Mk1 Horsebox

Taz

Looks like mine's arrived - but I didn't remember ordering in it. Now - How do I explain this to the wife?

I rely on the fact that almost all locos and items of rolling look the same to the less enthusiastic family members, so I just say I've had that one for ages. However, some items on the credit card bill have to be redacted "for security reasons".

Looks like mine's arrived - but I didn't remember ordering in it. Now - How do I explain this to the wife?

I use a totally different strategy of openness and involvement! My wife gives me the parcel and says 'I think you've got some more train stuff. Is this another nice one?' When I open it with her, if she likes it, she says 'Only one of them? Would you like another one for Christmas?' Oh drat, Hornby are out of Sound Crewkernes!

Richard

• Like 3

I use a totally different strategy of openness and involvement! My wife gives me the parcel and says 'I think you've got some more train stuff. Is this another nice one?' When I open it with her, if she likes it, she says 'Only one of them? Would you like another one for Christmas?' Oh drat, Hornby are out of Sound Crewkernes!

Richard

I went with this method - - now she wants a horse but a 12" the ft variety

For those waiting the arrival of their horsebox(es) I have just been told by TMC that they have only sent orders received up to January and mine, which was ordered and paid for on 28 September, will be sent in four weeks!

• Like 1

They certainly seem to be very slow,Given they knew the volume of advance orders it may have been sensible to line up some casual help to assist with the deliveries.When you order on line ,as I did,the card is debited then and not when the model is depatched.They suggested that in future I order by phone to avoid this problem.They have had my money for four weeks and I have been told that it will take another four weeks to send the September orders.It would seem that they have bitten off more than they can chew. I hope they learn something about customer service from this experience.

Edited by nerron

Let us not forget, getting casual help in to post things out quicker incurs extra costs in paying staff. If this was not planned in at the beginning then they could be heading for less profit or even making a loss on the items.

Not supporting the shop in any way, just putting a viewpoint, though I must admit I am happy with the 2 I received in the early despatches.

Stewart

They certainly seem to be very slow,Given they knew the volume of advance orders it may have been sensible to line up some casual help to assist with the deliveries.When you order on line ,as I did,the card is debited then and not when the model is depatched.They suggested that in future I order by phone to avoid this problem.They have had my money for four weeks and I have been told that it will take another four weeks to send the September orders.It would seem that they have bitten off more than they can chew. I hope they learn something about customer service from this experience.

The same applied to their Birseye conflats. At least when I rang up to order my horseboxes it was made clear to me that I should expect a four week delay minimum as they process the back orders first. It is a pity they don't publicise this on their website for those making online orders. As Stewart Ingram above says, you can't expect them to bring in extra staff just for the odd couple of weeks without further increasing their prices. Best advise their customers in advance not to expect their models as soon as they are announced as in stock.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My green horsebox arrived in yesterday post. left outside the packaging was wet but the bubblewrap kept the Bachmann box dry.

Superb looking model with the Bachmann coach close coupling mechanism fitted NEM tension locks. Locks like the correct height for Kadees but will try swapping them tonight.

A little bag of bits to fit but no instructions as to where they go so will have to open the bag and work them out.

Ian

The little spring that self centres the couplings has disappeared/broken/come loose on one end of my maroon one. Has anyone dismantled one of these models yet to see how an errant spring could be repaired and/or how it all should fit together?

It still runs fine as long as it is only pulled and not pushed.

• RMweb Gold

The little spring that self centres the couplings has disappeared/broken/come loose on one end of my maroon one. Has anyone dismantled one of these models yet to see how an errant spring could be repaired and/or how it all should fit together?

It still runs fine as long as it is only pulled and not pushed.

A good reason to go 3 link!

Mike.

My horse box also arrived today and I spent the morning getting it a little more the way I wanted it.

http://DSCF5631.jpg

After taking out the single screw from the underside a knife was slid in each side.

http://DSCF5632.jpg

One of the buffers dropped off my model but that was no problem as I fitted MJT 16 inch sprung buffer heads. As you can see the chassis has 2 clips each side which clip into the glazing inside each side of the body.

http://DSCF5630.jpg

All in bits, there are 2 further screws which hold the interior in place. I removed the complete coupling units. Jenny Emily, the 'spring' that centre these couplings is simply a single length of wire which may be missing or not located correctly on your model at one end.

http://DSCF5636.jpg

The brake gear fitted to the brake shoes, I had to bend the brake shoes towards the centre of the van so I could spring the shoes apart to snap the brake units in place, there is a small blind hole in the back of each shoes to locate them in. A dab of super glue was then added to each shoe to hold them in place.

http://DSCF5634.jpg

I fitted Smiths screw link couplings, the steam heat and vacuum pipes have been fitted, they are lovely mouldings, just wish they were available separately. The wheels were very shiny and have been toned down with a mix of mat black and rust paint. It just needs weathering now.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 4

Mine arrived today and looks fab and seems to have a nice weight to it, unlike some CCTs I could mention which derail at the drop of a hat when being shunted in a rake of mixed carriages. Hopefully, this will run as well as it looks.

I can only applaud TMC's service. I only ordered mine in mid September, I received an email on Tuesday asking me to ring a confirm payment whic I did yesterday morning and it's here today. Mind you, £4.50 postage I think is a little pricey, but I signed up to this knowingly. The prompt delivery reflects this, I suppose.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Mind you, £4.50 postage I think is a little pricey, .

Postage was my only quibble - £12.00 Royal Mail signed for the only option to Portugal. But I was able to add a couple of others items (L/E wagon sets) without increasing the postage cost, which works out more reasonable.

• 3 months later...