Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

I saw at least 3 16t minerals in the train in the background at just about 51.50 so you can't claim 'NOT a 16 tonner in sight' I'm afraid Duncan. :beee:

Dave.

...that legitimizes its inclusion then...thanks Dave!

'Merton Park Studios'- there's a name that resonates- or perhaps not..

I missed the sixteen-tonners, but there was a wonderful selection of 5-plankers. The two SR PMVs shows that they were finished in crud long before the 1970s, and what was that Ferry flat (in the rear left of the final frames?

That gun had a big magazine, didn't it?

...no wonder nowt ever leaves his work bench :O ...

Sez the Jim McIvor of Railway modelling. How many of your wagons are only painted/lettered/weathered on one side only? :O

Should we be starting a new thread...'NOT 16t mineral'...or is it about time we became a 'special interest' group...just a thought.

Go on then...

That gun had a big magazine, didn't it?

That fella must have been the worst shot in the history of TV baddies. First he accidentally shoots his oppo in the back... then despite having more bullets than Bruce Willis, fails to hit any of the rozzers.

Maybe his "piece" fired the slowest bullets ever known?  At least we hear him shout the immortal line, "I wouldn't try anything coppers"! If only it had been the perfect, "You'll never take me alive... coppers!"

So anyone any Idea of the location of the goods/marshalling yard? Can't have been to many in the London area with overhead tram wires.

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Could it have been Hither Green or Bricklayer's Arms? One or two of the wagons, notably the 13t open and the SR Banana van, seemed to be ex-works, perhaps indicating the proximity of New Cross Gate shops.

The overhead looks more like the stuff that the Southern Region installed for yard use than anything used for main-line use.

I was trying to work out what the loco was, as well- perhaps a 'W' class?

Could it have been Hither Green or Bricklayer's Arms? One or two of the wagons, notably the 13t open and the SR Banana van, seemed to be ex-works, perhaps indicating the proximity of New Cross Gate shops.

The overhead looks more like the stuff that the Southern Region installed for yard use than anything used for main-line use.

I think you may be right about the general location but not about the motive power; a W was a big 2-6-4 tank! Going on what can be discerned of the tender (straight steps, rear handrail with knobs rather than plain bar), my reckoning is that it's more likely to be an ex-SECR C class. Immedieately before the chap with the gun comes a cropper there is what appears to be a ferry flat, yes; a little before that was a rarity; a 'P' prefixed 5 plank open...

Adam

Can't read any markings on it but that ferry flat looks very French to me, mainly on the strength of the axleboxes. There are a few HMRS photos of that kind of wagon south of London, I'll look them out and see where they were taken.

Anyone notice the 5 plank in grey with the 'P' number which he ducked under? That must be fairly unusual.

Anyone notice the 5 plank in grey with the 'P' number which he ducked under? That must be fairly unusual.

It has gone on the to do list...

Over painting of the faded lettering could be a challenge...

post-508-0-54072800-1378222195_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

I didn't think about a tank loco. I was trying to work out what class of loco had oval buffers on its tender.

Strange that it was pretending to be one of them new-fangled diseasels.

And a good representation of cars of the era too :D.  I make that two Minis, a brace of BMC 11/1300s (one a Morris), An oldish Hillman Minx/Singer Gazelle, a Super Minx/Vogue of similar era, a 105E Ford Anglia, a Mk1 Cortina late enough to have the 'Aeroflow' vents in the C pillars, a Mk2 Consul which is, I think, pre low-line making it an early example, a Vauxhall Victor FC101 and some flash git has got themselves what must be a near new HB Viva.  Not a Morris Minor in sight, although that might be one lurking at the far left, beyond the Anglia and what might be another 1100.

I've been seeing a lot of pictures of Class 20s with 16t mineral wagons, not a class I associate with these freight flows and especially not when the 20s are in BR blue with TOPS numbers.  A selection below of some of the more atmospheric.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8259910009/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/8644293327/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7800803070/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5537902634/

3600185479_550d03e013_z.jpg?zz=1
1979-07-06-005 by Michael Laing, on Flickr

3600996996_9637cf5531_z.jpg?zz=1
1979-07-06-006 by Michael Laing, on Flickr

And this one's included as it shows a double-header 20 with both running nose first: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56249446@N06/7888248740/

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 4