Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

Just had this link sent by Axlebox. Two working Claytons in the same pic.  Ta very much.

2168764686_3a88d766e9_z.jpgClayton No1 End by The jannie, on Flickr

and a few more on this fella's page @;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcbain/sets/72157603636062902/

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Metr0Land,

The second shot, with 15224 in it, has me searching for its history. A Class 12 built at Ashford and based on the "standard" 350 Shunt. 15224 is the sole survivor.

That last phot is intriguing!
The "16tonner" looks way too big, out of proportion and "different".
The fishplates are all long 6 hole types (They remind me of France for some reason.), albeit with 2 - seemingly randomly chosen - not being used!

Thanks again,
Kev.

I can't remember where i got this picture - I scanned it from a long lost magazine.  If any reader could shed some light on it . . . .

attachicon.gifjinty_freight.jpg

As David stated above, 47365 was a Patricroft engine and the location is, as you might then have guessed, Patricroft. I knew it well being born and brought up there.

The signal box on the background is Eccles Junction, Eccles and Manchester being off towards the right, with the coal yard in the background. The lines from Manchester split just to the right, those to Liverpool passing under the photographer and those between the Jinty and the coal yard head north west, the Tyldesley loop, to Wigan. Patricroft loco depot was between these lines, off to the left.

Eccles Junction signal box was a bit of a magnet for locomotives. There's a head shunt and buffer stop against the end wall. The box was rammed by an errant loco in 1936, then rebuilt it was safe until 1963 when tender first Black 5 45252 rammed it again, yet another rebuild.

The photo was taken on 18th April 1962, credited to B.W.L. Brooksbank, it appears in Paul Shackcloth's 'Salford in the Days of Steam', (2004).

As David stated above, 47365 was a Patricroft engine and the location is, as you might then have guessed, Patricroft. I knew it well being born and brought up there.

The signal box on the background is Eccles Junction, Eccles and Manchester being off towards the right, with the coal yard in the background. The lines from Manchester split just to the right, those to Liverpool passing under the photographer and those between the Jinty and the coal yard head north west, the Tyldesley loop, to Wigan. Patricroft loco depot was between these lines, off to the left.

Eccles Junction signal box was a bit of a magnet for locomotives. There's a head shunt and buffer stop against the end wall. The box was rammed by an errant loco in 1936, then rebuilt it was safe until 1963 when tender first Black 5 45252 rammed it again, yet another rebuild.

The photo was taken on 18th April 1962, credited to B.W.L. Brooksbank, it appears in Paul Shackcloth's 'Salford in the Days of Steam', (2004).

Like Arthur says...   http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2213645      Ben has thousands(!) of interesting railway photos posted on Geograph including shots from the 1940s and 1950s and many closed stations. 

Bill

And there's a lot of Mr Brooksbanks photos taken within 10Km of Eccles,

here:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=55450643

He certainly seems to have covered most of the country .

P    

Edit: Crosspost.

Edited by Porcy Mane

Thanks for the links to Bens photos chaps, that's just cost me an hour and I haven't finished yet....

A small correction to Bens caption, the photo is looking eastwards, the lines to the right heading into Manchester.

Indulge me whilst I reminisce and link two of the photos on Bens site. The second photo shows, over the bridge parapet, Eccles station. A rather ornate LNWR wooden structure. Around 1969 it was burnt to the ground in an arson attack by two local youths who were caught and served some time at HM's pleasure.

On page 4, photo 10, there is a photograph of Lancashire Steels Irlam works, some three miles to the west of the station, I worked there in 1973. Whilst there, a very odd looking, rather simple, guy joined the gang I worked in. Had you wanted to cast an imbecile hill billy this guy looked the part. One night shift we were sat together, waiting for something, chatting. How it came out I don't recall but he told me that he'd been one of the lads who'd burned the station down, he still seemed to think it quite funny. I cast my gaze around at the flames leaping and flaring out of the surrounding soaking pits and said to him, 'you must feel quite at home here then'. He thought that hilarious and I became his best mate.....

A few weeks later we were both trapped for a couple of hours in a reheating furnace when the door mechanism failed. That's another story, I was just glad we were friends.....

• Like 1

Dodworth Colliery doesn't seem to get mentioned much

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodger5450/7618078176/in/set-72157630684238030

Amazing to think that the last image linked was taken from the signal box window.

36 years later  (2007) the 16 tonners have been replaced by bushes and the colliery by anonymous industrial units that employ few.

post-508-0-07810500-1430411717.jpg

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane

Love the way the MGR wagons have been loaded until there's just no more room...................

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

Some on this page along with other wagon pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95430950@N07/sets/72157638898289125/

7978035570_56f6773c0d_z.jpgKearsley Electric Locos Number 3 and 4 - 10th August, 1975 by Deadman's Handle, on Flickr

4857695027_d5cb8bff9e_z.jpgApproaching Tinsley from the front of the brake van - Early 1978 by Deadman's Handle, on Flickr

Remember all the frothing just before the Bachmann Covhops came on stream?  I bet no-one expected a consist like this?

4262707927_40f10960c3_z.jpg?zz=18E08 arriving at Shepcote Lane - 6th March 1981 by Deadman's Handle, on Flickr

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold