Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Thanks Bob - I actually enjoy making up the pipes. One of the bits missing from the kit is the distinctive bracket off the frames that supports the side chimney. It's not 100% accurate, as it has to fit in with the castings in the kit, but I made up the pair and soldered them to slots cut in the frames. It looked a little empty there otherwise..

attachicon.gifP1030106.JPG

Fantastic detail, Tony. Is it coming up to Wolverhampton Model Railway Exhibition with you? If so it's going to be a bit of an 0 feast! With

• Stodmarsh - 0 Gauge

• Penrhiwceiber TWLCH - 0 Gauge

• Lough MPD - 0 Gauge

• Millend - 0-16.5 Gauge

• Longnor - 0-16.5 Gauge

• Madelenia (South American) - 0-16.5 Gauge

I am going to take the liberty of posting Mac's photo of Lough MPD here as it's a relation to your project.

Best Regards

post-15321-0-36193700-1444728030_thumb.jpg

Edited by RonnieS
  • Like 4

Thanks Ron - that's a nice picture that Mac has taken! The Crostie might be at the show - I'm not sure yet.

It's been one step forward and two back. Everything is painted now, and whilst that's been going on I've been working on the valve gear. Only to discover that the weighshaft bearings don't line up and the return crank pivot is 3mm too far forward. I'm not sure if it's my mistake, but I should have checked rather than assumed.. So some rework is taking place on the left hand motion bracket. I also broke off one of the exhaust support brackets ( insert suitable swear word here ) and had to make a new one. It's all completed now, and the valve gear is all working, but here is work in progress.

post-6972-0-21931100-1445276471_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Tony

I have built no where near the amount of 7mm kits that you have completed - but I should have kept a record for every time I have completed a running chassis then got on with the body only to find at a later date that the chassis has somehow mysteriously developed a problem which inevitably requires a strip down of one sort or another. So I feel your frustration

Just part of the joy !!!! of modelling (in any scale)

Regards

Bob

Whilst I've been waiting for the last few bits for the Crostie ( which actually came very quickly this morning ) I though I'd get on with some DCC conversions, starting with putting MX696's in my Heljan 20s. Rather than have floating connections, I thought I'd utilise the Heljan pcb to distribute the connections taking advantage of the screw terminals. The 696 has ribbon cable to connect to the outside world, that is easy enough to strip apart the wires to connect them. I had to hacksaw a chunk off the central chassis tower to allow the decoder to sit under the Heljan pcb. I also managed to reconnect the lights and get them working. I've got the fan connected to F1, but not sussed out how to config that yet.

My NCE Procab couldn't read the MX696 on the program track, so I had to dig out the Sprog 2 to config the cvs and loco number from the computer.

So that's the 20s done, next up ( in the background ) is a rather nice scratchbuilt Battle of Britain class.

This is the birds nest, it just about fits back inside the loco body:-

post-6972-0-58332000-1445952447_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg

Whilst I've been waiting for the last few bits for the Crostie ( which actually came very quickly this morning ) I though I'd get on with some DCC conversions, starting with putting MX696's in my Heljan 20s. Rather than have floating connections, I thought I'd utilise the Heljan pcb to distribute the connections taking advantage of the screw terminals. The 696 has ribbon cable to connect to the outside world, that is easy enough to strip apart the wires to connect them. I had to hacksaw a chunk off the central chassis tower to allow the decoder to sit under the Heljan pcb. I also managed to reconnect the lights and get them working. I've got the fan connected to F1, but not sussed out how to config that yet.

My NCE Procab couldn't read the MX696 on the program track, so I had to dig out the Sprog 2 to config the cvs and loco number from the computer.

So that's the 20s done, next up ( in the background ) is a rather nice scratchbuilt Battle of Britain class.

This is the birds nest, it just about fits back inside the loco body:-

attachicon.gifP1030116.JPG

i genuinely had no idea what you just said but it did sound dead clever. Might be why i get the wife to do the electrics.

Once you get to the weathering, the engines begin to come alive. Here we are part way through, there is more spraying to do yet and then hand finishing. It's beginning to look the part though...

post-6972-0-54893600-1446275313_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Once you get to the weathering, the engines begin to come alive. Here we are part way through, there is more spraying to do yet and then hand finishing. It's beginning to look the part though...attachicon.gifIMG_20151030_145635871.jpg

Yes but when is the do not move sign getting fitted as it sat in the back sidings on welling bough shed awaiting conversion?

Come to think of it you could have built it up motorized and saved yourself a few quid. ( they do still have pounds in Wales? )

Richard

Sadly the loco is not for me Richard, and my client wants a runner!

I'm midway through the weathering at the moment, it looks a little flat at the moment, hand finishing will add more variation in texture.

post-6972-0-39670300-1446622702_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Meanwhile 90115 is under repair - new slidebars to replace the original Oakville whitemetal ones. My Oakville WD still has them and because the running plate is soldered to the frames, the cylinders are impossible to remove... and interesting challenge.

post-6972-0-95641700-1446623613_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Meanwhile 90115 is under repair - new slidebars to replace the original Oakville whitemetal ones. My Oakville WD still has them and because the running plate is soldered to the frames, the cylinders are impossible to remove... and interesting challenge.attachicon.gifP1030126.JPG

Hi Tony,

Ahh the Oakville WD, I replaced the w/metal slidebars on mine during the build and if I remember rightly I used steel bullhead rail as a replacement material albeit filed and fettled !

I was not brave enough to fit the w/metal slidebars because of it's frailty and longevity in my opinion, but obviously some have lasted well and proven me wrong.

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Thanks for your kind offer Jim - the loco owner had already obtained those parts for me - just above the detached wheel..

Martyn - my Oakville WD still has the whitemetal fittings - it's over 20 years old now....

post-6972-0-39698700-1446710587_thumb.jpg

Regards

Tony

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 5

I'm now on a Black 5 chassis rebuild and whilst I'm waiting for bits, I thought I'd get on with some wagons. At the Wolverhampton show I picked up some well built bargain Parkside wagons that just needed a bit of finishing. That's what I like about the small provincial shows, there are often bargains to be found. I like the Parkside kits, the only thing with the 21 tonners is that the springs re a bit puny. So I bought a batch of 3D printed springs from Simon Thompson. It's a little difficult, but it's possible with a bit of care to retro fit them to the wagon - with the temporary loss of a couple of door bangers..

New spring on the left. old one on the right:-

post-6972-0-18960800-1447144080_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Whilst tinkering with the wagons I though I's knock up a couple of ABS Iron Ore Tipplers. I like these kits, they are an enjoyable build, although the drawing pin buffers are a bit strange, so I'm using Parkside ones for this one. The Derby line will need a rake of them, so it's a case of knocking up a few at a time. It's put together with 145 degree solder with 70 for the white metal parts.

post-6972-0-70175900-1447334261_thumb.jpg

Rocks by Rail in Rutland is always worth a visit, and although the wagons there are late in life and you never know what changes have been made, it's worth getting some prototype photo's. It doesn't look as though B383560 has changed much since the 1960's.. There is a whole variety of types:- 9/10ft wheelbases, different heights, brake gear and buffer variations. The fun of wagon picking...

post-6972-0-76017900-1447334437_thumb.jpg

• Like 6