Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

Guest Max Stafford

Sounds like a bit of obfuscation to me. There are still people out there who will seize on the flimsiest of excuses not to do worthwhile things.

It's not like charters will be in every day!

The charters are likely to be mainly on weekends with fewer service trains to work around. What the writer of said letter may fail to realise is that train planners do actually take performance into account when timing charters. It's not just a case of taking pot luck. All delay minutes are accountable and they will only run charters when they can be accommodated without stuffing up the passing loops and timetabled services. A non argument if you ask me.

Guest Max Stafford

Nice find Bruce. And from a man who presumably doesn't need to travel daily in the Borders.

I see he's brought up that timeless old chestnut, the guided busway, fresh from its roaring success in Dunstable...

As usual though, another one who fails to see the bigger picture.

Dave.

I love his patronising idea that people entitled to free bus passes somehow don't place any value on their time. By extension of Mr Munro's logic, they will happily sit day in day out on the A7 rather than take the quicker, safer and more reliable alternative. I well know how scenic that drive is, but is killing time for free such a component of the over-60's leisure consideration? I think not: making more effective use of their time probably is.

Besides, I notice this from the TS website:

"Can I use my card on the train?

Some local authorities have joined with rail companies to offer their over 60 and disabled residents free or discounted train travel as well as the standard free bus travel."

Guest Max Stafford

I note also his address in Buccleuch Street, Glasgow.

Must have a second home overlooking the route or perhaps a road-building consultancy.

Dave.

He's a wee bit off with his timings.

According to the FirstGroup plc website, Newtongrange to Tweedbank is 1 hr 04 minutes (it's 1hr 46 on their timetable from Edinburgh to Tweedbank)

and from the BordersRailway.co.uk site, "JOURNEY TIMES BETWEEN TWEEDBANK AND EDINBURGH WILL TAKE LESS THAN ONE HOUR"

all of which hardly squares with Mr Munro's statement, "Train times between Tweedbank and Newtongrange will be about the same as for buses".

'Nuff said.

Bruce

I've found the letter I originally referred to.

It's December issue of the Railway Magazine, so perhaps from someone more likely to be correct than your average naysayer?

Notes line designed for class 170 , with no spare paths, based on 30min headways, and at weekends, a need to match 170 performances in order not to disrupt.

Sunday services? Hope so!

Also hope he is incorrect in his assumption that steam plus 10 carriages cannot find a path.

I've found the letter I originally referred to.

It's December issue of the Railway Magazine, so perhaps from someone more likely to be correct than your average naysayer?

Notes line designed for class 170 , with no spare paths, based on 30min headways, and at weekends, a need to match 170 performances in order not to disrupt.

Sunday services? Hope so!

Also hope he is incorrect in his assumption that steam plus 10 carriages cannot find a path.

Got a very good mate who is in Network Rail's train planning department and plans all train movements in a certain part of Scotland - I may just run some of the info, line spec, train spec etc, past him and see what his response is.

Hopefully this will glean us some info more likely to be correct than your average Railway Magazine reader or any naysayer.

• RMweb Premium

Obviously from the west if Scotland perspective the Borders is not worth investing in. A third rate bus service is all we deserve or should ever aspire to have. Please don’t spend any money on us as we’re not going anywhere now or ever and no one will ever want to come here unless they take a wrong turning off the M8.

We may as well become part of Northumberland again. Things have changed so little here in the last 1200 years it will be like we never really left.

Bottom of the reply pile?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Of interesting note - some aqction this morning.....

Seen near Newtongrange at 09-15

Procession of some 8 Network Rail vehicles going south.

No idea of destination - hard to tell from a bus going in the opposite direction!

** Update - Mrs advises at least 4 vehicles seen at location for new bridge at Hardengreen Roundabout off the A7 near Dalkieth.

Speaking of bus v train.............

Bus - 1.05 hr from Gorebridge this morning to Waverley Bridge

Train - proposed service show 20 mins

Can you guess whgat my preferance will be?

Thanks

I'm assuming the train will no longer be on the fife circle line, so while I do live in fear of having to get on a train full of folk from the *country*, at least it won't be confusingly headboarded as going to the station its just come from! (As is the case just now for those getting on at Brunstane)

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/news/first-sleepers-delivered-for-borders-railway.aspx

Looks like we were right: the Leamside Line is being recycled......

Nice to see that efforts are already being made to keep control of costs, but sad all the same that another route worthy of reactivation appears to be getting sacrificed.

Guest Max Stafford

I think the Leamside will get reactivated when the North East gets proper representation.

Meantime, at least the salvaged materials are being put to a very noble use.

Wish I was involved.

Well, I am in a small way, I suppose!

D.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Well - Today was the day that every household within 5 miles of the re-opened Broder Rail Route should have recieved a mailing.

This should be from Borders Rail on behalf of Network Rail and take the form of an information leaflet with letter explaining what is nappening.

I'd be interested to know how many of the intended 1.5m letters were actually recieved.

Whilst walking the dog I came acros a bag with over 500 in it that obviously were not going through anyones letterbox!

Lets hope this situation isn't repeated too often along the route.

Thanks

ps - Yes - my postie did deliver the mail which including one of these items.

Hi all,

Well - Today was the day that every household within 5 miles of the re-opened Broder Rail Route should have recieved a mailing.

This should be from Borders Rail on behalf of Network Rail and take the form of an information leaflet with letter explaining what is nappening.

I'd be interested to know how many of the intended 1.5m letters were actually recieved.

Whilst walking the dog I came acros a bag with over 500 in it that obviously were not going through anyones letterbox!

Thanks

I have recieved my copy, I'll read it when I'm home from work on Wednesday.

Hi all,

Thanks

Hi Guys, Im new on the forum, Just here really out of interest for this project. Im not a train buff as such, But this one is a great thing to see. It's a pity the Old station isn't being kept and properly re-opened at Gorebridge ( I think that's the one that is still 'intact'). anyway apart from saying hello, Is it possible for someone to post a copy of this leaflet your discussing on here?.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived