Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm. I appreciate the number may not be properly legible Stewart, but I do wonder if that combination of colour and prefix signifies an early incarnation of olive green...

It also has ED on it so yes, probably defines the start of the olive green era for engineers stock.

The one at the other end of the line is described as being red oxide livery which was the official colour name for freight stock IIRC.

It also has ED on it so yes, probably defines the start of the olive green era for engineers stock.

The one at the other end of the line is described as being red oxide livery which was the official colour name for freight stock IIRC.

No, whatever the colour the official description was freight stock red - clever because it changed with alterations in the ingredients that were available. I have never seen a BR official document use "red oxide". FSR included bauxites, but also other ingredients in the mix.

Paul Bartlett

• 2 weeks later...

Curious straight line on the left hand one, almost like they were attempting some sort of replate effect.

I thought so, if you were to scribe some lines...

The last 16T that Bachmann rusted out had different rust patterns on each side, lets hope these follow suit.

Edited by TheEngineShed

Curious straight line on the left hand one, almost like they were attempting some sort of replate effect.

Very probably, IIRC it also has its tare weight (on one side or t'other) high on the body, which is another known effect of replating.

• 2 weeks later...

But why not carefully cut the door out of the appropriate part of an Airfix brake van kit, and either use what is removed, or if you feel it is too thick, make one out of three layers of plastic card, i.e. with a middle "sandwich filling" of glazing material?

No need to cut, the door is a separate part (though as you say, it could do with thinning or replacing if it's to be seen edge-on).

Must admit ES's comment brought a wry smile - at one time I thought it was the law that you had to build it with one door ajar ;)

No need to cut, the door is a separate part (though as you say, it could do with thinning or replacing if it's to be seen edge-on).

Must admit ES's comment brought a wry smile - at one time I thought it was the law that you had to build it with one door ajar ;)

Never got around to an Airfix brake van, was into N scale early on... :rolleyes:

That said, I have a number of the later Bachy and Hornby vans and I don't fancy trying to cut a door out and reuse it. The glazing is integral forming the wall and door, suitably painted. An etch would make an open door easy, especially if it is open against wall as pictured above on John's Flickr site. You'd only have to paint the door's inside, no color matching of the exterior...

I should stay on topic. :blush: