The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

is it me?

tetleys

Is it me or am I just aging faster than I thought?

I've been a bit busy building our new railway room with three bedroom annex so I've been out of the RMWeb loop lately but since I finished work early I thought I'd spend a few minutes catching up on the latest modelling masterpieces.

No chance. All I can get is Bloggs,I briefley found Great Northern's peterborough article yesterday but I cannot find anything readable since. I don't understand bloggs, I thought twitter was something to describe bird speak and I'm hopeless at Morse code and cannot text since my kid's cast off mobiles automatically enter 'Coronation Street' if I want to start a word with 'C' and even talking to my teenage grandkids is impossible. I know I went to school a millenium ago but when did THINK start with 'F'.

I think progress has passed me by so I'd better retire back into my shell and leave RMWeb and the like to the generation who have inherited the earth.

Victor

This sounds like a call to place some links for some recommended therapy for Mr Tetleys !

Link to layout topics - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/forum/87-layout-topics/

A small marvel - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/21148-my-new-project-south-wales-steelworks/page__view__findpost__p__347690

Structures to take your breath away - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28293-manchester-central-castlefield-viaducts-modelling-structures/

More building excellence - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/8606-fen-hilton-sidings/page__st__50

More quality - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/6570-newhaven-harbour-c-1974/

Have you had a look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/showcase/ ?

I could go on but I will leave it to others to recommend a bit of quality for this wavering soul.

No chance. All I can get is Bloggs,I briefley found Great Northern's peterborough article yesterday but I cannot find anything readable since. I don't understand bloggs,

No just you I often get the feeling that I have been transported in time to another parallel world that didn't quite get developed the same way as the one I inhabit. I only inhabit "Active Content" - the Bloggs just don't function the way I would like and the content is so variable. The Showcase just seems like some other planet, and the forums just seem to be sliding into a Wheeltappers social forum every day. There still is some pretty amazing content but you just have to look further for it. I've never bothered with the separate forum headings - so if it doesn't come up on "Active Content" it will just pass me by.

I thought I was pretty open-minded to progress and positive change but texting I cannot really see much point to - why not just phone and speak or better still email.

I must admit I do not get on with bloggs (nothing personal Joe)...

I did have a bit of trouble when trying to post a 'workbench' topic - they just seemed to be bloggs, but then I found 'Kitbuilding & Scratch Building' which was sort of appropriate.

I had some Junk Mail the other day that promised me that whatever Gizmo it was advertising would "Organise My Digital Life!!"...

I didn't realise I had a Digital Life.... <_< Model Railway Forums do not count!!

Blogs are like Marmite, I think. There's a couple of US modellers' Blogs I try & follow, but it was one part of RMweb4 that I've never taken to.... I mostly frequent "Overseas modelling", my "own content" link, and the "Active Content" link.

Some days RMweb looks to me like a wheeltappers chatline, and so the interesting bits on railway modelling are somewhat harder to come by. In fact, I read the OP then somehow got waylaid and because I get stare crazed looking at lots of text on a screen, a better way to get back to this thread was to simply look for the name Tetleys. On the way I saw the handle Great Northern and found a smashing thread I didn't know existed. Not seeing the wood for the trees probably.:)

http://www.rmweb.co....200#entry380727

I feel a whole lot better now I realise I am not alone, there are others like me who just don't understand blogs.

What is there not to understand? You just start at top left and read left to right and down the page, maybe pausing to admire the pictures :rolleyes:

Nick

• RMweb Gold
What is there not to understand? You just start at top left and read left to right and down the page, maybe pausing to admire the pictures :rolleyes:

Nick, don't try to oversimplify this. There are all sorts of complications. Arabic users would be reading right to left, and Chinese users will be reading in vertical columns. Not to mention Urdu, Binti, Etruskan and ancient Egyptian. Reading a blog can be a very complicated affair and we really should respect each other's differences.

I know my blog's not exactly the upper echelon of modelling by any means (I'll settle for lower echelons as something to aim for!)...

But I have fun organizing it :)

If everyone who made a blog took the time to organize it in a way which compels the reader to look on and search more, then we wouldn't have half the "I can't find anything of interest" posts we get with regards the blogs on RMweb.

An index is absolutely essential - and so many of the blogs on here don't have one that I find myself sympathizing greatly with those who don't get on with them. A well organized blog can be a great resource, but a poorly organized one puts people off.

...If everyone who made a blog took the time to organize it in a way which compels the reader to look on and search more, then we wouldn't have half the "I can't find anything of interest" posts we get with regards the blogs on RMweb...

I entirely agree! The reverse chronology of most conventional blog software is not really appropriate for our needs where we often need to tell a story over several entries. The IP Board blog software almost abandons any inbuilt structure, leaving it to us to do the work. I suspect few know about the Archive link, and the short Recent Entries list is hopeless for the more prolific blog writers. As you say, many authors, perhaps an increasing number as the blogs become more widely used, fail to appreciate the effort that must be put into indexing to make their blogs accessible. Add to that the tendency, at least as I perceive it, towards fairly inconsequential 'stream of conciousness' entries which might be better consolidated into a single entry...

Nick

ps. Mikkel, when you succeed in posting an Arabic or Chinese entry, I'm sure I'll manage to find a colleague who can translate it for me by reading in the appropriate direction :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

I think progress has passed me by so I'd better retire back into my shell and leave RMWeb and the like to the generation who have inherited the earth.

