Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

It wasn't the intention for this thread to be purely prototype inspiration.

so I thought id document the building of a Parkside wagon.

kit is for a vacuum fitted example but I will build it as an unfitted, just need to read back through the thread so I get everything correct.

kit in the packet..

post-27-0-67641200-1368630703.jpg

parts laid out.

post-27-0-47112000-1368630734.jpg

main sides and ends glued to the floor, then sprayed with grey primer, debating on leaving it this colour as it doesnt look far off.

also glued in the brass bearings with Araldite and pulled out the wheels to EM gauge, gave those a little bit of araldite too.

post-27-0-29052400-1368630874.jpg

just need to read back on brake gear as its an area I often get confused with on these.

Mike

• Like 4

The 10' wheelbase examples were built in the mid 70s to diagram 1/194 using redundant 17'6" underframes. This meant that the bodies were also longer that the standard 16T minerals.

While on the subject of models here's a P4 one I recently put together. It's an unfitted BR clasp braked 1/108. There were about 2000 of these built with all the fittings for vacuum braking but without the cylinders or pipes. The undeframe is from my own etch with MJT catsings for the axleboxes and springs and Lanarkshire 1'81/2" Oleo buffers. It just needs screw couplings and then a trip to the paint shop.

post-13847-0-35793600-1368637580.jpg

Michael I've got the 9' Parkside underframe that came with the above wagon body that you can have to replace the incorrect 10' one if you want it? It's complete and untouched.

Justin

• Like 6

The 10' wheelbase examples were built in the mid 70s to diagram 1/194 using redundant 17'6" underframes. This meant that the bodies were also longer that the standard 16T minerals.

While on the subject of models here's a P4 one I recently put together. It's an unfitted BR clasp braked 1/108. There were about 2000 of these built with all the fittings for vacuum braking but without the cylinders or pipes. The undeframe is from my own etch with MJT catsings for the axleboxes and springs and Lanarkshire 1'81/2" Oleo buffers. It just needs screw couplings and then a trip to the paint shop.

attachicon.gif16T Unfitted Clasp Brake.JPG

Michael I've got the 9' Parkside underframe that came with the above wagon body that you can have to replace the incorrect 10' one if you want it? It's complete and untouched.

Justin

That's a lovely piece of work, Justin; I wish I had the patience (and the asbestos fingers) do carry out work like that in brass. I'll have to carry on cut'n'shutting Red Panda underframes for mine.

thanks everyone, this was just a cheap one I bought from our club shop last night. just didnt want a brown one but thats all that was there.

I can see the difference holding it up to another wagon but I think I can live with it and itll just be a generic one to fill a rake, ill be building quite a few of these soon and will make sure i get the proper grey versions.

post-27-0-29271000-1368639057.jpg

• Like 1

At least you managed to get the body square, my last build was one of the cupboard door 16 tonners and I managed to end up with one of the corners sticking right out! God knows how I managed it, although I suspect that fitting both ends to the floor first caused everything to go a little wonky.

Edited by DeathWatch

talking about the body being square, I remember years ago some warping inward so will keep an eye on that.

I cant remember the reason, the few I did many years ago in my teens I put a sheet of lead in the centre the size of the floor which may have been a reason, I also think now that thats a bit too much weight.

Ill put some lead on the underneath,just trying to remember the recommended weight, pound or half a pound an axle?

Its that long since ive built any plastic 4 wheel wagons.

this will have a sprat and winkle coupling on one end.

Ive also got these transfers which I think are Modelmaster which may do for now, but as always suggested improvements are always welcome.

the other things, even though we've done so much research in this thread I jumped in and rushed this one a bit today, I cut off the bar between axle boxes but looking back there are shots of grey ones with them and I also couldnt remember if the brake shoes are on the same side all the time, but again looking back through the pics they seem to be on either side.

post-27-0-56871500-1368643119.jpg

• Like 1

That's a lovely piece of work, Justin; I wish I had the patience (and the asbestos fingers) do carry out work like that in brass. I'll have to carry on cut'n'shutting Red Panda underframes for mine.

Thanks Brian. It did take some time to put together but not as long as it took to do the artwork which still needs tweaking. Asbestos fingers do help enormously but I find they come with lots of soldering practise anyway!

Justin

reading back I cant find a answer to what is the best shade of grey paint that people use, preferably in a rattle can.

Mike

Mike,

I don't think it really matters. Take a look at this pick of Barking Bills. Not 16 tonners, but there is as much variation in wagon grey as coach maroon...

2162966903_6e39a329c5_z.jpg?zz=1

R1195 - March by BarkingBill, on Flickr

Porcy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

reading back I cant find a answer to what is the best shade of grey paint that people use, preferably in a rattle can.

Mike

Halfords acrylic grey undercoat does it for me, perfect for weathering on top of.

Mike.

Edit,,

Also good for LMS coach roof grey.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 1

Nice photo. The unit's one of the Swindon Intercity ones that went to Scotland, isn't it? I wonder if they were allocated to the WR, or if it's simply doing mileage accumulation in passenger service before being handed over.

I notice that there are some 24.5t minerals in view, with at least one definitely in Loco Coal use.

Heaton Mersey Stockport.

photographer J.W Sutherland.

post-27-0-10602200-1369547386.jpg

Cheadle Heath area 9.9.67 Sat. 48252 crossing Mersey on coal and ballast train

post-27-0-88581700-1369547407.jpg

Cheadle Heath area 9.9.67 Sat. 92086 on coal empties crossing the Mersey

post-27-0-87336600-1369547431.jpg

Heaton Mersey 27.1.68 92091 crossing the Mersey on freight

post-27-0-87387700-1369547455.jpg

Heaton Mersey 27.1.68 48720 near shed

post-27-0-81759000-1369547576.jpg

Heaton Mersey 27.1.68 48442 working coaling plant