Class 85

Michael Delamar

Cav I see that you've modelled 108, was there any changes to the locos other than, Just the speed restriction for the /1s?

The 85/1 was 'converted' as a stop gap rfd machine when the class 90s were late in delivery. As far as I know the only difference between them and a 85/0 was that it was regeared for 80mph. Presumebly for more tractive effort but electric locos are a bit weird on that front so I may be wrong, and the ETH was isolated although the plugs on the bufferbeams remained. My loco is actually numbered differently on each side to give me the option of running a 85/0 or 85/1 depending on service.

Cav

• Like 1

So far over and above other "spots" I have noticed that the square box (vented on the corridor side) on the roof nearest to the air tanks is underheight and by some distance looking at photos of the prototype. I didnt realise how tall this particular piece of equipment was. It is almost level with the tops of the lowest air tanks. Looking at this image I do wonder if the box on our models is either moulded incorrectly with vents to one side only or Bachmann have fitted it facing the wrong way. If its simply facing the wrong way then i dare say it will be easy to remove it turn it around and refit which might give one the chance to "build up the height" a little.

This photo is nice example of the equipment in question......you can see this box (1) should tower above the long slim box (2) next to it between the hidden DC switches box (3). I will try and finf a photo from the equipment side to see if vents appear that side too.

http://www.martinbra...lesp-050986.jpg

It doesnt bother me much right now so I dont think I will touching mine just yet but as the thread begins to comment more and more on the nitty gritty details it should be mentioned for the purposes of record.

Has anybody else spotted the AWS sensor under the loco at the inner end of one of the bogies(non-decoder end)?

Bachmann have done a great job on this model even on some of the things youll be hard pressed to see on a layout!

Edited by ThaneofFife

Some locos may have lost their ETH cables, but on the whole the 85/1 exercise was to stop other sectors nicking their locos, and they would have had a longer life (and repaints into RfD) had the freight sector not been told to sort the newly delivered 90's out.

Regarding the UK modellers Vs catenary debate, its hard to get my point over on a smartphone from a holiday cottage, but basically there is little historical precedent in the UK for a Sommerfeldt-type range, so the compromises of such a range are hard to accept where more established modellers such as those in Germany can accept thick untensioned wires of a preset length because they always have done (like OO being 16.5mm gauge)...? And if there was a demand, don't you think Sommerfeldt would have met it, as theyve done for other major European countries...?

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Is there any story behind choosing to renumber them 18 and 20 Jim?

Not really, I just had piccies of them at new street at the right time, That and the DCC numbers don't clash with any of my 25s, 45s or 50s

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

I was building, and pioneering with a friend of mine (who scratch built a scale model of Tiefencastel station on the Albula line in Switzerland; one of the finest layouts I have ever seen, putting most of the best P4 layouts to shame) very fine scale RhB and SBB catenary way back in the 1980's, just as fine and finer than your stuff on BNS, and it was energised. I'm sorry to say.

Hi Simon

Are you going to share any of this pioneering work with us at all? BNS doesn't have any overhead unless you are comparing with my test plank in which case I agree with you (and have already stated in this thread) that it's not good enough.

Don't sweat it

Jim

• Like 4

Managed to get the proper camera out tonight to show what I think must be the finished loco now in a clear image rather than fuzzy poor light phone pics. Comments always welcome.

post-6894-0-06061100-1337807319_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-22654800-1337807770_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-38853500-1337807381_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-94143000-1337807458_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 13

Having been slightly critical of the Heljan DP2, and to give balance and positive input, i am delighted to say how pleased i am with my newly arrived Bachmann 85. Runs well, good livery application and it looks good to me. I like Cav and Jim's weathering jobs, nice greasy splodge on Cav's buffers, whereas Jim seems to have done something clever with hollow buffers.

Sound wise, did all the early AC locos ( Classes 81-85 ) run with the motor blowers running continuously or was it just Class 81? I remember on Classes 86 and 87 the blowers would run under power, but turn off at idle, presumably when things had cooled down sufficiently. Roll on the other Bachmann 85 variants.

Cheers, Brian.

Having been slightly critical of the Heljan DP2, and to give balance and positive input, i am delighted to say how pleased i am with my newly arrived Bachmann 85.

Cav's photos are smashing!

I traded my DP2 preorder for an 85 in original livery and now can't wait for it to arrive. What a fine model it has turned out to be...

I dont think ive seen a pic of one with the BR symbol on the cabside like this before..

6805483454_9af0e60061_b.jpg

85002 stables at Euston. Withdrawn in May 1989, 85002 was cut-up in October 1992 (info courtesy WNXX.com). by jezdgould, on Flickr

and this one is interesting for the number painted on the cab front...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/7242518898/

HI

I do remember seeing these back in the late 70's and early 80’s and looking at the Bachmann model, they have sure got it looking spot on!

