a kit from Artitec.

Wow Chris, your models continue to amaze!

I also like your descriptions: "....knocked up..... in a week of evenings in front of the TV ......." Then there is also "......mostly made from the contents of the rcycling bin...." - You put my moddeling skills to shame!

Oh I also like the idea of the tasteless pint of Ushers, still miles away from the very tasteless Watneys Red I referred to earlier in the thread!

Thanks for sharing your 'photos / models.... loads of inspiration in every shot!

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

My sketch-in-progress is based on The Bartons Arms in Aston, which will be for my N layout:

post-6883-0-52807200-1303715794_thumb.jpg

At the Warley show in '05(?) I was most impressed by The Station Hotel in 7mm scale - etched brass:

post-6883-0-36138700-1303715922_thumb.jpg post-6883-0-19843500-1303715963_thumb.jpg

For the Witton Lane layout, it's based on The Swan and Mitre also in Aston. In the linked photo of the real pub the railway bridge is on the right.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 3

King Street, in Cambridge, was home to an annual student drinking competition (eventually being banned by the college proctors). Despite being a remarkably short street, there were 15 pubs (now down to four I believe). and the object was to complete a visit to each pub in the street and drink a pint in each. The winner was the one who completed it in the shortest time, without throwing up or relieving himself en route!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure I'm in the same league as the rest of you but here's my attempt at making a standard Skaledale item look a little more "used". Bins and kegs by Bachmann. Weathering and detailing all my own. The pub comes out of the box brilliant white with a shiny grey roof. I added the blackboards which were made from scrap. All the weathering and smoke-stain was added with a stipple brush, the roof was repainted a darker shade, the ridge tiles painted vermillion and lichen added. There are birds perched there as well but they don't show up on these images. The aluminium bins and kegs have had thin washes of Floquil "Grimy Black" applied, plus thinned "Rust" on the bins with each one being given different treatment. Backscene still in progress and a little tidying up out the front to do as well.

post-3305-0-75168300-1303782678_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-24729900-1303782740_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-50004500-1303782798_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

PhilJ W - I believe it was Ware in Herts that had a very high proportion of pubs to population one on every corner but then it was home to the oast houses for the local brewery

Indeed it was Ware, because every building in the High Street it seems used to be a coaching inn (it was halfway between London and Cambridge), there used to be a list on the wall in the Old Bulls Head. Actually it was home to the maltings, rather than oast houses, none left operational in the town now although some are still standing as residential or industrial premises and I have some great shots of Victoria Maltings as it burnt down! Stanstead Abbotts still has a maltings though and with the wind in the right direction you can smell it in Ware!!

• RMweb Premium

Indeed it was Ware, because every building in the High Street it seems used to be a coaching inn (it was halfway between London and Cambridge), there used to be a list on the wall in the Old Bulls Head. Actually it was home to the maltings, rather than oast houses, none left operational in the town now although some are still standing as residential or industrial premises and I have some great shots of Victoria Maltings as it burnt down! Stanstead Abbotts still has a maltings though and with the wind in the right direction you can smell it in Ware!!

It was the same situation in Romford, it was the staging point between London and Chelmsford/Colchester. About 40 years ago I was invited to view the cellars of one of the pubs in Romford (The Woolpack), the pub itself was mid Victorian but the cellars were far far older, dating back to the 13th century it had been estimated. The headroom was only about 5 feet and the walls were blocks of chalk!

To quote Blue Peter "here's some I've done earlier" and based on real pubs! (newest models on the top)

post-123-0-03555400-1303847818_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-36884300-1303847852_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-82641000-1303847885_thumb.jpg

An earlier version of this pub

post-123-0-98357100-1303847948_thumb.jpg

An exercise in foamboard and brick paper construction (based on a Pub in York)

post-123-0-47783900-1303848780_thumb.jpg

Finally, a country pub from an old Heljan kit

post-123-0-84922500-1303849024_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-11132400-1303849043_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-33342000-1303849059_thumb.jpg

All the above have been disposed off, one way or another. The next Pub project (and one for MY layout) will be a Gin Palace based on the Blue Last in Shoredittch (see http://deadpubs.co.u...dBlueLast.shtml - now tell me I'm sane....)

F

• Like 3

It was the same situation in Romford, it was the staging point between London and Chelmsford/Colchester. About 40 years ago I was invited to view the cellars of one of the pubs in Romford (The Woolpack), the pub itself was mid Victorian but the cellars were far far older, dating back to the 13th century it had been estimated. The headroom was only about 5 feet and the walls were blocks of chalk!

