Your Waverley Route Models

Guest Max Stafford

Just to keep up to date, my J37 is now finished and trundling round my layout (After adding fine fishing shot inside the boiler to add weight).

It doesn't stand very close scrutiny and certainly isn't in the same league as that beautiful "Glen" above, but I am happy and it will certainly find a place running on my Whitrope Siding layout.

Roy

post-4469-0-16306700-1400581771_thumb.jpg

post-4469-0-21260100-1400581799_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just to keep up to date, my J37 is now finished and trundling round my layout (After adding fine fishing shot inside the boiler to add weight).

It doesn't stand very close scrutiny and certainly isn't in the same league as that beautiful "Glen" above, but I am happy and it will certainly find a place running on my Whitrope Siding layout.

Roy

roy

the loco looks convincing to me and the most important thing i always get told is. as long as you are happy with it that is all that matters. just a thought, i made my j37 using a Bachmann j37 as a basis by using the chassis and boiler as a basis as the two locos had the same wheelbase and similar boilers. would this be possible in N using the new farish j39 as a basis.

Thank you for your words of encouragement Kingfisher24.

If anything as the Farish N Gauge J39 is tender driven, I would think the conversion might even be easier.

Trouble is they are such exquisite models in their own right I just don't think I could bring myself to put one "under the knife"!

Regards

Roy

Just a short note to remind you that HAZELBANK Graeme Moyes' layout exhibited by Stirling and Clackmannan club will be at Perth show June 28/29th  at Dewars Rinks. As a reminder; this is a layout that appeared in Hornby magazine a few months ago and was an extensively rebuilt, resignalled, 'rescenic-ed' layout originally built as Caley (by East Kilbride club) and rebuilt by us as NB. It imagines that the Waverley DIDN'T close and we are here with an important secondary route to Edinburgh in the late 1970s and early 80s. It is DCC fitted and all stock is sound fitted. We run scale length trains and use 3 links couplings in the main. Some of the quarry stock runs with Kadees to allow hand free shunting. Come and see us and have a 'blether'. Perth is a great show!

post-657-0-68981700-1400652881.jpg

post-657-0-46668300-1400652889.jpg

post-657-0-93568600-1400652899.jpg

post-657-0-47711100-1400652911.jpg

post-657-0-14651600-1400652920.jpg

post-657-0-45983000-1400652931.jpg

post-657-0-84104100-1400652938.jpg

Edited by gridwatcher
  • Like 3

Six locomotives of the stud are detailed, chipped and ready for use (when I pull my finger out and finish the layout, or at least get to the point of being able to run trains.)

First locos which will be used for the 1959 scenario:

Allocated to St Margarets shed:

J39 number 54795

14310781192_4c73eda769_s.jpg

J39 number 64975

14126013840_053a1d8168_s.jpg

Ivatt 2MT 46462

14309295981_b3e642134e_s.jpg

Allocated to Carlisle Upperby shed:

Ivatt 2MT 46489

14312032274_d5b5663770_s.jpg

Locos which will be used for the 1963 scenario:

Allocated to St Margarets shed:
B1 61244 - Strang Steel

14309297661_d65cf641cf_s.jpg

A3 60041 - Salmon Trout

14125977629_4ec98eb2a2_s.jpg

All are fitted with Zimo MX622N decoders and run really sweetly. I'm loving these Zimo decoders.

Cheers
Dave

• Like 1

Not for a while yet due to other priorities, but top candidate for my next layout actually is Steele Road, have already done a fair bit of planning with it in mind.

Roy

P.S. Intended in reply to Richard's post above.

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 2

Not for a while yet due to other priorities, but top candidate for my next layout actually is Steele Road, have already done a fair bit of planning with it in mind.

Roy

P.S. Intended in reply to Richard's post above.

What would be great would be if a group of modellers could get together and build a really epic Waverley Route model, a bit like Roy Jackson has done with Retford.  I'm thinking Riccarton Junction around 1958, possibly N gauge (4mm would be absolutely huge), no compromises on platform length or track plan. Anyone got a really big room going spare?

• Like 1

What would be great would be if a group of modellers could get together and build a really epic Waverley Route model, a bit like Roy Jackson has done with Retford.  I'm thinking Riccarton Junction around 1958, possibly N gauge (4mm would be absolutely huge), no compromises on platform length or track plan. Anyone got a really big room going spare?

Hiow big would it need to be in N?

I'm wondering what you would set as scenic breaks.  These days the afforestation means the trackbed effectively disappears behind a curtain of trees in every direction once it leaves the station limits.  The natural curve lends itself to an L-shape, and northbound you could 'lose' the line in cutting at the first sheep bridge towards Phaupknowe cottage.

Southbound I'm struggling to work out where to make the break.

Co-ordinates 353780, 598050 on Old Maps.  I was using 1923's 1:10560 Roxburghshire OS.  

Edited by 'CHARD

I'm wondering what you would set as scenic breaks.   

Just been looking at the location on Google satellite and I see what you mean.  The Border Counties branch doesn't make life any easier - that's two lines you have to 'lose' at that end and the southern approach to Riccarton is rather distinctive. Bigger room needed - say 40' x 12' to do it justice in 'N'? There must be a cutting somewhere if you go south far enough...

