Bachmann BR Std. Class 3 photos?

josh993

Well, you're right, of course, I would like a lined black one.

Only trouble is, as far as I can make out, by around 1960/61, all the W.R.-shedded examples were green, lined or unlined, except one - 82044, which had a non-standard lined black livery, the only one to be finished that way. There was no lining on the bunker and the number was under the cab windows. It was shedded at Barrow Road around that time, and was definitely photographed at Bath Green Park...

According to the RCTS books 82008 retained lined black to the end and also retained the early crest very late too. Certainly it still had the early crest in 1959.

My N gauge one is going to be renumbered as 82008 as this is probably the longest lasting livery of any of the WR allocated class members. Also lined black was something of a rarity on the WR so I am opting for that.

Thanks very much for the link to the other thread and its pictures. They weren't posted when I last looked in. The photos are indeed useful and the model looks very neat.

Well said! I await a weathered version, it's hard to beat the best Bachmann weathering as on 73050...

Maybe Bachmann have been so good at weathering that... this might be hard to beat with a hard-working 3MT?

I show what I think is the best weathering by any RTR... equalled by the Ivatt 4MT perhaps;

Surviving film of Southern 3MTs show them not as grubby as NE ... but maybe the speed with which they shifted carriages moved the dirt?

post-7929-12600584208823_thumb.jpg

Hattons have run out of the NE shedded one. However they now have the Southern one in stock.

Just my luck - As a SR modeller I wish I had known about the SR shedded variant...mellow.gif

I bought the NE shedded one figuring I'd never spot the difference - so I guess I'll now wind up with at least two Std Class 3's rolleyes.gif

Well, you're right, of course, I would like a lined black one.

Only trouble is, as far as I can make out, by around 1960/61, all the W.R.-shedded examples were green, lined or unlined, except one - 82044, which had a non-standard lined black livery, the only one to be finished that way. There was no lining on the bunker and the number was under the cab windows. It was shedded at Barrow Road around that time, and was definitely photographed at Bath Green Park...

According to the RCTS books 82008 retained lined black to the end and also retained the early crest very late too. Certainly it still had the early crest in 1959.

My N gauge one is going to be renumbered as 82008 as this is probably the longest lasting livery of any of the WR allocated class members. Also lined black was something of a rarity on the WR so I am opting for that.

A bit more info on 82008. This loco went for a major overhaul at Swindon just before 82007 (which was the first 3MT to recieve green livery). For this reason it continued carrying lined black with early crest until very late. It had its next major overhaul at Swindon in 1962. I have seen a photo of 82008 on the Cambrian in 1963 in green livery with late crest so I think it is safe to assume that it received green in 1962.

Thus for your period of 1960-61, 82008 is perfect as a lined black example of the class. I have a photo of it here at Worcester where it was based in 1959 and 1960 showing the lined black livery still with early crest.

post-887-12599204051696_thumb.jpg

This model also features an opening smokebox door.

Look inside and joy of joys there is a tubeplate moulding!

However it is virtually flush with the smokebox door, leaving no void at all for the smokebox, or blastpipe details. I guess such a feature would compromise decoder space.

As on the 4mt, I think the opening door feature makes the door slightly too thick. I still think this is a pointless feature unless they can also provide worthwhile detail inside!

Notwithstanding, this model represents a significant move forward for Bachmann steamers (unlike the 4mt). Cab detail is superb, and the finish and lining is very good.

Turned drivers and a less utilitarian return crank would make this near perfect.

Looking forward to a detailed review of 3440!

N

This model also features an opening smokebox door.

I think you are dead right, and the 'handing' of drivers is the next step.

Then we'll want reversing levers rising and falling! And someone will want realistic sound. It'll never happen!

Rob (who rode on coal-fired 4-8-4s on the NZ Midland Line)

p.s. is there a 3440 in the wings? My apologies I'm new here.

I think you are dead right, and the 'handing' of drivers is the next step.

Then we'll want reversing levers rising and falling! And someone will want realistic sound. It'll never happen!

Rob (who rode on coal-fired 4-8-4s on the NZ Midland Line)

p.s. is there a 3440 in the wings? My apologies I'm new here.

Real core plugs going so you can see the cylinder fly off too :P

That looks a veyr nice little loco. I am particularly impressed by the rendition of the triple lining. I seriously hope that the N gauge version it up to the same standard (and released soon). :)

Does anyone have info on the N gauge version release time?

The Farish website says March/April.

• RMweb Gold

I think Rob is refering too the fact that Rm web is meant to be non commercial(?) and the fact that Redgate models sounds like a model shop(is it out of intrest?)

then again I could be miles of.

Will

Hmmmm - don't want to drag this totally off topic but you can see from my profile that I'm not a model shop (I wish!) I live on Redgate Close if you need a clue to where I got my forum name from laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm looking for one of the NE versions. Apparently there is more due to arrive in the UK in January of all versions. This came from a very reliable source (trader!!)

if you mean 82016 give Gareth at Trains4U a ring (forum sponsor) they had some on Friday wink.gif

Just chipped mine, and have given a test run.

Admittedly this was with a Hornby decoder, but there is something peculiar about this loco. As others have stated, it is not a particularly smooth runner and the BEMF whilst keeping it steady, doesn't seem to have a great deal of oomph when load is applied. May swap for a Lenz or Bachmann decoder later to see if there is a major difference.

Mine does waddle slightly (there is a fair bit of compensation on the centre driver) and there appears to be some tightness which will hopefully ease with further running.

Close inspection of the driver tyres does show some uneven-ness with the anodising (which I have had on other Bachmann locos). This makes it rather a noisy runner.

There is a blooming great cap next to the decoder socket, should I have a pop at taking this out?

Still, all this said, it is still a beautiful model!

N

• RMweb Gold

My 82016, a long time Eastleigh (71A) engine, arrived today. Not had a chance to run it yet, but on looks alone I'm pleased with it.I'm hoping one day to recreate a photo I have somewhere of a late fifties Eastleigh to Totton school train featuring one of these locos and a rake of three ancient LSWR coaches. I'll have to build these first though:

post-6683-12600394197722_thumb.jpg

post-6683-12600394627191_thumb.jpg

One day soon(ish)...

How much room is there for a decoder?, room for a Bachmann 3 function, or are we talking Hornby/TCS M1 kinda size?

There's room in the smokebox for a Bachmann or Lenz chip.

Would be interested of any other DCC experiences with this loco,

N

Just chipped mine, and have given a test run.

There is a blooming great cap next to the decoder socket, should I have a pop at taking this out?

Still, all this said, it is still a beautiful model!

N

Interesting stuff, N, because I have yet to see a definitive answer to the 'cap' or suppressor (or capacitor?) issue. The symptoms you describe are similar to many new engines, I just 'chipped' an A3 'St Gatien' which was a fairly good runner on DC slightly worse with R8249, and removed the cap thing (displaying great ignorance) and bridged the wires and it ran just as poorly as before, smooth and quiet but poor low-speed and stalling.

So apologies for going a bit 'off-subject'... I am currently favouring factory-fitted DCC over my own... and FWIW the A3 motor and wiring is a very tight fit in the boiler. Some say that suppressors don't make any difference either way, so I'll be interested in replies and cannot offer wisdom as to the 'cap' removal.

Rob

Archived