Borders Railway progress

Chameleon

Can you just clarify for me (in New York):

There will be a heritage railway over part of the route then there will be a new government funded public section over another part of the old route? I'm a little confused.....but that is nothing new I can assure you.

Cheers, Pete.

Many thanks. Are you intending to set up a contribution system that is more helpful to non-UK Bank a/c holders?

I got rid of all mine because of the time I found I was spending looking after them....

Best, Pete.

I feel slightly emba

I feel slightly embarassed here, because as far as I know WRHA weren't even aware of the potential for demolition of these buildings. Had we known about them then like others we would have voiced concerns, lodged complaints etc. We're well aware of a number of old sites making way for the new line, but somehow Stow & Fountainhall slipped off the radar.

Thank god for people like you, Bill. A great result!

Thanks Matt, but credit is mainly due to an architect by the name of Nick Bethune - he has a particular interest in historic railway buildings and was able to produce a proper plan of the station area showing how all the car parking could be fitted without knocking anything down. I suspect the name Bethune will be known to some members of this forum - Nick's father hails from Newcastleton originally.

Bill

Actually neither Stow nor Fountainhall station buildings will be demolished. The station house/ticket office at Stow was scheduled for demolition to make way for the new car park but, thanks to the efforts of various people (myself included), Transport Scotland has agreed that the required number of parking spaces can be fitted in while leaving the building intact. The buildings at both locations will be put on the market eventually, so if anyone fancies living in a historic railway building..........

The same may be true of Gorebridge but I have no specific information in that case.

Bill

Oh what a goal to set for retirement when (IF) it ever becomes a viable option!

Guest Max Stafford

Many thanks. Are you intending to set up a contribution system that is more helpful to non-UK Bank a/c holders?

I got rid of all mine because of the time I found I was spending looking after them....

Best, Pete.

If Matt isn't already aware of your question I'll let him know Pete. I'm sure we will have many friends overseas who may well be asking the same question. Your help would be greatly appreciated and most welcome.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I see from Reporting Scotland this evening, that both the West Coast AND the East coast main lines are blocked due to flooding etc., meaning there are no trains between Scotland and England.

If the Waverley line was complete all through to Carlisle would it have been able to cope?

• RMweb Premium

I see from Reporting Scotland this evening, that both the West Coast AND the East coast main lines are blocked due to flooding etc., meaning there are no trains between Scotland and England.

If the Waverley line was complete all through to Carlisle would it have been able to cope?

The West Coast line is blocked at Tebay,so presumably diverted trains would need to go on Settle line. However suspect deluge would have affected Waverley route too

Groundhog Day.

1948 all over again.

Bernard

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete. It's probably not the cheapest method, due to charges, but Paypal is probably the easiest way to donate as it's only a couple of clicks. I keep meaning to add a simple "Donate" button to the website, rather than having a button for the appeals (Rolling Stock Transportation being the latest).

There's probably a way of setting something up to carry out direct online bank funding, as can be done between UK bank accounts, but I admit to having zero knowledge whatsoever of how it's done, if indeed it's possible.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete. It's probably not the cheapest method, due to charges, but Paypal is probably the easiest way to donate as it's only a couple of clicks. I keep meaning to add a simple "Donate" button to the website, rather than having a button for the appeals (Rolling Stock Transportation being the latest).

There's probably a way of setting something up to carry out direct online bank funding, as can be done between UK bank accounts, but I admit to having zero knowledge whatsoever of how it's done, if indeed it's possible.

Having just had to transfer money to a penniless daughter in Australia (I had told her that the bank of Mum and Dad didn't have a branch there.) I discovered that direct transfers aren't possible. You need to go through one of the exchange houses or use a system like Paypal or Western union, both of which have hefty charges. I used a firm called Moneycorp in London and things worked well. One idea might be to have some sort of credit card transaction as they do it all the time and the charges are less than Paypal.

Jamie

Thank

Having just had to transfer money to a penniless daughter in Australia (I had told her that the bank of Mum and Dad didn't have a branch there.) I discovered that direct transfers aren't possible. You need to go through one of the exchange houses or use a system like Paypal or Western union, both of which have hefty charges. I used a firm called Moneycorp in London and things worked well. One idea might be to have some sort of credit card transaction as they do it all the time and the charges are less than Paypal.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, unfortunately all our credit card transactions are via Paypal as we have no other way of accepting cards. I might look into the Western Union thing as I've heard of them ... cheers for the reply though, that's a great help!

• 3 weeks later...

My boss has a meeting today with contractors regarding the equipment they are planning to use to lay the track- he is one who can say whether or not its going to be fit for purpose. Hopefully i'll be getting the gig of babysitting the work at some point!

My boss has a meeting today with contractors regarding the equipment they are planning to use to lay the track- he is one who can say whether or not its going to be fit for purpose. Hopefully i'll be getting the gig of babysitting the work at some point!

One would hope it will be fit for the heavy tracklaying trains that will no doubt use the RA7 class 66s ... and as that has to be the case they're already a good way to making it fit for pretty much everything to run on!

The plan at the moment is (apparently) to use a similar machine to that used on the Bathgate line. Its an impressive bit of kit that drags itself along the bottom layer of ballast, lays sleepers, drops the track into the chairs, then clips the lot up itself, the rest of the wagons behind running on the freshly laid track!

• RMweb Premium

When are Bachman or one of the other manufacturers going to produce a working model of this It would look wonderful doing it in C & L components.

DCC fitted naturally!

Can anyone explain why the line not going to Melrose, as a single track into the old station would be easy, after Melrose is more of a problem. Tweedbank is just down the road and Melrose seems a bustling little town, the line would also pass the large Borders Hospital, which could easily be connected over the bypass with a footbridge.

Tweedbank built as the plans suggest could be a loop with a single track extension to Melrose. The only problem I see here is a car park, but it is in the centre of the town.

Saying that the hospital carpark could be extended to make a perk & ride here.

Guest Max Stafford

Charlie. As it stands I think there are some issues with some underground utilities south of Tweedbank and additionally, some deviation would be required due to post-closure road developments. That said, I have no doubt that the line will be successful and it is almost certain that the route will be extended to Hawick within ten years of the new route to Tweedbank opening for traffic.

Dave.

Hi Charlie, as Dave has said, there are power cables - and possibly other utilities - buried in the formation from a point immediately southeast of Tweedbank station site. As I understand it, the limit of deviation for the rebuild has already been trimmed back to allow a safe working margin around these. Quite whether it costs the previously mooted £30m to realign these I'm not qualified to say. The source may have been one of the project's detractors anyway.

However, the extension to Melrose and the Borders Hospital is essential certainly in my view. To embellish what my learned friend has suggested, the push towards these will entail much tweaking of the road crossings, although there is a pretty well clear path apart from these, even alongside the A6098 and into the old platform. Beyond Melrose the challenge is no greater than in the Millerhill/ Galashiels areas...

Archived