Bachmann BR Std. Class 3 photos?

josh993

Guest TomTank

I think I'm going to have to get one of these, I didn't realise they were used on the NE.

What duties would they have been seen doing, Morning train, light passenger?

I'm pleased to see Bachmann attempting to catch up with Hornby, both in the level of cab detail, & the inclusion of the cream line, a first for their range, I think... The only criticism I could offer, from looking at the pics, is that the red lining could be a bit finer when compared to the grey;- it's only a minor niggle though, as this does look a fantastic model of a useful prototype....

• RMweb Premium

Picked up 82029 (which conveniently enough, finished its career on the Southern Region) today; all it needs is a late crest, extra lamp brackets and some weathering and it'll fit in nicely at South Pimlico! Lovely model, but not a particularly great runner at present, methinks it needs a good running in session as it's a bit stiff at slow speeds.

• RMweb Gold

As Colin says, 82029 finished her career at Nine Elms and I saw her on ECS duties at Clapham Junction in December 1966. My example is (allegedly) on its way from Hattons and I will be putting a later crest on, plus copious weathering to reflect her final months in service. Didn't know about the differing lamp irons, though. Hope it's an easy job!

• RMweb Premium

As Colin says, 82029 finished her career at Nine Elms and I saw her on ECS duties at Clapham Junction in December 1966. My example is (allegedly) on its way from Hattons and I will be putting a later crest on, plus copious weathering to reflect her final months in service. Didn't know about the differing lamp irons, though. Hope it's an easy job!

I saw 82029 once or twice in early '67 (also on Waterloo-Clapham Junction ECS) and again in Nine Elms shed yard a week before the end of steam - it was incredibly filthy! Someone had scrawled "End of LSWR Steam" in the dirt on both tank sides IIRC. Nearby was Ivatt 2MT 41319 which was really clean, I thought at the time that it might have been chosen for preservation, it looked so smart.

Another regular duty for the last two 3MTs (82019/29) was the "Kenny Belle" service from Clapham to Kensington (Olympia), the stock was normally a "scratch" rake which included some of the very last 63' Mk1 non-corridor coaches, one of which was S1000S, the plastic-bodied rebuild.

Hi Tom,

I'm sure they had a variety of duties but they were used for passenger services on the Border Counties line.

They gravitated into Yorkshire 82027-9 seeing use from Malton, York and Scarborough in the early 1960s before going to the Southern, while 82026 left Scarborough for a 9 month spell at Low Moor and Copley Hill before the Southern.

• RMweb Premium

I founs another problem with my 82029 - the initial stiffness has improved with running in, but the loco is very light-footed, especially while working bunker first. I did discover that the spring on the front bogie was misaligned, causing the front drivers to be almost lifted clear of the track; even after sorting this out, the loco still slips badly on 4 coaches (Bachy Mk1s/Bulleids) plus a SR utility van while traversing a 3' curve.

I'm reluctant to add weight in case this causes strain on the motor/gears - anyone any ideas?

I will be getting one for 56C - there's a fantastic photograph of one with an Ivatt 2MT waiting patiently outside the shed on Flikr that I'd like to recreate. smile.gif

82029 will get renumbered to that locomotive, if I can work out what that number is...!

Ivatt 2MT = Standard 3. Is that what you really meant?????????????

Richard

...the loco still slips badly on 4 coaches (Bachy Mk1s/Bulleids) plus a SR utility van while traversing a 3' curve.

I'm reluctant to add weight in case this causes strain on the motor/gears - anyone any ideas?

Try it with both pony trucks removed, to see if it will then do better pushing whatever maximum load you require it to move on whatever is the tightest curve or most severe gradient in your layout.

If that is satisfactory, then backing off the spring pressure on both pony trucks, and ensuring that the wheelsets are free to lift off the rail and are free rolling will probably be enough. Bachmann often put excess spring pressure on carrying wheels which is good for trackholding, but limits traction; also if the pivot screw is done up tightly on some models the bogie frame prevents the wheels lifting off the rail. As always some trials may be required to find the best set up for the loco and your track.

But if the loco on driven wheels alone will not do it, then weight it has to be. I have had extra weight in all sorts of Bachmann long term with no ill effect. WDs at 450 -500g (nearly double the weight they come out of the box) are still running sweetly after seven years. Just out of interest what weight is it? The Fairburn 4MTT model was 370g as received as a comparison, and performs as well as it looks; no trouble moving a dozen Bach mk1s on a level 30" minimum radius track

• RMweb Gold

I managed to find some time to unpack and test run my example of 82029 last night and my experiences were similar to Colin's. It was slightly jittery straight out of the box and needed a fair amount of power from the (DC) controller before it would move. The mechanism is not particularly smooth and quiet and there was also a slight waddle. I ran it on my rolling road for about 20 minutes in each direction and it improved slightly, although the waddle was accentuated. This is destined to be DCC fitted and I may therefore give it another session on the rollling road befoer I install the decoder.

