Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2022 at 15:42, doctor quinn said:

I’ll just drop a couple of pictures of my current work in progress, reworking my 10’ wb Horwich rebuilds. I originally built them in the 80s from Mainline mineral wagons but didn’t upgrade the chassis.

B4F9018D-FBFA-44EB-A924-D3F66E4B790E.jpeg

587B6D3D-BC74-4E21-BF90-EB2A6D7F3115.jpeg

Did you use a chassis kit to do this (Parkside) please?

I have two that I'd like to convert for a little variety.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Did you use a chassis kit to do this (Parkside) please?

I have two that I'd like to convert for a little variety.

The top one is the Parkside 8 shoe LMS pattern VB chassis to model one of the4 with that brakegear.  The bottom one is the Parkside 4 shoe Morton chassis. The next tranche will also include versions using the Red Panda BR pattern 8 shoe chassis.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sitham Yard said:

Location not stated - I am puzzled looking at the original Flickr post all give the location.

Andrew

Odd, when I checked them the responses didn't appear, just the original comments of the poster.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

`The often published pic showing some early 60's 16 ton weathering & the coal merchants Comet.

52252325977_df6d88e8d3_b.jpgA FOOTPLATE TO WOODBURN STATION by Bill Watson, on Flickr

An Army (or possibly RAF? ) GS truck is visible beyond the loco; one thing I remember from the very late 1950s and the 1960s is seeing lots of military vehicles on the roads

30 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

An Army (or possibly RAF? ) GS truck is visible beyond the loco; one thing I remember from the very late 1950s and the 1960s is seeing lots of military vehicles on the roads

Woodburn, until closure, was an offloading point for one of the many Military Ranges in the area for both British & European armed forces.  E.g.

919876047_252-9T35-WestWoodburnMilitary(2).jpg.c3387dcfcd5623a4613fb56b98ee8e6c.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 17

10 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Woodburn, until closure, was an offloading point for one of the many Military Ranges in the area for both British & European armed forces.  E.g.

919876047_252-9T35-WestWoodburnMilitary(2).jpg.c3387dcfcd5623a4613fb56b98ee8e6c.jpg

I wonder which NATO ally those lorries belonged to, and how  the soldiers were meant to get there?

ISTR that Vickers had a testing ground somewhere around here for the products of Scotswood Road, based around an old quarry.

11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I wonder which NATO ally those lorries belonged to, and how  the soldiers were meant to get there?

ISTR that Vickers had a testing ground somewhere around here for the products of Scotswood Road, based around an old quarry.

...nicely polished lorries without a scratch on them, they look French to me.

...Otterburn is still in used by foreign armies to train, only they don't come by train any more.

(from the redoubtable Ernie's Railway Archive)

NBR Woodburn D5177 041

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Ridsdale, still in use by BAE (or was last time I drove past)...apparently there are still some rails set in the concrete where the sidings were...

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1248806

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Axlebox said:

...Otterburn is still in used by foreign armies to train, only they don't come by train any more.

I agree with the location of Otterburn ranges......the RAF were doing a joint exercise with the Luftwaffe, part of it was to shift a battery of guns from Salisbury Plain to Otterburn. It was lovely and sunny on Salisbury Plain as we loaded the Chinooks. The Germans didn't tell us they were going to dump us hundreds of miles away. Quite a shock to the system when we landed for shoot in the Arctic climate that never leaves Otterburn and we were in shirt sleeve order. 

Back to the train, it is a unit of the Royal Artillery, possibly just a troop as there only 4 25 pdrs on the low fits. There are both Austin and Morris 1 Ton trucks, more than likely FFW for the observation parties and the command post. The bigger trucks are Fordson 3 ton 4x4, possibly GS trucks for the BQMS stores, ammo and POL. Right at the back are some Bedford RL 25 pdr gun tractors. The lack of land rovers and age of the vehicles suggest it is a TA troop.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2022 at 21:46, Axlebox said:

NBR Woodburn D5177 041

Interesting coaches behind the loco; the first two look like one of the LNER steel panelled gangwayed articulated twins, a bit away from their usual haunts!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great photos. That heap of lost locos is amazing.

The last photo, with 25, I've never seen a slip/trap point inside another point before!

Chopped off 3-way points yes... Great for the "Prototype" thread and for anyone needing to save space.

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple, more atmosphere than detail . Kelvinbridge, West end of Glasgow,  early 1960s,

Those are actually stacks of coal higher than the wagon sides in the second pic.  Real urban coal.  

scan0005-1.jpg.2f42bbcb5c3b40e7ef42c2f0888a2427.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg.5e042cf45208f5401a3e9e4d0af4d19e.jpg

SHMD, note another trap within a point. This yard was in a tight urban location, the "headshunt" was the main line in the tunnel behind the photographer.                   

• Like 17
  • Agree 1