Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

Based on the data in these drawing it looks like the speed limit will be 60-70mph

With a radius of 560m cant of 144mm and cant deficiency of 110mm I calculate the maximum line speed to be 109km/h or 68mph at galabank

With a radius of 594m cant of 145mm and cant deficiency of 110mm I calculate the maximum line speed to be 113km/h or 70.3 mph at watherstone

There is no cant or radius data on the drawing for Bowshank south

Disclaimer Dont blame me if you fall of the track whist driving at these speeds  :O

It was interesting to note that the new wooden decks of the watherstone bridge will be made from greeheart tropical hardwood, so beloved of salmon anglers before the advent of carbon fibre.

All speeds worked our using the equation below.

11.82 = R x (C+D) ÷ V²

Where:

V is the maximum speed in kph
R is the radius in metres
C is the cant in mm
D is the cant deficiency in mm (taking this to be the NR max of 110mm) 

Nice to see that they are trying to reuse as much as possible.   Someones going to have gun drilling out the old cross bracing rivets and bolting in the new steelwork.  Also the track has some real superelevation so they must be trying to get the speed limit as high as possible.  Good to see progress.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve not seen this view of Fooshy before – amazing timber survivors – soon to be swept away I guess, after sixty years of slumber:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=42741

And the more usual aspect, a favourite spot for sixties snappers:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=42730

Newtongrange:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=42773

I'll revisit this new thread later and populate it with maps and sundry other useful things...

I could do with moving it into the Waverley Route Group as well....

gee - the lady vic in her finery.

About a dozen or fifteen years or so ago, I remember elements of the reclamation of the yard area where the houses are; undergrounded overhead HV lines, turned the place upside down and whacked the heck out of it to make sure it stopped burning.  There was a long time spent agonising over where to draw the line in the sand that marked the edge of the railway property, and that line is now those back fences.  Plenty confusion there, as is always the way when BR land gives way to 'private' sidings...

My favourite 77 pieces of paper of all time :sungum:

I really must agree, and its great to go over the border to Gala to do the weekly shop, check on progress and grab a bite of lunch in Moondogs every month or so.

I came across David Spaven's book at the weekend and have been reading avidly over the last few days. Great to link that in with all this info.

The pic's has been changed since, the original that I referred to had a HGV passing over a bridge.

Fortunately it wasn't the modellers' cliche of a bus - in this case the 95 Rail Replacement to Carlisle!  :O

• 1 month later...

Freight travels over the Newbattle Viaduct once again after 40 years.

Not on rails but getting closer

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/news/new-lease-of-life-for-midlothian-viaduct-as-borders-railway-progresses.aspx

Anyone willing to put up a prize for the first photo.

Fantastic news!  Yesterday, I emailed the following to ex-colleagues!

"This Community mailshot reads EXACTLY like one of mine from East London line – it’s uncanny!

And didn’t we go for an Environmental award for using our line of route as a haul road – all obvious stuff for railway builders, but the public laps it up!

Can’t wait to see the piling rigs get to work.... that Gore Glen location is the old Shank Bridge Holy Grail location.  Only one shot of the original seen so far..."

Archived