For the record, I didn't try the loco with a trailing load, but all driving wheels appeared to be in contact with the rail head. However, the downward spring force on the pony trucks is definitely the highest I've had on any r-t-r loco.

For all that it is a beautiful model that faithfully captures the looks and character of the prototype. All I need to do now is renumber my 4MT tank to 80012 to make a pair of Nine Elms stalwarts during the last days of SR steam.

• RMweb Gold

Mine has arrived from a certian Liverpool shop with the rest of my model railway Christmas items. I have put mine through her paces and displays none of the issues with some expressed here and straight from the box was smooth & quiet. The only problem was that the sandpipes were set very low and caused both derailments and a short circuit. (altough my poor track laying may have been a factor in that) The pony truck springing seems fine. It hasn't been given a heavy load but copes very well with 2 Bachmann MK1s and certainly seems to be able to haul more.

Well mines gone back to its box until December 25th.

Guest Max Stafford

A very good looking model. I have given mine a good running in and although fine once on the go, she is not the slowest or smoothest of starters. This appears to be down to a tight spot in the drive somwhe which I have yet to locate. Other than that, she's fine on the move

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I agree, it looks like one of their best yet. These are pretty much one of my favourite steam locos and the black one fits the bill perfectly for me, it will probably be the only one I shall get (for the OO fleet) and renumber it to 82044 (seen at Bath Green Park on through workings off the S&D). I don't think I'll get a lined green one, as I've got a Kemilway one in that livery (82041).

Come on Captain. You know you want a lined black version really. Much better than that Swin(e)don livery tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif (continuation of my thread from RMweb 3 on the standard 3 tank I built from a DJH kit as 82029. Can't find the banging head against wall icon!!!!)

• RMweb Gold

Come on Captain. You know you want a lined black version really. Much better than that Swin(e)don livery

Well, you're right, of course, I would like a lined black one.

Only trouble is, as far as I can make out, by around 1960/61, all the W.R.-shedded examples were green, lined or unlined, except one - 82044, which had a non-standard lined black livery, the only one to be finished that way. There was no lining on the bunker and the number was under the cab windows. It was shedded at Barrow Road around that time, and was definitely photographed at Bath Green Park...

• RMweb Gold

I'm awaiting the lined green version that was quite prevalent around Cardiff, two gritty pictures around Barry http://www.whamart.co.uk/photogallery/gwd%20barry_1.htm . Now please do tell me if those aren't actually green ones! I know most of them will be!

Craig,

The RCTS book says that 82022 was allocated to Barry from June 1955 to September 1956 (going thence to Newton Abbot). According to the same book, she acquired green livery by April 1958, and lined green definitely by 29/9/63.

83036 was at Barry from April 1955 to March 1958 (going thence to Radyr, and then to Bath Road in April 1958).She acquired lined green livery in October 1958.

There were other allocations to Barry - PM me if you haven't got the RCTS book and would like more information.

Both photos on the website you refer to look as if the locos are in lined black livery.

Cheers.

For those interested in North East opperations, they were mainly used on light branch line work. Being allocated to darlington this saw them on the Crook - Darlington runs and also trains to Bishop Auckland, Richmond, Saltburn. One was regularly rostered to work the evening parcel train, the 20:00 off shildon according to an elder of the house here. 82029 has been released by Bachmann but at least 82026 was another 3MT allocated to Darlington.

A very good looking model. I have given mine a good running in and although fine once on the go, she is not the slowest or smoothest of starters. This appears to be down to a tight spot in the drive somwhe which I have yet to locate. Other than that, she's fine on the move

Dave.

I found the connecting rod on one side of mine was twisted longitudinally forcing the crosshead out on the slidebars and the big end of the conn rod twisted on the crank pin. Luckily it is a fairly soft metal so I was able to take the rod off and twist it straight and the loco runs a lot smoother now. Hope this helps someone.

Keith

That looks a veyr nice little loco. I am particularly impressed by the rendition of the triple lining. I seriously hope that the N gauge version it up to the same standard (and released soon). :)

Does anyone have info on the N gauge version release time?

Archived