You're right, the Border Counties is a devil.  The reverse curve away from Riccarton would be fine, as you can lose the main line beneath the flanks of Arnton Fell as you curve round past the sheep circle, but the line to Saughtree is the elephant in the room.

I've bought lottery tickets. If I win, this project happens even if we have to go to 60' x 20'. Not sure a Farish V2 would manage to complete one circuit of a 60 x 20 layout before something in the mechanism wore out, but we'll worry about that later.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just moved my Whitrope Siding layout to another room where it is easier to photograph, so I hope people won't mind a couple more pictures.

Firstly the Class 26 on a stopping train heading south, bound for Carlisle, comprising Gresley coaches and some "tail traffic".

Second picture from slightly closer to the signal box gives us a closer look at 61244,"Strang Steel" heading north with a fully fitted freight, passing same the passenger train. The J39, having completed a banking duty earlier is held in the siding awaiting a clear road to return to Shankend.

The sheep-crossing is used as a scenic break, and I am planning to fit a better one shortly. It is of course much further from the signal box in reality, but my layout is only 7ft long in total!

Roy

post-4469-0-70049200-1404980598_thumb.jpg

post-4469-0-35500800-1404981116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good afternoon Chaps

I am currently reseaching  a suitable locomotive to allow me to rename and number a Hornby B1 (R3000) This is the named version with the smoke box number plate in the higher position. I am looking for a named B1 as I suspect removing the existing "Sir Harold Mitchell" name plates will leave marks on the body shell. So far I ve only found photos of 61244 "Strang Steel" on the Waverley, and as the knowledgeable amongst you will know she has a lower position smoke box number plate. The period l m trying to cover is the mid 1950s. I understand that St .Margarets had five named B1s by the early 1960s
Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

Good afternoon Chaps

I am currently reseaching  a suitable locomotive to allow me to rename and number a Hornby B1 (R3000) This is the named version with the smoke box number plate in the higher position. I am looking for a named B1 as I suspect removing the existing "Sir Harold Mitchell" name plates will leave marks on the body shell. So far I ve only found photos of 61244 "Strang Steel" on the Waverley, and as the knowledgeable amongst you will know she has a lower position smoke box number plate. The period l m trying to cover is the mid 1950s. I understand that St .Margarets had five named B1s by the early 1960s
Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers Bob C

Hi Bob,

The only ones I remember seeing on the route are these 4 - not sure where their front plates were located though.

61007 Klipspringer

61221 Sir Alexander Erskine-Hill

61244 Strang Steel

61245 Murray of Elibank

Regards

Howie

Haymarket A4 no idea if she ran on the Waverley

attachicon.gif15.jpg

attachicon.gif16.jpg

attachicon.gif17.jpg

One instance when it travelled the WR was on 5 June 1965 when it was at the head of a Scottish Locomotive Preservation Fund special. The train had originated in Edinburgh and travelled via the ECML and the N&C to Carlisle behind A3 no 60052 Prince Palatine. The A3 had unfortunately failed at Carlisle and 60027 had been hurriedly commandeered to take over for the journey back to Edinburgh via the Waverley route.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/singleimage.php?id=30944

Regards

Howie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob,

The only ones I remember seeing on the route are these 4 - not sure where their front plates were located though.

61007 Klipspringer

61244 Strang Steel

61245 Murray of Elibank

Regards

Howie

Hi Howie

Many thanks for the info, smashing

Regards

Bob C

Haymarket A4 no idea if she ran on the Waverley

attachicon.gif15.jpg

attachicon.gif16.jpg

attachicon.gif17.jpg

Hi micklner

Very nice photo and model as well.

As Flamingo has stated A4 60027 Merlin did run over the Waverley Route on a special.

I have also see a photo of her on Carlisle Canel MPD so I assume she got there via the Waverley Route.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

61007 Klipspringer

61244 Strang Steel

61245 Murray of Elibank

Regards

Howie

Another few B1's to add to the above ,

61029 Chamois

61242 Alexander Reith Gray on an RCTS special July 1961

61038 Blacktail with a breakdown train in Newcastleton yard

Stewart .

• RMweb Premium

Another few B1's to add to the above ,

61029 Chamois

61242 Alexander Reith Gray on an RCTS special July 1961

61038 Blacktail with a breakdown train in Newcastleton yard

Stewart .

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the help. I ve gone through the list you kindly provided and 61221 Sir Alexander Erskine-Hill seems to be the only loco with the higher smoke box number plate, so l be sourcing suitable plates shortly

Bob.C

• 11 months later...

Was at my model railway club last night and took some clips of newcastleton.

Please excuse the lack of signals and the fact that yhe freight has a brake at each end (they only ran with a brake at both ends when goig north). Also the lack of lamps on the b1 as was only test running. I used my iphone to take the clips as an experiment to see how it will turn out, im not too convinced with the clarity but better than nothing and it does show trains moving.

Heres the first with b1 61354 coasting through the station with a freight for carlisle.

• Like 2