Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What are your pubs like?

Yesterday, on the first really hot day of the year, I put up my layout in the garden, and took photos of it before I packed it away for the summer. Going through my photos, I came to think that a lot of modellers seem to prefer modelling pubs more than any other buildings.

So, could we have a gallery of model pubs here on RMWeb?

Here are my three for a start, all scratchbuilt from card, cereal boxes and brickpaper:

(Funny they should all be positioned dead at the front of the layout, making patrons fall off it a real possibility)

saracens_head.jpg

albion.jpg

station.jpg

• Like 11

I've got four pubs on my little layout - all based on real ones;

post-33-0-49692200-1303309309_thumb.jpg

From Battersea and renamed the Plough after my village local

post-33-0-49659200-1303309320_thumb.jpg

A model of the real Wheatsheaf in Boro Market.

The other two are more difficult to see and I've not got any decent snaps of them;

post-33-0-85382100-1303309330_thumb.jpg

The Coronation Hall in Surbiton.

post-33-0-50011100-1303309333_thumb.jpg

The Market Porter in Boro Market can just be seen last on the left under the bridges.

G.

• Like 10

Grahame,

You certainly have captured the look of the Corrination Hall! I lived in Surbiton for 16 years and walked past it on my way to school each day.

It had an interesting History before it got to the Weatherspoons owned pub it is today. I remember when one owner spent Thousands doing it up to become a Nudiests health spa! Lots of us excited kids made sure we walked very slowly past just in case a window or blind was left open!! Unfortunatly it never came to fruition. Although it became one of my favorite haunts later when Weatherspoons got hold of it!

Cheers for the walk down memory lane,

Matt

Guest jim s-w

My layout will feature at least one pub, the one nearest the station is arguably the most infamous pub in the country if you are over 40!

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_pub_bombings

I plan o copy the plaque in the city and mount it on the front of the layout as a tribute. The pub certainly won't be featured in anything other than it's everyday state.

For a superb account of the night of the 21st November 1974 have a read of http://hstrial-ahill1.homestead.com/

Cheers

Jim

Has anyone modelled those huge old Gin Palaces you see (or did) in East London (about as far out as Dagenham) the ones covered in tiles?

Best, Pete.

In tandem with a pie and mash shop I hope!

Colin

Brought up on Saturdays down Dalston , Ridley and Roman Road markets !

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating thread, will photograph mine and post at some point.

There are some great models here already. - None from Fullers yet.... or dare I saw..... Watneys, complete with teh red barrel over the sign!

I can trump all those with Marylebone; where I was born.

I lived in Ossington Bldgs, from 1949 - 52, I understand they are now flats, those days you rented the rooms you needed off a corridor (All glazed tiles green/cream),

shared toilets on the landings and also a Belfast sink. Gas lights in most of the rooms.

One of the buildings was a steam Laundry, I wasn't allowed in - women, but no ladies worked in there!!!!!!!!

Those where the days (I feel a song coming on!) when W&H Models was in first Baker Street and then Paddington Street.

I see on Google and Streetview the buildings are now called 'London Design and Renovation', might have to a walk round there some time.

I see the pub on the corner of Moxon Street and Oss. Bldgs has gone, men only in my Grandad's days - perhaps that's why I wasn't allowed in the laundry?

..... - None from Fullers yet.... or dare I saw..... Watneys, complete with teh red barrel over the sign!

Watneys sad.gif Well any layout based south of Brum, more or less, and at the end of steam would have to have a Watneys surely.

I know there were plenty of others, but Watneys seemed to be everywhere.

For more pubs, see here.

http://www.portsmouthpubs.org.uk/

A brilliant site, with modern and archive photographs.

The site owners, Richard Collins [pub pictures] and Ray Scarfe [signs] are happy for them to be reproduced as elements for model rail construction [signs, backscenes textures etc ] without restriction, which is very nice but if reproduced on the forum as part of a discussion they should include the attribution 'Copyright R Collins and R Scarfe'.

I hope it is of interest to RMWeb members,

Doug

• Like 1

post-6681-0-79599300-1303644900_thumb.jpg

This is a rough old joint on the quay at Combwich, and as you can see the locals are rather strange. Apart from stale ale and rancid cider the only food offered is a knuckle sandwich. This one was knocked up from cereal packets and printer paper. Total cost about 3p and a week of evenings in front of the telly making it about 8 years ago.

post-6681-0-00029000-1303645032_thumb.jpg

Another not so good place for a drink, but better than the one above on the quay. They do scampi & chips and chicken in a basket, and you can bowl the night away on pints of tasteless Ushers in the hall on the right. Again mostly made from contents of the recycling bin

post-6681-0-24306100-1303645129_thumb.jpg

The Brewhouse Tavern on the brewery quay. The sign needs to be changed, it looks rather like a modern day gastro-pub. Unlike the others, this is a ready to plonk limited edition Scenecraft/TMC one based on the real Good Beer Guild Birch Hall Inn at Beck Hole.The barge which doesn't take this close up too well is a kit from Artitec.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics of "The Admiral Jellicoe" (a Youngs house of course) just down the road from South Pimlico station. I had to get the layout board out of storage & set it up in a very temporary manner so please excuse the junk in the background! There are some better pics on the old RMWeb site in a thread titled "Dodgy Boozer".

post-63-0-25308100-1303648639_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-93184300-1303648644_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I'll raise you Balls Pond Road and Brick Lane (as was). I was born in Highbury but actually lived, until I was 5, in Tyssen Road, Stoke Newington.

Best, Pete.

I lose - I was born in an ambulance but Luton on the Birth Certificate!

Adopted at 6 months into an East End family from Well St Hackney

Granddad (I never met him) was the local coal merchant - Horse and Cart.

The family then moved east and west ( something like 14 siblings) to Herts ( My parents and 2 aunties) and Essex the rest.

My parents (toe) went via Stoke Newington finally moving out in the 60's

A couple of the siblings remained in Hackney hence the saturdays down the market - and pie and mash after .

Mind you it took me until my 30's to try jellied eels - I couldn't get over the horror as a young kid of seeing eels outside the shops !

PhilJ W - I believe it was Ware in Herts that had a very high proportion of pubs to population one on every corner but then it was home to the oast houses for the local brewery

None from Fullers yet.... or dare I saw..... Watneys, complete with teh red barrel over the sign!

Okay, here's a Fullers pub; based on the real Royal Standard in Croydon;

post-33-0-76109600-1303674571_thumb.jpg

(from my old N gauge layout - Hedges Hill Cutting.)

G.

• Like 7