Model Rail 159 - August 2011

chrisf

Mine arrived this morning.

The emphasis this time is on the Somerset and Dorset, with considerable informational input from Chris Nevard, whose photography has not only risen to the occasion but towers above it. [That's a compliment, by the way]. Layouts include Evercreech New by Julian Birley [O gauge], Averton Hammer by Richard Knott [OO] and Cheddar by Simon Challis [P4]. Passenger workings are examined with his usual thoroughness by Robert Carroll.

The workbench area includes items on gluing plastics, the painting technique known as pre-shading [long overdue crossover from military modelling here, folks], getting your diesel pipework right and home-made etched parts. There is a wide ranging Supertest of coupling systems with one oddity: Smiths products are marked 10/10 for realism but the bar chart shows 5/10. A cursory history of couplings with more space devoted to pics than to text is followed by a tutorial on fitting Symoba NEM pockets.

As a trailer for the next issue pages 6 and 7 show a 153 at Matford, Re6/6's layout. Back to this issue and a page previewing Model Rail Live at Barrow Hill is followed by 16 pages of coverage of new products, not all of which are yet available. Will the Bachmann Derby Lighweight be out in time for Christmas, we speculate? Could be a close run thing. Model of the Month is the Bachmann MPV, occupying four pages. We also learn that N scale tubular steel farm gates will be useful at the lineside. [Wish I'd gone to Specsavers ...]

Chris

• RMweb Gold

A very clever picture of Midford viaduct and a 7F.

I'll bring it along tonight as there is also a preview picture of Matford, which is covered in next months mag.

My copy also arrived, most unexpectdly but very welcome, today. It's another packed issue.

However, I must ask for clarification and confirmation of the model dimensions that accompany the Dapol Hall review. They make it sound as if the model is excessively overscale all around, with all wheels being about 5mm over scale diameter (and the bogie and tender ones almost twice correct size). Clearly the back to back is incorrect as that is greater than the N scale track gauge of 9mm.

G.

Particular :good_mini: for the Big Picture 2 Chris.

Superb combination of photography and computer wizardry :clapping_mini:

Yep, seconded by me - that is an awesome picture Chris, for which I award you the full 5 cools B) B) B) B) B)

I did wonder about the pic of Midford viaduct in thesense that it shows Chris' photo jiggery pockery to brilliant effect as too the Bachmann stock, but this is model rail magazine not a how good are you at Photoshopping.:blink: :blink:

HOWEVER the lower photo on page 33 of the 7F clanking through Evercreech New made me look several times before I realised it was the model. A brilliant photo of an excellent layout. On that one well done Chris!!!!!:D :D

Hi,

It was a nice suprise to find Model Rail had arrived when I got in from work and despite being a Northener I have always enjoyed reading and looking at photos of the S&D - The main road from Blanford down to Poole follows sections of the route and you can make out a lot of the trackbed, bridges etc that still survive along that section. The Bachmann 7F is such a cracking model even I bought one after travelling behind it at the NYMR which will run on my very modern Scottish layout! Chris some truely excellent photography in this issue and really is a cracker so well done to Ben and all the team involved!

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Yep, seconded by me - that is an awesome picture Chris, for which I award you the full 5 cools B) B) B) B) B)

Well done Chris, the photo is excellent. Not to mention the two shots of Matford, both really lovely. good_mini.gif

Must get round to reading it properly!

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold
I did wonder about the pic of Midford viaduct in thesense that it shows Chris' photo jiggery pockery to brilliant effect as too the Bachmann stock, but this is model rail magazine not a how good are you at Photoshopping

Alan, I will respectfully completely and utterly disagree with any criticism of the composition and inclusion of this photo in the magazine.

For someone who pretty much grew up with the remains of the disused S&D, the photo of the Bachmann 7F simply blew me away, no other words to describe it. Others in my peer/age group from Bath are equally excited by it.

Whilst the modelling element in the photo is 'limited' to Chris' 7F and wagons (although they are very nicely weathered), the skill with which the composition has been done, in conjunction with the iconic nature of the prototype, elevates this photo to a whole new level.

I am most seriously impressed.

I did wonder about the pic of Midford viaduct in thesense that it shows Chris' photo jiggery pockery to brilliant effect as too the Bachmann stock, but this is model rail magazine not a how good are you at Photoshopping.:blink: :blink:

HOWEVER the lower photo on page 33 of the 7F clanking through Evercreech New made me look several times before I realised it was the model. A brilliant photo of an excellent layout. On that one well done Chris!!!!!:D :D

When I was editor of Model Rail, I tried on a number of occasions to promote the idea of using model-making to create photographs. In other words, the aim is the photograph, and the model is used to achieve it. I'd seen it done in Model Railroader, where a US modeller would build a diorama in order to take one photograph and I liked the idea that the two hobbies could complement each other so well.

Please don't lets get into a debate about the legitimacy or otherwise of photography created around models or models in real settings. Chris's picture is one example of the kind of result that I was hoping some modeller/photographers would go for. I didn't see it before I went on leave and have just seen it for the first time, in the finished magazine. It is quite simply stunning!

In case anyone is wondering, Backscene was dropped as I was away on holiday, but should return in the next issue.

CHRIS LEIGH

In case anyone is wondering, Backscene was dropped as I was away on holiday, but should return in the next issue.

I always like the off-beat items that can appear in there Chris and it's always one of the pages I make sure I don't miss. Without wishing to take anything away from your page I think it would be nice if some of the other staff and key contributors had similar pages with random items (a bit like a blog on paper ;) ) at least every now and again. If you're on holiday someone else should be made to deputise at least. yes.gif

Still waiting to see this snap from Mr N; the postie's obviously admiring it first.

• RMweb Premium

CHRIS LEIGH

I was wondering Chris if it might be timely for you to put your Backscene pages into a publication on their own? There must be enough by now for a full set of "ramblings"...would make a lovely resource to dip into now and again; just a thought....

Stunning issue in my opinion.Have 2 queries if anyone can help,firstly the flyer for Model Rail live has a layout pictured with several sector era diesels on it,what layout is it?Secondly the couplings test appears to give the Bachmann EZ mates a higher score than Kadees are the EZ mates better than Kadees?

When I was editor of Model Rail, I tried on a number of occasions to promote the idea of using model-making to create photographs. In other words, the aim is the photograph, and the model is used to achieve it. I'd seen it done in Model Railroader, where a US modeller would build a diorama in order to take one photograph and I liked the idea that the two hobbies could complement each other so well.

They definitely can. It was the trackside photos, and the annual photography competition, that inspired me to make my modelling as realistic as possible this time round. Do you think you could persuade Ben to start an annual Model Rail photo competition? I think it could yield some interesting results.

Archived