Well done Bachmann, you have set the bar higher again!

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Got mine in the post from Rails of Sheffield on Thurs last week, bit had to send it back as the pan was damaged where I think it had been forced into the box.

Big up to Rails of Sheffield for dispatching a new one promptly, and refunding my postage. It arrived yesterday.

Being well acquainted with 85's from many happy days on Northampton Cobblers, I can day that it is an excellent model that really captures the look of the real thing.

Cheers N

Managed to get the proper camera out tonight to show what I think must be the finished loco now in a clear image rather than fuzzy poor light phone pics. Comments always welcome.

Cav

Great photos Cav and even better weathering job!! Can I ask how you make the 'splodge' on the buffer heads? Looks great!

Having a go at renumber one of my 85s and well its not going well. Here is a pic. On the other side I must have accidentally caught a tiny spec of the "0" but actually thats worked out OK as some locos did run about with bits of the numbers missing.

Who has found a renumbering technique that works well for them? I applied a tiny bit of turps subsitute on the end of a cocktail stick and lightly pawed at the numbers however on cleaning up after I found i had made the blue underneath go a bit paler and slightly below the numbers as i was dragging the stick down in one direction to pick at the numbers. Its not ruined by any stretch but i just think i might need steering in a better direction here especially as I have another one to renumber. I dare say most aberrations will be invisible with weathering.

I tried to leave the "0" as the plan was to simply change the last 2 digits but is it easier to just take this off too? Are 3 digit transfers available with the "0" leading? where do you buy you buy your replacement numbers from ? Having them for all of the last 3 digits of the loco rather than painfully trying to line up 3 individual transfers close to each other would make life easier. I think I would prefer a rub on transfer but again what works best for you?

also i would like to add the etches-whats best for fixing these?

85019.jpg

I thought these would be useful for those adding the pipe in the first window. from Geoffrey Jones film rail 1967.

can see that the pipe bends in before it reaches the right hand side of the window and has a few kinks and bends in it.

its something I never noticed until it was pointed out but definatley noticable once you know about it, a nice easy detail to add and ill certainly be adding it to mine when it arrives.

post-27-0-81781100-1337859148.jpg

post-27-0-11354500-1337859175.jpg

Mike

I thought these would be useful for those adding the pipe in the first window. from Geoffrey Jones film rail 1967.

can see that the pipe bends in before it reaches the right hand side of the window and has a few kinks and bends in it.

its something I never noticed until it was pointed out but definatley noticable once you know about it, a nice easy detail to add and ill certainly be adding it to mine when it arrives.

post-27-0-81781100-1337859148.jpg

post-27-0-11354500-1337859175.jpg

Mike

i suspect Mike that the routing or at least the form of the pipe in question changed or got modified in the early years as those photos show the shape is very different to those we have seen on the BR blue versions. I am still tweaking my own pipe as the early attempts werent positioned right in the window.

Whilst posting, how does one access the wheel sets because I cant see how these bogie towers are dismantled underneath? I want to paint the pick up strips behind the bogie frame blacks so it would be good to get them off the model. is it a similar set up to the old Lima models where you simply prise up the long plastic piece with "Bachmann Branchline" stamp on it, out? there is no obvious slot to insert a screwdriver and pry the coverplate up.

Interesting to see the pipework there, the picture I have attached below shows the pipe much straighter. It seems that the routing of this pipe is a little more variable than you would imagine.

post-6894-0-55294800-1337861027_thumb.jpeg

Cav

• Like 1

Cav - comments are almost surplus to requirements now you've posted those extra photos, but blimey that really does look the business. A couple of things stand out to me which I think deserve mentioning... all of the photos, but in particular the third one down showing the loco in profile, show just how evocative of the real thing the Bachmann model is, and your lovely weathering of the chassis area - the best I've seen on RMWeb. Above the chassis it is wonderful too, but finding it difficult to get the below solebar area right myself, I take my proverbial hat off to you.

That profile view has got the 'minds eye' working overtime again.... memories of 81s, 82s, 83s, 84s and 85s drawing endless lengthy parcels trains along the Up Side at Rugby Midland on wintery afternoons for a crew change, RY92 signal comes off and the roaring begins as they make for the deceptively steep bank to Northampton Castle....

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

Comments always welcome.

Cav

Looks great Cav. Just the specific to 85s bits to add - the grease under the dampers and the bottom of the triangles plus some light dry brushing for depth and jobs a good un. I added a spot of gloss in the brake actuators too as it seems to always show up in piccies

Hth

Jim