Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

And does anyone know who makes etched brass snow ploughs to fit the 50's?

I think PHD Designs do

Hey all. Can anyone tell me, the model of Hood, did it come with a certificate?

50031 did not come with a certifficate. Nor did the weathered version of 50007.

The only Class 50 to come with a certifficate was 50149.

I think PHD Designs do

50031 did not come with a certifficate. Nor did the weathered version of 50007.

The only Class 50 to come with a certifficate was 50149.

Not strictly true. The weathered version of 50007 (R2499) did come with a certificate if you bought it from Hornby and not Rails of Sheffield. In an unusual twist the name of the original buyer was printed on the certificate so I expect a lot of people bin these when selling them on?

*gribble*

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

How am I supposed to model the whole class if I start to sell them ??!!   :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

produce two of each :P 1 for me.. 1 for you.... 1 for me... 1 for you :)

On a serious note tho.... if you change your mind... im still interested :)

Edited by dugdug03

• RMweb Premium

Can't see me selling any, I've cleared a shelf long enough to hold the whole class.

Only 9 gaps left to fill on the shelf, and I've already got 5 of the base models for those ! :imsohappy:

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

I used to watch the 50s a lot as I lived near the Maidenhead / reading area. 1984 - 12 years old, magic !

I was never convinced by the Hornby version - I think it was the lack of effective weathering on mine.

Phil - you've nailed it though, just like i remember !

Can't see me selling any, I've cleared a shelf long enough to hold the whole class.

Only 9 gaps left to fill on the shelf, and I've already got 5 of the base models for those ! :imsohappy:

cheers,

Phil.

That's ok Phil, just being cheeky... I brought another 50013 on Saturday at Telford show... Hoping to get it re-named and numbered but not 100% which other 50 carried that livery, domino and tail lights in unfurnished condition..

I also have a 50002 which i had renamed and numbered to 50030 only to relies it never appeared in this livery.

I need to also find out which class members carried the NSE revised livery with the west of England badge, if anyone could help, that would be great!

Edited by dugdug03

• RMweb Premium

IIRC 50030 appeared in the revised NSE style livery, but with the original pale blue colour. It did get some patch painting around the cabs with the darker blue though.

Try 'class50.com' and go through the galleries section. ;)

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's ok Phil, just being cheeky... I brought another 50013 on Saturday at Telford show... Hoping to get it re-named and numbered but not 100% which other 50 carried that livery, spot and tail lights in unfurnished condition..

Assuming you mean refurbished but with BR blue livery, you have a few to choose from including 50006/17/47

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I assumed dugdug03 meant unrefurbished, named and 'domino' headcodes !!

Cheers,

Phil.

I thought that at first too, but then realized that would cover all fifty 50s, except 50007 and 50035 which had a spotlight arrangement in the headcode panel at one end only, so assumed he was asking something else!

50007: http://www.hondawanderer.com/50007_Oxford_1982.htm

50035: https://www.flickr.com/photos/24555083@N08/3040664047

Edited by brushman47544

Assuming you mean refurbished but with BR blue livery, you have a few to choose from including 50006/17/47

I did indeed, thank you for that... thanks for the suggestion aswell, help me alot

Sorry i quoted the wrong post... was meant to be *Unfurnished*

Edited by dugdug03

Indeed Phil, the first six 50s out of refurbishment at The Plant were shod in plain blue (19 was another) and the only way to do one of these is strip/repaint a later liveried model. A bodyshell of which I have ready stripped awaiting paint.

C6T.

Indeed Phil, the first six 50s out of refurbishment at The Plant were shod in plain blue (19 was another) and the only way to do one of these is strip/repaint a later liveried model. A bodyshell of which I have ready stripped awaiting paint.

C6T.

Number 22 Anson too - I remember her hauling my first ever train journey down the SR Exeter road

• RMweb Premium

Number 22 Anson too - I remember her hauling my first ever train journey down the SR Exeter road

Sorry but no, 50022 Anson was refurbished and repainted into LL blue at the same time. The six 50s that were refurbished in BR blue were in order, 50006, 50017, 50019, 50001, 50047, 50013, then the first into LL blue 50023.

Modelling the Peterborough area (May 1980 datewise) as I do, I'd have been hard pressed to justify a 50 on the layout but have a fondness for the prototype and the Hornby effort was a must have.

Hence a check of the 50 refurb shopping dates in "BR Operations in the 80s" (Colin Marsden, OPC) resulted in a viciously weathered Anson and what will become Swiftsure in an ex-works condition, both either en-route to or out on test from Doncaster.

Rule One applies, but I still have to convince myself of a plausible reason!

C6T.