Victor

Dear Mr Meldrew

With you on the blog thing - despite the good ship RSS Fetcher apparently telling us every time a blogger blogs, I don't look at as many as I should, because many are a bit disappointing, being "stream of consciousness" items in their owner's day, rather than either questions or progress reports on layout or modelling issues. In fairness, that is what blogs worldwide tend to be.

I heartily recommend "Active Content" as the way to enjoy RMWeb. This gives you a timed list of all the latest (up to 24 hrs) forum and blog entries. They are categorised, so if Wheeltappers ain't your thing, or you find Overseas Prototype to be irrelevant, then ignore those items. Refreshing Active Content from time to time also permits you to see if another entry has been made after the deathless prose you added to a particular thread. You can "watch" or "subscribe to" forums and blogs, although I haven't found it necessary to do so. The conspicuous exception to that is member 10800's blog on Balcombe and the Ouse Valley Viaduct he and Re6/6 are building, which is surreal in its scope - and very fine modelling by any standard, too.

Please give RMWeb another try. Andy Y and his Mods do a great job of looking after the property, and some of the modelling on here is simply brill.

Alternatively "view new content" gives you the same list of entries, but going back to whenever you last visited the site.

Correct both of these are useful as some sort of guide to content. BUT they don't permit knowledge of what the content is of the new messages. I'm just grateful that the other sites I am interested in have retained the old fashioned Yahoo Groups where it is possible to scan the content of a daily digest in moments, or even months using the view which shows the first couple of lines of every post. These IP type of site makes it incredibly easy to miss something, and the subjects die if there is no response within a few hours. I am signed up to some others, but never even look at them because they don't actively contact me with new content!. Fortunately SEMG had a vote on changing to a site similar to RMWeb and it was resoundingly voted down.

I know Andy has asked for clearer titles - but they get truncated on here and it doesn't help when they drift OT - which I do with some entries. It doesn't seem possible to alter the heading to even indicate OT.

This was about blogs. I'm with you. Never look at them on here - didn't even realise they existed until recently. But then I don't understand what the RSS symbol does on my new Zenfolio site either :huh: .

Paul Bartlett

The topicpreview.png icon alongside the topic should be of some assistance in this respect for a basic preview.

Dear Andy

Please don't drag me into a discussion of using unexplained icons. But where, I can't see this. Not at the beginning (and some pages run to hundreds of pages) nor alongside the latest entry?

Help please.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Dave it is not that you are 'just' a Luddite!laugh.gif You do have a little bit on in your life unlike many of us on here who spend way too much time on here to do anything else. Hell I haven't even finished modelling my first armchair yet.rolleyes.gif

I don't 'do' blogs either but I do understand that others do and that many enjoy their content. Likewise I don't 'do' Twitbook and would far prefer to talk to someone on the phone than spend ages typing on a tiny keyboard on the phone that require glasses and a patience to deal with the predicted text.

As many have suggested I use the View New Content link and glance down the list to see what interests me. Then I can look at what I want and ignore the rest. It does of course all take time of which I have plenty and you because you 'choose' to build a new railway house room you don't.laugh.gif

I would just say that I for one sincerely hope you continue to be a regular looker and occasional contributor as Tetleys was a huge factor in me being here in the first place.

Chris

...I don't 'do' blogs either but I do understand that others do and that many enjoy their content. Likewise I don't 'do' Twitbook and would far prefer to talk to someone on the phone than spend ages typing on a tiny keyboard on the phone that require glasses and a patience to deal with the predicted text...

Am I alone in finding the implicit comment about RMweb blogs in posts like this offensive, even if that is not their authors' intention? The vast majority of blog entries on RMweb contain serious modelling content, and some of it is truly outstanding. They are not (well, rarely) about what the author had for breakfast or other such trivia. I also don't 'do' Twitbook but I do enjoy reading about the range of modelling represented on the blogs which covers much the same spectrum as that found in the more serious area of the forum.

Come on chaps, have a look before complaining. I know it is difficult to find your way around if blogs aren't well indexed (see above) but why not cast caution to the wind and be adventurous? There are links and buttons all over most RMweb pages. Just click on a few of them and see where they take you ;) You could start by clicking on "Layout & Workbench Topics/Blogs" in the blue band at the top of each page.

Nick

... I think progress has passed me by ...

Nothing has passed you by, it's analogous to not driving for some time in a particular part of the world you once new well , that has since had a massive road building programme. On a revisit after the time away, your mental map is deranged by the routes you knew well no longer being available, and the signposting and routes that are now available working in ways you find counter-intuitive. But you are still driving on the road perfectly adequately...

Just ignore the blog thing, that's strictly for the folks who think that the Segway is the future of personal transport ;)

It doesn't seem possible to alter the heading to even indicate OT.

It is possible - but only the originator of the topic can do it.

Needs to edit the first entry (OP) in the topic using the "Full Editor" and there the topic title and subtitle can be edited.

Sometimes I wish this was available to everyone - I just might be tempted to go in and fix some of those glaringly awful misspellings!

Just ignore the blog thing, that's strictly for the folks who think that the Segway is the future of personal transport ;)

That comment is a bit unwarranted. Just because you find it difficult to go through some blogs, doesn't mean there are not blogs on this site which work well (some exceedingly well).

Some of us put in a lot of work to making our blogs presentable for reading. I will never lay claim to my blog being a centre of excellence for modeling, but I made sure it can be navigated round by a reader as best it can.

Archived