For anyone interested here is a list of Ware pubs

http://deadpubs.co.uk/HertsPubs/Ware/index.shtml

and it says "Ware once claimed to have the highest number of pubs per head of population in England"

WW

• RMweb Premium
"Ware once claimed to have the highest number of pubs per head of population in England"

It was certainly high but that assertion could be contentious. The Cornish town of Helston is on record as having had "30 Brewing ale-houses for a population of 300 souls". Now an "ale-house" is not necessarily a "pub" since many in that part of the World were "kiddleys" which only sold ale and not wine or spirits; some of them operated outside the law as well. And a true Cornishman will always consider that "England" ends at the River Tamar and does not therefore include Helston B) .

• RMweb Premium

At that time (17th century) not all the alehouses would have been trading at the same time. Many were run by widows or the wives of relatively poor working men. They'd scrape enough cash together for ingredients, make a brew, then open up and sell it. They had to sell the lot before they could afford to start another brew. Meanwhile, the alewife along the street would open up and sell her brew, then another neighbour and so on. An excellent reference for this trade from the Middle Ages onwards is The English Alehouse: A Social History, 1200-1830 by Peter Clark. Going back to my roots, I'd always thought that Bedford had a reputation for the highest proportion of pubs to population, certainly in the mid-20th century, with nearly every Victorian terrace having a pub on one corner and a shop on the other.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

A Couple of Shropshire's finest hostelries (taken on my phone so not the best quality)

The George Hotel

post-35-0-31138000-1304683100_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-44250700-1304683551_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-41322800-1304683442_thumb.jpg

The Ball Makers Arms (Should get that sign fixed)

post-35-0-79034500-1304683007_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-11876200-1304683066_thumb.jpg

The Frog And Nightgown prior to renovation

post-35-0-68721300-1304683082_thumb.jpg

All these Pubs are to be found on Scorbiton our 1980's layout

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

post-13274-0-96697700-1327075078_thumb.jpg[

Built in 1897 and originally called The Jubilee. Re-named The Railway during the 1950s....because I had no suitable lettering! The Railway was much easier, being taken from a post nationalisation BRITISH RAILWAYS tender transfer.

The layout is Holroyd Mills set in ex L+Y territory c1960. Scale TT/3mm.

Edited by 60091

• 8 years later...

With all the pubs in the UK currently closed perhaps it might be an idea to resurrect this thread for some nostalgia about a great British tradition and community social cornerstone - public houses. I'll kick things off with some (unfinished) N/2mm pubs that I'm making for a forthcoming layout. They are all based on real pubs from Tooley Street:

Duke of Clarence (now demolished):

DSC_9140.JPG

Shipwrights Arms (still in existence but modelled from the back as only the back will be able to be seen behind the railway viaduct):

DSC_6106.JPG.a34d00c466282e5b6c7e00c3784f47dd.JPG

Antigallican (just the façade exists with an office block build behind):

1686787163_DSC_9403pubcrop.jpg.a209c7145070c4b8c3a0a5a8528e5f33.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, grahame said:

With all the pubs in the UK currently closed perhaps it might be an idea to resurrect this thread for some nostalgia about a great British tradition and community social cornerstone - public houses. I'll kick things off with some (unfinished) N/2mm pubs that I'm making for a forthcoming layout. They are all based on real pubs from Tooley Street:

Duke of Clarence (now demolished):

DSC_9140.JPG

Shipwrights Arms (still in existence but modelled from the back as only the back will be able to be seen behind the railway viaduct):

DSC_6106.JPG.a34d00c466282e5b6c7e00c3784f47dd.JPG

Antigallican (just the façade exists with an office block build behind):

1686787163_DSC_9403pubcrop.jpg.a209c7145070c4b8c3a0a5a8528e5f33.jpg

I used to work in Tooley St (1984). I have been trying to work out which of your pubs was our lunchtime HQ.

Here's another N/2mm scale pub I'm I the process of building. It'll be the 'St Johns Tavern' (from the 1980s) in Tooley Street. It, and the rest of the block, were converted in to Red Bull Studios and more recently in to the Body Shop head office. It was originally named the 'Antigallican and Star' which, with the pub at the other end of the row being the 'Antigallican', could have been quite confusing. However, Antigallican, a named derived from hostility to the French and Gallican church, was a popular pub name during the Napoleonic wars period. 

I don't recall going in there but being a Watney's pub it would have been very unlikely. The building next to it appears to have been quite derelict at that time but finding information and pictures from the period has been difficult. However getting the ground floor in place, even when unfinished and only temporarily, gives grounding and solidity to the building:

DSC_9413cr.jpg.db1f8570e93ce162e021c7fc4fed954f.jpg

• Like 2