Hornby Flying Scotsman in Black

Philip Jackson

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I wan't surprised to find this while looking at the nrm shop:

https://www.nrmshop.co.uk/models/product/311199/Hornby-flying-scotsman-model-wartime-black.html

I'm quite happy with the BR Blue one I got a few years ago so I'll not be buying this one

I think thats totally overpriced. :mellow: It costs about the same as the Bachmann 'City' which was all new tooling.The Scotsman tooling has been around for years.You're paying for the black livery and certificate thats all.How many modellers will buy one ?

Sorry Robin, think we both pressed return at the same time. The tooling has been altered to be the deflectorless version as it is now, and other changes have been made to make it the A3 in summer 2011 condition. There will only be 500 of this, and as for the pricing, I cannot comment as an employee of the museum.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Robin, think we both pressed return at the same time. The tooling has been altered to be the deflectorless version as it is now, and other changes have been made to make it the A3 in summer 2011 condition. There will only be 500 of this, and as for the pricing, I cannot comment as an employee of the museum.

I assume some of the proceeds will be going to its upkeep though.If theres only 500 then collectors will snap them up.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the price is unreasonable - its not much more than the RRP of the current production models and with the profit going to the NRM we all benefit.

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of the loco in black with the small German-style deflectors as shown in the pictures on the NRM webshop page and in Hornby Magazine and was about to press the "buy" button when I read the description "double chimney without smoke deflectors".... Personally, I think the small deflectors make the loco look a handsome brute....and in black as well.

Double-checked the pictures posted in the UK Prototype thread and, yes, the loco has no deflectors. So why publish pictures of the model with deflectors when, in reality, the locomotive does not have deflectors at this point in time? Very strange.....what a shame.

Keith

So why publish pictures of the model with deflectors when, in reality, the locomotive does not have deflectors at this point in time?

Please note the image is a prototype

;)

Pix

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate what you say but it still seems strange to me that the picture and the description on the website are at such variance.....how many ordinary punters who may buy the model will appreciate that.........

Surely there must be someone at Hornby or the NRM with photoshopping skills who could remove the deflectors on the pictures of the model to avoid any confusion for the uninitiated.

It is interesting to note that in Hornby Magazine they state that the loco is a "model of the locomotive in wartime black livery but with smoke deflectors and double chimney to replicate the current condition of the locomotive". Why weren't they told that the actual model would not have deflectors....

Just my thoughts :) .....

Keith

It might be Hornby assumed railway modellers will not buy the model. Afterall, a cheap secondhand A3, a can of car spray paint satin black plus some transfers and you've cracked it for a fraction of the price......Assuming a modeller would want an A3 in wartime black.:rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

It might be Hornby assumed railway modellers will not buy the model. Afterall, a cheap secondhand A3, a can of car spray paint satin black plus some transfers and you've cracked it for a fraction of the price......Assuming a modeller would want an A3 in wartime black.:rolleyes:

Don't forget the certificate.... :D

Surely there must be someone at Hornby or the NRM with photoshopping skills who could remove the deflectors on the pictures of the model to avoid any confusion for the uninitiated.

Keith

Probably easier to get a production one out of a box tbh unless they've all sold already..

Be even more confusing if the real one gets the deflectors put on sometime during testing while still black, probably another 500 to sell then ;).

Price isn't too bad if you wanted to donate to Flying Scotsman and wanted a model too..

• RMweb Gold

Afterall, a cheap secondhand A3, a can of car spray paint satin black plus some transfers and you've cracked it for a fraction of the price......Assuming a modeller would want an A3 in wartime black.:rolleyes:

How many of those will find their way to eBay? I've got an old Triang Scotsman to restore ........

• RMweb Gold

Can I get this straight,please. A3 in wartime black with DOUBLE chimney ? That's to say a'heritage'2011 condition model.Why this current fetish for black,I wonder? Anniversary of Baedeker raid,perhaps.First a black 70000,now this---.I'm sure it will be a really beautiful model,though.Shame,however,that it will not look right at the head of a rake of Gresley teaks.Bachmann maroon Mark 1's masquerading as W.C.R.C.perhaps. Mind you,you COULD always do a nose (sorry, chimney) job,to be followed by the mother of all weathering jobs.King's Cross Platform 10 1943,at the head of a train so long that the smoke box of the loco is actually in Gasworks tunnel,my dad,on leave,returning to an R.A.F.airfield in Lincolnshire,jammed like a sardine in the corridor,philosophically pulling on his Craven A.Maybe nostalgia will make me part with what does seem like an awful lot of cash!

I'm a modeller and I want one of these models because I have been fascinated by Flying Scotsman since I got my first Hornby Railways catalogue as a boy back in 1994. So far I have Scotsman in the NRM guise as released a few years ago and the BR blue version. My ultimate aim is to get a model of Flying Scotsman in all of its variations. I realise that this is going to be a more long term possibly a life long project so I will be buying both this and the Apple Green version due for release later this year. Now if only Hornby would relase a full spec model of Scotsman as outshopped form Doncaster works brand new...

You know he means that dry.gif

Shouldn't BR blue be BR Corporate Blue anyway? :P

It's a funny thing isn't it. To old linesiders there was only one BR blue. Then Corporate Blue came along.:D

There was a preserved GWR Pannier Tank in Corporate blue .:bad:

Archived