Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

How Big is Newcastleton - any chance it'll be exhibited down south?

david 

the layout is 28 x 10 ft and it would be nice to exhibit down south but that will be a committee job, we did have interest from a club in yorkshire but it came to nothing unfortunately.

gary

OK then... here's my first offering: D5094 heads north up the 1 in 75 from "Newton Duns" with the 1.45pm from Carlisle, passing D6850 coasting downgrade with a Millerhil-Kingmoor goods.

post-19366-0-83936800-1377806116_thumb.jpg

Alasdair

• Like 7

OK then... here's my first offering: D5094 heads north up the 1 in 75 from "Newton Duns" with the 1.45pm from Carlisle, passing D6850 coasting downgrade with a Millerhil-Kingmoor goods.

attachicon.gifP3311210_3.JPG

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair

Nice looking layout and very nice landscaping as well.

Regards

David

• 4 months later...

Morning All

This is a great thread in my opinion, but it seems to have run out of steam, pardon the pun.

How about some new contributions to get it up and running again, what do you say there must be lots of great models just waiting to be shown.

Regards

David

I would tend to agree.  I'm just in the unlikely position of fettling not one, but two, D49s that were WR performers circa '61.  Yes, I know it's out of my comfort zone, but you know how it is - sometimes a diversion is good to restart the modelling mojo.

When these are in a condition worth sharing I'll try for a few posed shots of them.  62712 and 62718 for those who understand these things :blum:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have put up some new pictures in Whitrope and Slitrigg, which includes 43000 and 43023, both of which worked out of Carlisle in the mid 60s

Also, here is 60534 Irish Elegance at Whitrope and again a close up shot of the same loco at Whinburgh.

post-11545-0-29082500-1392223988.jpgpost-11545-0-14780800-1392223951.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As this thread had gone a bit quiet, I thought I would upload a pic of my scratchbuilt N Gauge J37. This is based on a Farish 4MT Mogul chassis which has been stripped of cylinders and valve-gear etc. The tender drive has had the PCB and DCC socket removed to make the mechanism lower. Superstructure is mostly plastikard, it is reasonably accurately to scale within the limitations of the chassis. Just lettering, final detailing, coal in the tender and a crew and it will be done.

It has taken me a week to get this far and has been a lot of fun, and realistically it was the only way I'd ever be likely to get a J37 in N!

roy

post-4469-0-92503900-1399309580_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my latest project completed and running on Glendevon at the Glenrothes show at the weekend. the loco received some favorable comments including one from an ex Thornton fireman who was usually on B1's and could just remember seeing some glens. he did say however that the loco looked too clean to him. The model is of 62471 Glen Falloch as it appeared on a rail tour which visited the border branches on the 4th april 1959. The loco ran very well throughout the weekend. The motor/gear combination as the loco runs a little faster than my other Glen which is 62496 Glen Loy. 

post-10572-0-96278200-1400166514_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-53297000-1400166551_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Here is my latest project completed and running on Glendevon at the Glenrothes show at the weekend. the loco received some favorable comments including one from an ex Thornton fireman who was usually on B1's and could just remember seeing some glens. he did say however that the loco looked too clean to him. The model is of 62471 Glen Falloch as it appeared on a rail tour which visited the border branches on the 4th april 1959. The loco ran very well throughout the weekend. The motor/gear combination as the loco runs a little faster than my other Glen which is 62496 Glen Loy. 

attachicon.gifglen falloch 1.jpg

attachicon.gifglen falloch 2.jpg

Hi Kingfisher24

Great photo and locomotive.

May I ask where you got the driver or fireman figure looking over the tender side.

Regards

David

Alisdair

The chassis is an old triang L1 chassis with an airfix 5 pole open frame motor and triang/Hornby worm and gear. The loco runs really well and even at low speeds there is no stuttering, i am however going to fit pickups to the tender to improve pick up as at the moment pick up is only through the drivers.

David

The figures on the tender from the Bachmann 1950 train crew set (36-407).

Kingfisher

Edited by kingfisher24

Thanks, Kingfisher - I built a Gem "Glen" many years ago with a similar chassis, but I don't think the motor is a 5-pole.  Certainly recommend the tender pickups, though !

Regards -

Alasdair

Thanks, Kingfisher - I built a Gem "Glen" many years ago with a similar chassis, but I don't think the motor is a 5-pole. Certainly recommend the tender pickups, though !

Regards -

Alasdair

Well thats the tender pickups fitted - i think on the next glen i will try a differant chassis with the motor etc further forward so that i can model the cab interior. Using the triang chassis is all well and good and if a 5 pole motor is used but the only drawback is the lack of cab interior. If the tender were higher this wouldnt be as obvious but a good deal of the cab is on view. Time to put the thinking/idea cap on i think.