Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Hi Simon,

I echo the previous poster in saying that we are really looking forward to seeing Hobbiton End at our show in Barnstaple on the 27th.

If you need any local knowledge, e.g:- cheapest place to park etc, please just give me a call on the club contact number.

All of the arrangements are in place & it should be a fantastic exhibition, showcasing many new & exciting layouts.

Having been a keen Tolkien reader for many years, & being dragged around various Games Workshops by our son in his youth, I think your idea is wonderful.

It's so refreshing to see a layout based on something unusual, & out of the normal loop.

I particularly enjoy your little hints & tips, & I'm now a regular user of Flowersoft products on your recommendation on another thread.

Very much looking forward to having the opportunity to see Hobbiton End in the flesh.

See you next weekend.

Rob ( Barnstaple Club Sec)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

post-10942-0-30694800-1374320272_thumb.jpg

I would like to add my compliments to all the others on Simon’s layout – a really ‘different’ idea that will surely be an attraction at any show.

By coincidence, my son Andrew has recently started making ‘small houses’ as part of his pottery enterprise, and they are proving very popular. All are unique as they are handmade. The one in the picture is about the size of a large loaf of bread. I assure you it is pottery and not cake!

Full details can be found on his website or Facebook page.

http://www.andrewmacdermott.com

http://www.facebook.com/AmPottery

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 1

I do like this layout, love the last little building, you do it just right, a smidgen this side of twee. So many people get prototypical, but forget this can be so good too, and a really good draw for the kids too. Clever, inventive, and full of imagination, lashings of imagination.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

I must agree with all who have already said this is a fantastic piece of work.  Some time ago I emailed a link to this thread to some friends who are Tolkien 'daft' but who also have absolutely no interest in trains or models of them.  Suffice to say, they are entertained, amused, and intrigued by this layout.  You have done the hobby a favour.

Regards,

Alex.

Wiring now sorted although I now have a hand held controller on its way to Gaugemaster for repair and replacement sockets on their way for installation as well, yes, not all went well yesterday!!!

I am now onto Chimney production -

post-3347-0-75231500-1374524653.jpg

As well as paiting crew for a couple of the locomotives.

Best wishes

Simon

A very busy day today, not going into details about the developments on the layout those of you visiting the Barnstaple show will see then, other people, I apologise adn will post a load of piccies over the weekend.

I am pleased with the way the layout is looking and it seems to be running ok as well - shouldn't have said that, I am now asking for trouble, aaaaaaaargh!!!!

Fingers crossed for a trouble free show!

Hope to see some of you there.

best wishes

Simon

Hopefully someone can take pictures 'as exhibited' at the show.

Good luck Simon. May your wheelsets run freely and your track joints be level.

Farewell wherever you fare, 'til your shed receives you at the journey's end.

May the rails under your wheels bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.

It's a bit paraphrased, but hopefully apt.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I've been and looked for treebeard, however it appears that I cleared that cupboard out in a previous visit to my parents as none of my wargaming stuff is there.

It was a games workshop one, white metal with Merry and Pippin sat in his branches - don't know if they're still available.

Sorry

No worries mate, will start loking for one cos I like the idea!

I had a most excellent day on Saturday at the Barnstaple show, a VERY friendly little show, one of the best shows I have attended, just proves that size isn't everytthing!!!

Some piccies already posted, I have some more and will add an update of all the changes made over a very busy week, the show did highlight a few issues, one being that I need to get the stock ruynbning reliably, way too much finger prodding which I hate but never mind. Couldn;'t have been too bad I have been invited back next year as well as several other possible invites around the area.

No opportunity to slow down the development then hehehehe.

Best wishes

Simon

... the show did highlight a few issues, one being that I need to get the stock ruynbning reliably, way too much finger prodding which I hate but never mind.

Ah, the hand of Eru Ilúvatar.

Inevitable for a first outing. The party tree looks fabulous. I look forward to seeing it with foliage.

Saturday was great fun thanks, I was delighted at how well the layout was received. I was more nervous exhibiting this layout than I ever have been with the N gauge one. It is so different that I was concerned, without reason obviously!!

We have been provisionally invited back next year so you will be able to see how the layout develops - no pressure then hehehe

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Saturday was great fun thanks, I was delighted at how well the layout was received. I was more nervous exhibiting this layout than I ever have been with the N gauge one. It is so different that I was concerned, without reason obviously!!

We have been provisionally invited back next year so you will be able to see how the layout develops - no pressure then hehehe

Simon

Won't be provisional for long!

Will be booking the hall for next year in the next few days and will then start sending our invites!