gwr 6400 conversion from hornby 8750

Interesting thread, I've been wondering how to produce a 74xx for Llanfyllin. Dear Mr Hornby or Mr Bachmann.....................

There have been rumours for a few years of Hornby doing the 6400/7400 family but its not turned up in any new release list yet.

The tanks of the 54xx are on a separate drawing compared to the 2301 boiler family so I think they are different.

• RMweb Gold

There have been rumours for a few years of Hornby doing the 6400/7400 family but its not turned up in any new release list yet.

The tanks of the 54xx are on a separate drawing compared to the 2301 boiler family so I think they are different.

I have been badgering Mr Kohler at every opportunity for the past three years and about all I could get out of him (last year)was 'well our existing pannier has been around a long time and we ought, I s'pose, to think about doing something about it'. Hence my speculation in the Hornby frothfest thread that the 'something' might be a 64XX/74XX. Clearly it has been a form of speculation where my powers have been even worse than those of Mystic Meg. Maybe I should have told SK that one ran in blue livery at one time?

I have been badgering Mr Kohler at every opportunity for the past three years and about all I could get out of him (last year)was 'well our existing pannier has been around a long time and we ought, I s'pose, to think about doing something about it'. Hence my speculation in the Hornby frothfest thread that the 'something' might be a 64XX/74XX. Clearly it has been a form of speculation where my powers have been even worse than those of Mystic Meg. Maybe I should have told SK that one ran in blue livery at one time?

I have kept quiet before but as the subject has been brought up, and at the risk of frothing, I contributed in the research for new kit of a 54XX about three years ago. Both the Stephen Poole and Nucast were unlikely to reappear and we felt an updated version was overdue. Several highly detailed autocoach kits were available with further diagrams coming on the market (and another one coming next year) but there was no equally detailed loco to attach, the nearest being an etched 517.

The project went on hold when it was discovered that one of the rtr boys had also been researching the same engine, and the 2021, we assumed because it shared the same frames and a second loco could also be produced. As I said this was over three years ago and nothing has been seen in a blue or red box yet.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

It wasnt just the GWR. I'll bet not many people can tell the difference between a Brush A1A-A1A Type 3 and a Type 2........ :sungum:

My son wants to know what a Brush type 2 is? I showed him a pic and I was informed I was wrong as it is a class 31. Generation gap or what!

Mike Wiltshire

My son wants to know what a Brush type 2 is? I showed him a pic and I was informed I was wrong as it is a class 31. Generation gap or what!

Mike Wiltshire

Actually you might be able to trump that - if it was a picture taken before it was re-engined (original Mirrlees engines replaced by English Electric ones 1965-'68 then it's a Class 30!

• RMweb Premium

It wasnt just the GWR. I'll bet not many people can tell the difference between a Brush A1A-A1A Type 3 and a Type 2........ :sungum:

That would be D5833, which was even a Type 4 (2000HP) for a short while.

Kevin Martin

What's the point if they're not going to see the light of day?

The point is Ivan,that it would fit under the kits that do exist already...,

I mean,I've got a Westward 64/74XX kit that it would suit,and a Cotswold 16XX that it could be probably adapted to fit as well...

I'll have to have a word in Chris's shell-like next time I see him..

The point is Ivan,that it would fit under the kits that do exist already...,

I mean,I've got a Westward 64/74XX kit that it would suit,and a Cotswold 16XX that it could be probably adapted to fit as well...

I'll have to have a word in Chris's shell-like next time I see him..

Yes, but if it was designed exclusively for David Geen, I'm not sure Dave would be too happy about it escaping through the back door, so to speak, even if he might now have no intention of producing a 64xx kit due to things like, um, retirement.

I encountered a similar situation when I once asked Malcolm Mitchell, who had designed and etched a peerless valve gear and motion fret for a "Schools", whether I could buy a set from him. He was unable to sell me one, not even "under the table" as someone else had commissioned it for their own purposes.

Interesting! Has Chris produced any of these chassis?

I assume he'll have tested what he designed but its for and owned by David Geen. You'd have to ask him what he did with it. He may also have been waiting on a Hornby announcement to see whether it was worth developing.

I guess that's the issue now with anything commercially viable, if you want a kit of it you'll have to find someone who does kits for personal and not commercial reasons. I know Martin Finney stated a while back you can't get a commercial return on 4mm now.

I assume he'll have tested what he designed but its for and owned by David Geen. You'd have to ask him what he did with it. He may also have been waiting on a Hornby announcement to see whether it was worth developing.

Again, it all went on hold when information came to light regarding one of the rtr boys also researching the same locomotive. I'll be meeting up with DG before Christmas. I'll have a discussion as to whether he is worth resuming with this one, but I doubt if it is even a talking point until after Hornby's Jan 3 announcements.

Mike Wiltshire

Sorry Mike, i'd paused posting my reply and didn't see yours come in. It makes complete sense to again wait for what Hornby do at this time of year. I'd thought Chris had design work for the 64xx from a larger scale design.

My only concern with this kit when I spoke to David about it was that is was more designed as a beginners design whereas I wanted a full Finney style affair.

There could be a market for a chassis and detailing kit even if Hornby do announce one as it seems to work for the Bachmann Jinty as an example.

There would always be the possibility of a 1600 kit otherwise.

Sorry Mike, i'd paused posting my reply and didn't see yours come in. It makes complete sense to again wait for what Hornby do at this time of year. I'd thought Chris had design work for the 64xx from a larger scale design.

My only concern with this kit when I spoke to David about it was that is was more designed as a beginners design whereas I wanted a full Finney style affair.

There could be a market for a chassis and detailing kit even if Hornby do announce one as it seems to work for the Bachmann Jinty as an example.

It started as a basic kit but through all the Mitchell fittings he holds it was possible to supply highly detailed parts if required. An attempt to introduce high def kits to those who are concerned they lack the skill in such areas.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Fingers crossed should a Bachmann or Hornby model appear, something along the lines of a chassis / detail kit will be released. I'd certainly be after one!

If the RTR does not appear hopefully the kit does!

• RMweb Premium

It has been suggested that the 8750 Cab is within 1mm the same size as the 16xx / 64xx.

Can anyone advise on the size of the Water Tanks for the 16xx / 64xx vs 8750? I know the boiler will need to be removed from the Tank Tops and the Smokebox door re-aligned. What about overall dimensions of the footplate?

Can anyone advise on the size of the Water Tanks for the 16xx / 64xx vs 8750? I know the boiler will need to be removed from the Tank Tops and the Smokebox door re-aligned. What about overall dimensions of the footplate?

I suggest you purchase a copy of Pictorial Record of Great Western Engines and all the data and comparisons you need will be in there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0860930246/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1323634163&sr=8-2&condition=used

Mike Wiltshire

8750 - 5'6,7'3,8'3,6'6. 1200 gallon

6400 - 5'2,7'4,7'4,7'7 1100 gallon

Different chimneys and dome too dont forget.

The join between cab and bunker seems to have changed from a curve to a 90deg corner during the 6400 build, earlier ones and 5400 having the curve.

I haven't got a copy of the 6400 GA to check the finer points. Russell has the basic diagrams in it as mentioned by Mike.

Archived