The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

David Hill - I'm an obsessive compulsive cleaner! I probably wash what I'm working on several times in a session, otherwise the flux gets everywhere. It does seem to mark towels though, I've got in trouble for that.... I use the water based flux from 'Building 7mm on line' - less fumes than phosphoric acid.

The tank is designed in that a half etch on the top bit folds over the sharp radius curve on the bottom bit. I couldn't see how I could do that neatly in a millions years so I cut it off and soldered some scrap strip on the inside of the top and used that to locate the bottom, forming a but join. I then soldered along the outside and cleaned up, It's smidge undersize now but it looks ok.

post-6972-0-07856000-1452502071.jpg

post-6972-0-85866200-1452502092.jpg

• Like 2

Those tanks are certainly interesting to shape, I'm working on some in 16mm ones which are basically the same shape.

In the past I've redone the tank as some times the material is over thick and impossible to form the smaller radius curves.

Your mod has worked well.

Hope you don't mind that I've Included a link to my build.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95573-16mm-scratch-built-locos-for-fsij/&do=findComment&comment=2044200

Simon

Thanks guys - interesting. I'll stay with my solder though! That's to do with my confidence in accurately engineering the thing to a proper tight fit in the first place..

The cab is coming on and I'm getting to grips with the style of the kit now. Part need trimming to fit and the kit is of it's age. After studying the photos, I see more detail is required, such as the beading around the cab window. It doesn't go all the way round and there are separate tabs to mount the tops of the handrails - they are not attached to an extension of the beading.

attachicon.gifP1030187.JPG

The 'separate tabs' for the top of the handrails are correct, on the full size version they are brackets bolted in place and are lined up with the top of the cutout of the cab side sheet. The beading is a part round strip that sits on the outside of the cab cutout, it doesn't overlap inside and also doesn't overlap where the front handrail bracket is bolted on.

Thanks Nigel - Simon - it's fine about the links - it all add interest.

The seam on the tank is not as obvious as the camera has made out - I hope! There is a little filling to do and we'll see after the primer has been applied. I've finished the main assembly and am going through the detailing at the moment. The buffers are modified MOK self contained LMS ones.

post-6972-0-25348700-1452759267_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Here's a couple of shots of the cab handrails and beading taken on Sunday of Hunslet 3839/1956 Wimblebury, under overhaul at Foxfield. Hope they are of help.

post-8705-0-24029200-1453211765_thumb.jpg

The two rods with handles at the top leaning against Bellerophon's running board are Wimblebury's injector water valve handles that sit in the corner of the cab down to the underfloor injectors.

post-8705-0-64358100-1453211768_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel - interesting photos, it looks like the LNER added angle to mount the doors inboard of the handrails. Roger tells me the steel floor can get a bit slippery, so the doors are very welcome...

It's detailed and assembled and ready for a track test now:-

post-6972-0-34551000-1453232810_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Perhaps these might might help with the boiler and cab details.

post-8705-0-76348700-1453392595.jpg

Mech Navvies on the Pontypool & Blaenavon.

post-8705-0-02186900-1453392747_thumb.jpg

Wimblebury a couple of years ago when in service at Foxfield

post-8705-0-06582800-1453392749_thumb.jpg

Also Wimblebury on the same occasion (with a preservation added LMS propotional brake valve in the corner of the cab by the fireman's elbow - he was driving at the time)

Hi Tony,

Fingers crossed I will be going to Bristol, if I haven't heard otherwise from work by tomorrow PM then I'm in the clear and the weekend will be mine, well that's the plan.

It would be nice to have a catch up as Telford was a bit hectic for you and the gang!

Regards,

Martyn.

Thanks David -

The loco body is finished and the tender is completely finished apart from pick ups and a little cleaning up since I took these pics. One of the things I enjoy about building - is the 'loco picking'. The pipe runs on 43052 are different to 43155/6, the difference between Horwich and Doncaster builds I suppose. The tender for 43042 is also different, no tablet catcher, no rear steps..

post-6972-0-78135300-1455005341_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-28646500-1455005510_thumb.jpg

The Doncaster show will now delay progress...

• Like 2

Hello Tony.  It was great to make the acquaintance of you and your good lady at the weekend.  There are some interesting photos of the ... event ... now on Facebook, though (thankfully, perhaps) neither you nor I are heavily featured, and certainly not in the more embarrassing ones(!!).   My word though, the Welsh really can sing ...

I've started to look at your thread here as you suggested, and although only up to 2011 so far, I'm well-impressed with what I see, and there's clearly a lot to learn on here even though I work in OO.  I will certainly continue to follow.  Keep it up!

Kind regards

Malcolm

• Like 1

Superb!

Looks like the cross member under the tank is loose. I assume it is detachable so that the inner frames with the wheels may be removed. Hope it hasn't dropped off into the carpet void!

Cheers,

Peter