Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

Do you want to set up a campaigne to save Scotlands disused railways from the hands of top hat wearing Railway speculators . :)

This link from the Hawick News site suggests a use for the "old routes"

http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/news/local-headlines/msp-backs-initiative-to-turn-old-rail-routes-into-cycle-paths-1-2599145

Bruce

And Julian Cram, of Border Cycles, believes such routes would also be of great significance to locals.

He told the Hawick News: “The biggest one for me would be opening up the link between Hawick and St Boswells.

“There are a lot of people who live in the town and work at the council so that could have potential to be a commuter run. I think the whole idea is brilliant.”

In which case would it not be wiser to reopen it as a railway? Hmmmmm .....

This link from the Hawick News site suggests a use for the "old routes"

http://www.hawick-ne...paths-1-2599145

Bruce

If they were to lay 2 parallel metal strips about 5 feet apart between Hawick and Tweedbank, the cyclist could save wear and tear on their tyres by running on the rims, cutting down rolling resistance at the same time enabling higher speeds and shorter journey times.

This system may have other uses, answers on a post card.

I suspect the cost of the conventional cyclepathic system may be prohibitively expensive for the use it would have unless heavy promoted as a tourist attraction. It would need the vision thing to promote it, something that lacking in most of our elected representatives and fellow Borders unless you can drive a car on it.

If they were to lay 2 parallel metal strips about 5 feet apart between Hawick and Tweedbank, the cyclist could save wear and tear on their tyres by running on the rims, cutting down rolling resistance at the same time enabling higher speeds and shorter journey times.

This system may have other uses, answers on a post card.

Something along these lines???

post-5524-0-41466200-1351702123_thumb.jpg

Bruce

In which case would it not be wiser to reopen it as a railway? Hmmmmm .....

A railway between the two points would at least attract some regular patronage. The distance from Newtown to Hawick is just over twelve miles which is about twice as far as most people would be prepared to cycle commute. Of course the real cycling enthusiasts would comfortably do this sort of distance but they tend to be quite happy cycling on road.

Bill

I have just heard that there is a meeting at Mining museum on Tuesday 6th November 2-5pm for residents to meet with Network Rail delivery team for Borders Railway & ask questions.

If I am around I'll try and go, will be interesting to see what they have to say.

I have just heard that there is a meeting at Mining museum on Tuesday 6th November 2-5pm for residents to meet with Network Rail delivery team for Borders Railway & ask questions.

If I am around I'll try and go, will be interesting to see what they have to say.

The signing of the agreement transferring responsibility for delivering the project from Transport Scotland to Network Rail is taking place at 9am so it seems as if they're making a full day of it at the Mining Museum.

Bill

The signing of the agreement transferring responsibility for delivering the project from Transport Scotland to Network Rail is taking place at 9am so it seems as if they're making a full day of it at the Mining Museum.

Bill

Aye, and sod's law it's the day I go back to work!

:cry:

Guest Max Stafford

I don't pay much attention to Minitruth Scotland reports these days, but this is a nice, positive one for a change, although the usual suspects can't help a bit of doomsaying among the comments. Overall though, a very positive piece and very good news indeed.

Dave.

Interesting to see the station plans laid out of the new site, although some of them are not that clear on the track plan....

From what I can make out, Tweedbank will be a central island platform with 2 faces and Stow will also feature 2 platforms, presumably as a passing place, while the rest of the line will remain single throughout, if anyone knows the plans am I be correct in this?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Majority of original station diagrams available on my Photobucket site - used with permission.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n100/Scottish-Modeller/The%20Waverley%20Route%20-%20A%20new%20beginning/

At the time Stow was not confirmed as a passing place and no drawings were available because it was still under discussion.

Thanks

Interesting to see the station plans laid out of the new site, although some of them are not that clear on the track plan....

From what I can make out, Tweedbank will be a central island platform with 2 faces and Stow will also feature 2 platforms, presumably as a passing place, while the rest of the line will remain single throughout, if anyone knows the plans am I be correct in this?

• RMweb Premium

That's a very well researched article and great news. It shows some joined up thinking and common sense. Presumably there will be run round facilities at Tweedbank which would also allow freight if traffic arose. It;s great to see the positive progress on this, if only we could have such thinkinbg south of the border, perhaps my own desire to travel back to Keswick by train would be realised.

Jamie

there was a letter (in the Herald, i think) yesterday, putting forward a view that Ive heard before - that 'specials' wont be able to offer perfomance to match the anticipated normal service units, and therefore the 'dynamic passing loops' bit of the single line working, whereby no one need actually stop in a passing loop, wont work with specials cluttering up the line.

Anyone know anything specific on this thought?

Archived