The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

I've been multitasking and whilst I'm waiting for things to happen on the Toplights, there is a background task numbering and weathering 25 or more minerals. Along with painting some Modelu figures it's all pretty busy on the workbench.

If anyone has any unbuilt ABS Iron Ore Tippler kits for sale - I'd be interested.

post-6972-0-72859300-1461915115_thumb.jpg

I decided to use CPL alarm gear for the coach ends - it is beautifully cast and looks excellent. CPL products are now owned and sold by Paul Bambrick:- http://www.cplproducts.net/

post-6972-0-54468700-1461915260_thumb.jpg

So nearly there...

• Like 10

I'm waiting for a few final bits for the Toplights, so thought I'd fit in this repair job. Poor old 76026 has had a bit of crump, so is here for major work. A new smokebox and cab are needed. Fortunately a friend had the instructions for the DJB Standard 4, so I was able to establish how it fits together.

post-6972-0-22329300-1462190776_thumb.jpg

First job is to cut out the smokebox. So the chimney was pulled off and the door casting tapped out from behind with a hammer and screwdriver. Then the front disk was heated up with a torch and prised off. A cut with the slitting disk allowed the smokebox to be opened up and fortunately it was epoxied to the whitemetal joining ring, so I was able to prise it off.

post-6972-0-58186400-1462190983_thumb.jpg

Then the old box was rolled out as flat as possible.

post-6972-0-32560600-1462191050_thumb.jpg

The rivets were then filed flat. These could then be marked with a scriber and then drilled out to provide a mask to mark out the rivet positions on the new smokebox:-

post-6972-0-74226400-1462191140.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Now the front end is secure it will give some stability to the body, we can now get on and tackle the damaged cab. The chimney and other fittings have yet to be re-attached..

post-6972-0-58731100-1462541030_thumb.jpg

Then to chisel the cab side off, with a bit of heat, and yes, I did use the hammer!

post-6972-0-38602100-1462541124_thumb.jpg

I then heated the other side up with the torch in stages until the rather battered cab dropped off:

post-6972-0-40668500-1462541210_thumb.jpg

I think I've now sourced a new cab and with any luck that will arrive soon...

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 6

Just love the hammer on the bench: very therapeutic in those difficult to build moments. I have to keep mine in a closed drawer in case I resort to it in a fit of angst!

Wonderful work as always.

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to get hold of an MOK cab etch. I just love building anything from that stable and the new cab has gone together a treat.

post-6972-0-71913000-1462705756_thumb.jpg

I've just placed it into position here and there will be some extensive work to graft it on to the rest of the loco. I probably won't need the hammer for that. It does look right though and an improvement on the original cab in any case...

post-6972-0-02381200-1462705959_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I think I would have been distraught if that was my loco taking a nose dive, But I'm pretty certain she is going to be better once completed than the original version.

Steve, I don't think I would be distraught.  :jester:

I bl**dy well was

Regards.

• Like 3

All the original bits have been grafted on underneath, and I was even able to use the MOK mounting etch - albeit shortened to clear the pick ups inside the frames. It looks messy, but just needs a clean up. Attaching the cab was a battle that took 2 hours. I got it there on the third attempt, with use of various sizes of copper wire to fill the gaps.

post-6972-0-95302800-1462864417_thumb.jpg

Tidying up and painting to do, but its well on the way now. There are a few compromises with the DJB kit, but it looks the part..

post-6972-0-16438800-1462864493_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

After 2 weeks in Gran Canaria, I'm itching to get back to the workbench. I'm not a great fan of Pressfix lining, but I needed to match what was already on the model as it is a repair job. Fortunately I have some old Pressfix in stock. I've found that the newer stuff is not printed as sharp as it used to be. The other strange thing is that along the running plate the lining moves if held by a warm finger for any length of time, so that must be down to the varnish used... . My personal choice is hand lined, which I can't do! Anyway, with some varnish on today I can finish off the other details in the next couple of days.

post-6972-0-60396200-1464595213_thumb.jpg

I'm on the last 6 of 20 wagons or so. Norman Turner taught me the value of templates when we made the baseboards for Stoke Summit. So I use a paint pen to draw the patch outlines and then fill in with gloss paint. Fox supply B wagon number transfers in groups of 3 only needing 2 cuts, so that saves cutting out 7  characters.

post-6972-0-51749900-1464595862_thumb.jpg

The great thing about working for myself is that I don't feel obliged to go anywhere on Bank Holidays, I can go in the week. So more painting this morning before getting out into the garden...

• Like 7

Just grabbing Tony's site for a second to say a Public thank you  for the job of repairing 76026, which has now become 76042 including the required modifications that Tony was aware of. I collected her from the Doncaster show yesterday and including the other people who saw it ,Think it is a fantastic repair and I can thoroughly recommend him.

I do confess I have known him for a number of years in a casual contact sort of acqauintance,but that has not influenced my reaction.

Regards,Derek

• Like 2

I am very flattered Derek - I have to say.

And talking of generosity, 7mm Mick very kindly gave me a Peco Iron Tippler at the Doncaster show ( which was excellent ). Having seen Mick's wagons, this treacle coated item cannot have been of his making! So a bath of meths removed the majority of the paint. I've been a little disdainful of the Peco tipplers. Fortunately I had some Simon Thompson  springs in stock - they are for 21 tonners, but they will do. So cleaned up and with new springs and Parkside buffers the wagon looks a lot more business like.

post-6972-0-26002200-1465293440_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-54985900-1465293452_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice, but two minor niggles. Only three truss rods? Shouldn't there be four, one to each solebar and one to each of the two centre longitudes?

The other - I appreciate the carriages are brand new, but it looks as if the shop lad was sent round with the Brasso to polish up the door and commode handles - a little too zealously, perhaps.

Jim

Thanks Jim -

fair comment, each coach has 2 truss rods - that's all that was in the kit, if they should have 4 - that's my lack of knowledge of GW coaches! I shall investigate.

The handles do stand out, especially more in the photo. They are not so prominent in the flesh. I shall ask the owner his preference..

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

Looking at the photos of the early coaches in the Harris book, they certainly seem to have just 2 truss rods. Later coaches ( designated Multibar I think ) had 4. That will do for me..

Overall opinion is to leave the handles to tarnish, they are not as prominent in real life....

Tony

Fair comment. I have to admit that when I first looked at the pictures, I read them as appearing to show 3 truss rods, which struck me as odd. Looking again, what I think happened is that I wrongly interpreted another underframe fitting, possibly the steam pipe drain valve, as one of the queue posts on the far solebar. Oops :(

Jim

Thanks to the grotty weather, we're off and continuing the Great Western theme I am building 4702. First job was to cut out for the Slaters hornblocks. I don't make them adjustable as once the ride height is set, there is no need to change anything.

post-6972-0-72067700-1465969797_thumb.jpg

I use the hobby Holidays jig to assembles the frames, it holds everything in place nicely.

post-6972-0-25513100-1465969911_thumb.jpg

• Like 7