Graham Farish BDA Bogie Bolster Wagon

branchie

New images of the BDA wagons on the Farish website: http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/

Looking forward to getting a rake of the Railfreight versions - lurvely

The 'N Gauge Society' produced an easy to assemble kit of a BDA many years ago, so I've already got some;

post-33-12591865236846_thumb.jpg

The only snag is that they lack suitable decals. Does anyone know if any exist and where they can be obtained?

G.

• RMweb Premium

The 'N Gauge Society' produced an easy to assemble kit of a BDA many years ago, so I've already got some;

post-33-12591865236846_thumb.jpg

The only snag is that they lack suitable decals. Does anyone know if any exist and where they can be obtained?

G.

Hi

Nothing that I am aware of is available. For mine I had some transfers printed from my own artwork.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I used a combination of left overs from a range of Fox and Modelmaster/NGS transfer sheets for my rake of BDAs.

I think I used Fox sheet FRH2900 for the Railfreight letter - they're a bit big as I needed to cut off the top and bottom of the surounding box The other bits came from the NGS Salmon sheet and the general sheets Fox do for the Yeoman loco & wagons and oil tankers. They're not perfect but look good enough.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

Hi Grahame,

I had some as well and found them a really enjoyable kit to build. However, I had to sell them, so now looking forward to some RTR versions (just so I don't have to contemplate any painting and transfers!!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame

If you're still looking for decals for your BDAs you might try here:

http://www.scalemodeltransfers.co.uk/scalemodeltransfers/modernliveries/freight/freight.html

I have not tried these myself so I cannot vouch for the quality; but they appear to offer dedicated BDA decals in scales including 2mm so worth a try perhaps?

Incidentally he does several different snowplough sets too...

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Grahame

http://www.scalemodeltransfers.co.uk/scalemodeltransfers/modernliveries/freight/freight.html

I have not tried these myself so I cannot vouch for the quality; but they appear to offer dedicated BDA decals in scales including 2mm so worth a try perhaps?

Incidentally he does several different snowplough sets too...

cheers

Ben A.

Hi

I've used these for other transfers and the quality is very good, however, delivery times can vary so it might be worth an email before placing your order.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks. They look the ticket, and quite a range. I've not seen that supplier before. If I can work out how you pay I'll give them a go.

Later update; I've made contact and have ordered some - basically a cheque is in the post - so I'll see how they turn out and let people know if they're interested.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. They look the ticket, and quite a range. I've not seen that supplier before. If I can work out how you pay I'll give them a go.

Later update; I've made contact and have ordered some - basically a cheque is in the post - so I'll see how they turn out and let people know if they're interested.

G.

Grahame

Be aware the delivery is somethimes a little slow. A friendly email should always get you an update. The products are great. He did me some Track 29 logos for my N gauge courier van.

Russell

• 1 month later...
Be aware the delivery is somethimes a little slow. A friendly email should always get you an update. The products are great. He did me some Track 29 logos for my N gauge courier van.

Cheers. A part order arrived today (one of the ones I ordered had a serious error - no carrier film - so is being re-done) but, yep, they look fine;

post-33-12629559348484_thumb.jpg

(since the above pic was taken I've added the missing stantions)

G.

I presume this is suitable stock for any steel terminal, right?

Correct. Common as chips, they are THE steel carrying wagon of the 1980s onwards (despite the bodies being from the early 1950s); From then onwards nothing else existed in anything like the same numbers. see

"BR air braked Bogie bolster D, hand wheel brake BDA, BEA, BTA, YAA," (C#1268133) ??“ 79 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1268133.html

"BR air braked Bogie bolster D, lever brake BDA, BEA, BFA, BMA, BTA, YAA, YVA," (C#1267505) ??“ 154 photographs

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1267505.html

Regards

Paul

York

• 5 months later...

I hope the Hattons bit is correct. While I was stacking some z's between night shifts, Mr Postie tried in vain to deliver a parcel this morning. Now have to wait 24hrs to see if it is my pre-ordered BDAs that I'll be getting my sweaty mitts on. At least they would have been easier to get through the 'nothing to declare' channel, but typically I had, indeed, already declared these to the domestic authorities..... Am looking forward to comparing them with Paul C's excellent NGS kit-built samples

Rgds

Steve A

• 2 weeks later...

Hattons have plenty.Or are you after a different angle?

Yes, I was thinking of some on someone's layout, with a load etc.

Just intersted to see what they look like as a "model" rather than just fresh out of the box!

Well my 5 made it to Switzerland and I must say I may mighty impressed. A lovely little wagon.

however a word of warning to any purchasers. The packaging is inadequate. The 6 stanchions are held in each by 2 very fine pins. The wagons are held in place by a plastic sleve but I would imagine with all the throwing about in the post, 2 wagons have moved in their sleeves. As a result, stanchions have snapped of as the pins are so fine. From the 5 I got, 2 suffered this! I think it is repairable with a little superglue. I have informed the retailer to inform Farish. I see no point in sending them back as replacements will surely also be damaged.

Apart from that happy :-)

Russell

• RMweb Premium

I'm rebuilding my layout,so this will have to do.

post-6821-127956798463_thumb.jpg

Two I beams are included,plus the contents of the bag behind them.They come fitted with standard length couplings.

post-6821-127956800128_thumb.jpg

This shows them fitted with short knuckle couplings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

however a word of warning to any purchasers. The packaging is inadequate. The 6 stanchions are held in each by 2 very fine pins. The wagons are held in place by a plastic sleve but I would imagine with all the throwing about in the post, 2 wagons have moved in their sleeves.

By "stanchion" I think you probably mean "bolster" - I bought two wagons from a local retailer and one of them had 3 out of 6 bolsters adrift in the packing. No post involved here as I carried them home myself (and I don't recall being thrown about at any point) so any rough shunting will have occurred in the distribution chain. As you say, the attachment to the deck is fairly weak (two thin moulded pins and a small amount of glue and seemingly attached after the deck was painted) but the situation looks repairable, so I shall probably do so and inform the retailer rather than returning the model.

• RMweb Premium

To quote from the review in Model Rail:

"The bolsters are separately fitted items and can be moved around as required".

I suspect the glue was an afterthought when someone noticed the fit was too loose.

I have three of these, and no loose bolsters.

I'm rebuilding my layout,so this will have to do.

post-6821-127956798463_thumb.jpg

Two I beams are included,plus the contents of the bag behind them.They come fitted with standard length couplings.

post-6821-127956800128_thumb.jpg

This shows them fitted with short knuckle couplings.

What couplings do you use? They look great!

• RMweb Premium

Dapol NEM knuckle couplings,as supplied by them with all their models now.A mixture of long and short ones would probably be needed,depending on minimum radius used.

The short version of the Farish coupling would achieve the same effect,but the Dapol ones do look better.

Archived