The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Thanks Martyn - I hope that I will see you at Telford!

The track test for 4702 went well after a few minor adjustments, and the following day a pleasant morning was spent making up the backhead. I'm not a GWR expert, but the web is a great resource if you just Google image GWR backheads. How did we cope before? And only one gauge glass?:-

post-6972-0-58536400-1471599974.jpg

That's about it for the moment on that project, it will go to Warren for painting in September. As we have a lovely rainy day, it's straight on to the next job, which I have rather been looking forward to, and 'can you tell what it is yet?', well it's pretty easy to guess.. I shall get round to changing the thread title again.

post-6972-0-81660400-1471600158_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

As we have a lovely rainy day, it's straight on to the next job, which I have rather been looking forward to, and 'can you tell what it is yet?', well it's pretty easy to guess.. I shall get round to changing the thread title again.

It's also easy to read the legend Modern Outline Kits BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-4 Tank Body on the lower left etch!

• Like 1

Thanks chaps - for me, MOK are the ultimate kits and today work has been an absolute pleasure. Everything fits, there's no fannying around to get parts to go together..

The ashpan is a 3 dimensional jigsaw, but fits together perfectly

post-6972-0-69571900-1471631363.jpg

There are multiple stretchers in the frames, but it all just fits together nicely:-

post-6972-0-05932800-1471631434_thumb.jpg

And todays session, sees the basic frames complete, and it's out on the bike for me as it's stopped raining!

post-6972-0-09919700-1471631502_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Dibateg,A very nice loco build,I have been following it with a view to building a 47xx myself,One thing is wrong with your backhead if you do not mind me saying and it is the firebox door flap,it should be outside of the door linkage,the bottom link as you have it stops it moving up or down. Garry

Hmmmm Tony,will be following with interest I have a DA Stanier 2 6 4 T awaiting assembly.

Hi Grasshopper John, I hope you're going to do a build thread on the Stanier, because I have one also! It'll be a while before I get round to mine though!!

Regards, Deano.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Martyn - I hope that I will see you at Telford!

The track test for 4702 went well after a few minor adjustments, and the following day a pleasant morning was spent making up the backhead. I'm not a GWR expert, but the web is a great resource if you just Google image GWR backheads. How did we cope before? And only one gauge glass?:-

attachicon.gifP1030739.JPG

That's about it for the moment on that project, it will go to Warren for painting in September. As we have a lovely rainy day, it's straight on to the next job, which I have rather been looking forward to, and 'can you tell what it is yet?', well it's pretty easy to guess.. I shall get round to changing the thread title again.

attachicon.gifP1030735.JPG

This is a great build. My only question is was that the only break valve in the kit as it is a combined brake ( By which I mean the air and steam valves were in the same casing and the brake handle goes either way from the vertical to either create or destroy the brake. Whereas I thought the 47xx was fitted with a four cone ejector , like this one https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/GWR_Castle_Class_5080_Defiant_footplate_2.jpg ? The basic difference is that the air and steam valves are now separated, with the steam valve (To create vacuum) is a pull down handle on the RHS of the casting and the air valve is by itself. Above the air valve can be seen the small ejector which maintains the vacuum ( But as I said I cant remember if the 47xx had a 4 cone ejector or just the type with separate air and steam valves, which was a development of the original 'combined brake'  Whatever it is a wonderful model.

Thanks Garry - good spot - I shall see to that!

Go for it Steve!

Grasshopper John - I have a DA Stanier 2-6-4 on order, I suspect it will not go together as well as the MOK.

Jeff - nice work, it looks great, thanks for posting the pic.

Thanks Blandford - I didn't have a 47xx backhead to copy, so estimated from other GWR loco's, thanks for the input.

Regards

Tony

• Like 2

I try not to go anywhere on Bank Holiday weekends, so unless I get dragged out on garden duties, it is on with the projects. Adrian Cherry did a very good of his S7 Standard 4 build a while ago, so that provides some useful information and is a very competent build.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16549-standard-4mt-build-scale-7/

I had an afternoon preparing castings and listening to a couple of Raymond Chandler dramatizations on the iPlayer. Building engines and great entertainment..

post-6972-0-71660100-1472373727_thumb.jpg

I was counting up, this is my 5th set of MOK class 4 valve gear, no excuse for mistakes...

• Like 7

Guest Isambarduk

I'll be there both days, helping out on the HMRS stand (No. 108), as usual.  Please feel free to call in there just to say 'hello', or to tarry for a longer chat.

See you there!    David

I have DA's Stanier and DJH's Fairburn.  I'm gonna be watching this one as well...

Hi Mike,

It's about time you popped over the pond and enjoyed a weekend at Telford, and the SVR isn't far from there.

Martyn.

Thanks Warren, I'm looking forward to seeing it lined out!

The valve gear is going together, so here it is prepared. It was good to see Dave Sharp at Telford. We had a good chat.

post-6972-0-10960000-1473329822_thumb.jpg

I was checking photos and it looks like the first few batches of these locos had a cage type relief valve, later on in the 60s, some of them had the more chunky type ( in the kit ) fitted that was on later batches. I've still to add the cylinder access hatches.

post-6972-0-96383000-1473330003_thumb.jpg

I copied Adrian Cherry's great idea to use an 8BA bolt to hold the castings that fit inside the boiler in place whilst soldering. I found a handy standoff in the screw box to hold things in place instead of fingers!

post-6972-0-42894000-1473330161_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 6