Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bachmann to run for US Presidency?

"Bachmann to run for President?" - how big will the Ezee-Track layout be around the Oval Office, one wonders? Could be a nice demonstration layout!:yahoo:

Also if the Greeks really do have to scale down their economy and public services drastically, will Greek railways be O Gauge, HO or even N Gauge? It really would be a drastic scaling down if they are forced into T Scale!:unsure:

Richard

A side effect of the coverage of Congresswoman Bachmann's presidential ambitions has been hearing her name pronounced and wondering if I've been getting the one we're more familiar with all wrong. I always thought it was "Back-mun" but it seems "Bark-mun" may be the correct pronunciation.

Paul

A side effect of the coverage of Congresswoman Bachmann's presidential ambitions has been hearing her name pronounced and wondering if I've been getting the one we're more familiar with all wrong. I always thought it was "Back-mun" but it seems "Bark-mun" may be the correct pronunciation.

Paul

I'd always assumed the ch in Bachmann was pronounced as in the Scots word loch.

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

I'd always assumed the ch in Bachmann was pronounced as in the Scots word loch.

Jeremy

Johann Sebastian Bach for instance, bark rather than back? Although there are bound to be exceptions. Who knows, bit before my time.

Rob

She's obviously going to have a conservative outlook with a blue riband.

I ... must ... not ... make ... comments ... in ... a ... Michelle Bachmann thread.

... Oh to heck with it.

Hardly a "blue" riband. Ironically red* is much more likely, or in this case, perhaps a 'red, white and blue' riband?

* In the red state / blue state 'reductio ad absurdum' of the US political process blue designates 'Democrats' and red 'Republicans'. Everywhere else in the world in the political spectrum, red is reserved for the left (particularly the extreme left) rather than the right.

Press the "play" button on this page link......... pronunciation of Bachmann

Also here is the German original.... Bachmann in German

It appears that Anglicised versions vary considerably, with Michelle Bachmann's own being a little unusual.

Wotz that composer called? Here's a few correct examples.... Bach - Johann Sebastian Bach - Bach

.....and I've just found this from the BBC.... How to say: Michelle Bachmann

As with any name, it is really how the person wants to pronounce it that is "right" (as many comedy shows have taken advantage of - "St John" anyone ?????? ).

Many immigrants either changed their name (or had them changed for them by officials) to suit better the "native" population and even if they kept their name its pronounciation would change with local attitudes (racist or merely lazy) or local accent.

With Bachmann in the UK I would go by what the factory and the factory reps call it (hoping their is some consistency) - but having worked for British firms owned by American ones I often met Americans who pronounced "our" name differently to how it "should" be.

The most obvious example is General Colin Powell - where despite constant protestations from the time he arrived in the USA he still got known by his mispronounciation.

The most obvious example is General Colin Powell - where despite constant protestations from the time he arrived in the USA he still got known by his mispronounciation.

Not sure about that - according to Wikipedia he was born in New York and has pronounced his name thatw ay since childhood after war pilot Colin P. Kelly Jr

Richard

It would be quite amusing if it were not for the fact she is a raving nutter :O

I never thought I would see anyone in congress who was madder than Palin but with quotes like these she definitely takes top spot:

“I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us 'having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,' and the people — we the people — are going to have to fight back hard if we're not going to lose our country.†-Rep. Rep. Michele Bachmann, March 2009

or-

“Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.†-Rep. Michelle Bachmann, April, 2009

These are just a few of the lesser bull crap lines that have come out of her mouth , to call her a moron insults even morons in my opinion . As for palin she is not even going to get in the first line up she has shown her stupidity on tv in reality shows already :-) Although she may be a favorite of the red neck communities they are not the majority thank the heavens :-)

It would be quite amusing if it were not for the fact she is a raving nutter :O

I never thought I would see anyone in congress who was madder than Palin but with quotes like these she definitely takes top spot:

“I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us 'having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,' and the people — we the people — are going to have to fight back hard if we're not going to lose our country.†-Rep. Rep. Michele Bachmann, March 2009

or-

“Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.†-Rep. Michelle Bachmann, April, 2009

Archived