Model Rail 159 - August 2011

chrisf

• RMweb Gold

But, did anyone notice the advert for our very own RMweb Marketplace on Page 125?

Yeah I noticed that in last months issue and thought 'We've gone up in the world!' cool.gif We might even have our own magazine soon? Or an online news letter, now there's a thought...

Regards,

Nick.

My copy also arrived, most unexpectdly but very welcome, today. It's another packed issue.

However, I must ask for clarification and confirmation of the model dimensions that accompany the Dapol Hall review. They make it sound as if the model is excessively overscale all around, with all wheels being about 5mm over scale diameter (and the bogie and tender ones almost twice correct size). Clearly the back to back is incorrect as that is greater than the N scale track gauge of 9mm.

G.

Richard has asked me to post this:

As the reviewer of the Dapol Hall, these were the measurements that I came up with. I noted that it was strange that they were way over scale and double (and indeed triple) checked my measurements and the calculations to produce the scale. As the model looks that good and didn't look 'wrong' (as I said, it compared well with the JH Russell's drawings), I didn't feel that it was an issue.

We've since re-measured the model and the figures have come out much closer. I have a hunch that it may have been our callipers that were acting up (we've since changed the battery) but I cannot explain exactly what happened. Like I said, I double checked the figures and they were still way out. I hold my hands up and apologise for any errors made in the initial measuring but it is certainly not a case of poor proofing etc, just, I guess, human error on my part.

Richard Foster

A revised table will be published next month.

• RMweb Gold

Superb issue and I think the combined model and real photo is still modelling, is it really that different to a photo backscene? although don't double yellow lines date the photo contrary to the caption ;)

The layouts are superb and I've had the pleasure of seeing Averton Hammer in the flesh too.

The pic of Matford is stunning but shouldn't there be a group of orange clad workers around the rear bogie scratching their heads and waiting for the Bruff? ;)

The pic of Matford is stunning but shouldn't there be a group of orange clad workers around the rear bogie scratching their heads and waiting for the Bruff? ;)

Well spotted! :D I hadn't noticed that.

I must say I'm intrigued by the domeless, Midland style 0-4-0 which is banking a coal train on the photo spread over pages 48 and 49...

The photo of Chris Nevard's over pages 8 and 9 is superb! I asked my wife to look at itand asked her "real or model?" and she wasn't sure and she looked very closely! She wasn't too impressed that I hadn't given her the option of 'both'! :lol:

Well spotted! :D I hadn't noticed that.

Neither did I until just now.... duh....:blush:

Oh well, just imagine the ornage clad workers are running down the platform as the snap was taken!

James - well spotted! I'm amazed that no one spotted 'Nellie' the banker until now! The joys of panoramic software combining 3 shots to get it all in!

Next....

• RMweb Gold

None of this detracts from the images though, problem of getting so much detail in focus, we sit and stare at all the beautiful detail on show and notice things.

I was studying the scrub next to the 153 to see what they'd used when I noticed the wheel.

Nellie looks good actually and as it was nearly hidden by the page fold I hadn't noticed that one, I was lucky??? enough to spend 7 hours on trains each day for the last two days going to Watford and back so MR was read cover to cover. Looking forward to the MPV too.

• RMweb Gold

Nah, they've retired to the Depot chargeman's office for a cup of tea, the BRUFF is coming from Margam (no, I'm not joking!...) and it won't be here for another 4 hours....

• RMweb Gold

Nah, they've retired to the Depot chargeman's office for a cup of tea, the BRUFF is coming from Margam (no, I'm not joking!...) and it won't be here for another 4 hours....

But at least it makes a nice change from Canton's 'how much of it do you think you can get back on before we get there? - where's me fishplates and packing ... tehehewink.gif

Passenger workings are examined with his usual thoroughness by Robert Carroll.

Thanks. The article was written a couple of years ago and has been waiting for the rest of the S&D feature to be completed. No more in the pipeline from me at present. I thought the S&D layouts were very impressive and captured the character well.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. The article was written a couple of years ago and has been waiting for the rest of the S&D feature to be completed. No more in the pipeline from me at present. I thought the S&D layouts were very impressive and captured the character well.

Apart from Chris' incredible photo of Midford, your article was the high point of an already high-quality issue, Robert.

• RMweb Gold

Thought this was an absolute cracker of an issue. Obviously I'm biassed with my S&D interests but this was just the shot in the arm I needed to get progress back on track with my own project. Thanks to all involved, and Chris for some spectacular photography.

• RMweb Premium

Neither did I until just now.... duh....:blush:

Oh well, just imagine the ornage clad workers are running down the platform as the snap was taken!

James - well spotted! I'm amazed that no one spotted 'Nellie' the banker until now! The joys of panoramic software combining 3 shots to get it all in!

Next....

I was going to remark on "Nellie", but James beat me to it!

My first thought was "why are they running a loco from a Hornby starter set on an otherwise scale layout?"

Anyway, great issue, a real cover-to-cover read.

Great Issue:

robertcwp your articles in the past have been very interesting and I hope they made continue in the future. Wonderful photography from Chris Nevard and brilliant layout idea.

Thanks, there might be more in the future, just none on the way at present.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone has put up a link, but the O Gauge Layout of Evercreech New modelled by Julian Birley can be found

. Even a Blue Pullman can be seen rushing through!

Regards,

Nick

does anybody know how Julian Birley did his fab ballast
Actually, he is referring to the track, which is sprayed with Antelope Beige, the ballast applied in the usual time honoured method.

I hope that this helps

Tim

Actually, he is referring to the track, which is sprayed with Antelope Beige, the ballast applied in the usual time honoured method.

I hope that this helps

Tim

Hi Tim,

i`ve got a aerosol of antelope beige and in the photos in the mag its def the ballast and not the rails or sleepers in this colour, was just wondering if he just sprayed the granite chippings with the aerosol or decanted it for use in a airbrush or simply just painted it on with a brush?

Many thanks

Craig

I have just finished ready this issue and thoroughly enjoyed it. In particular I enjoyed the more detail-heavy articles such as the look at passenger services.

I don't know if any follow-ups are planned but I would really like to see a similar article on S&D freight trains. The coal trains are mentioned in passing but more detail would be good. Also there is the stone traffic and particularly the milk from the creameries at Bason Bridge and Bailey Gate.

Archived