Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a quick headsup for anyone considering a proper camera for layout photography etc. the Argos clearance site on Ebay have the Canon G10 for 270 quid at the moment:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360244030174http://deals.ebay.co.uk/

whoops - sold out already - there were 50 odd left when I posted half an hour ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up that Much Ado About Toys in Startford Upon Avon have some 1:76 scale Oxford Diecase artic lorries (one refrigerated type, and one plain box trailer) on offer at £7.50 down from c£18. I think there were abbout 4 on the shelves. Absolue bargain... didn't buy one myself as something else more necessary caught my eye!

Hi Matt, that's O-16.5 am I right? Or is it 009, based on the couplers I can't suss it out. If it's a 16.5mm chassis, could you let me know the wheelbase and wheel diameter please.

many thanks

'CHARD

Guest 009matt

yes, it's 0-16.5 I only ordered it today, so can send the dimensions when it arrives, but is the standard magic trail diesel

yes, it's 0-16.5 I only ordered it today, so can send the dimensions when it arrives, but is the standard magic trail diesel

Cool. You've got me with magic trails, that's way outside my comfort zone ;) Unless you're referring to the Waverley Route of course :P

you are looking for a bargain Heljan 86, try modelfair as they are advertising the Anglia version, which is, for some reason dearer than the others (at RRP), for £89.50. If my calculations are correct, this is below cost!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have been surfing the model shops - this Hornby 90 seems a good deal! Don't know whether they've made a mistake with the price.

I think the price must be wrong, the product is now 'deactivated' on their website.

Regards

Paul

Have been surfing the model shops - this Hornby 90 seems a good deal! Don't know whether they've made a mistake with the price.

http://www.stocktonmodeller.co.uk/2537/products/Hornby_R2291B_Class_90.aspx

Not really for me but it may be of interest to someone.

Hmmmm, ordered one yesterday only recieve this in the E-mail...

"Dear Sir

Unfortunately there has been a mistake on our website. The product you ordered had the wrong price on it, the item has now been removed from the website. Your order will be cancelled and your card will not be charged. We apologiase for any inconevenience this may cause.

Many Thanks - Stockton Modeller"

If something appears too good to be true....still, they did ' apologiase for any inconevenience '...!

Re the Stockton Modeller issue, I am not 100% certain, but I think what they have done may be illegal. iirc Kodak got into trouble over this a few years back, advertising a camera at the wrong price on their website and they were forced make good on the deal.

Certainly in a shop, the price ticket on the goods is the price you pay, wrong or not.

If you really want the goods, I would check with your local Trading Standards or Citizens Advice Bureau

• RMweb Gold

Re the Stockton Modeller issue, I am not 100% certain, but I think what they have done may be illegal. iirc Kodak got into trouble over this a few years back, advertising a camera at the wrong price on their website and they were forced make good on the deal.

Certainly in a shop, the price ticket on the goods is the price you pay, wrong or not.

If you really want the goods, I would check with your local Trading Standards or Citizens Advice Bureau

In the UK it is NOT illegal. (It may be in other countries, Australia for one I believe.)

In the UK the price is 'an invitation to treat' - there is no compulsion for the retailer to sell a the item to you at all if they don't want to, let alone at a specific price.

However where the retailer has mad a mistake many WILL honour the price as a gesture of goodwill - on the basis that the badwill (I think I just invented that term) generated by refusing to sell will outweigh the loss on the sale.

"Dear Sir

Unfortunately there has been a mistake on our website. The product you ordered had the wrong price on it, the item has now been removed from the website. Your order will be cancelled and your card will not be charged. We apologiase for any inconevenience this may cause.

Many Thanks - Stockton Modeller"

I think if they'd confirmed your order, and then later cancelled it, you'd have a right to feel miffed, but I think we all knew that they didn't mean to offer a loco for £12.99!

As has been mentioned, no shop or trader is compelled to sell you anything, at any price. Most times, if a mistake has been made (particularly a small one), a trader will let you have the goods at the lower price as a gesture of goodwill, but they're quite within their rights to re-price the item, or remove it from sale completely until the error has been corrected.

I wonder how many orders Stockton did fulfill before the cock-up was spotted?

As others have said, it's not illegal for a trader to change their price, or cancel an order, and I have had many similar messages from online traders - just this week I had one from Comet, a £1500 LCD TV listed on their site for less than £200. Needless to say they were ' unable to fulfil the order'...

The legal phrase is, as previously mentioned ' Invitation to treat ', also ' Misprice ' and online sales are subject to The Distance Selling Regulations often refered to in an online retailers terms of sale ( we all read them before we press 'enter', right ? ). As regards a price ticket on goods in a shop, yes they are are obliged to sell at that price...but not necessarily to you !

My only gripe with my order ( apart from the misspelling of apologise and inconvenience ! ), is the fact I had to create an account before purchase, so now they have all my details, but I haven't bought anything...!

As others have said, the idea that they 'have' to sell you it is a long running myth that wont die. I worked in retail, late 70s- mid 80s; our usual policy was to sell at the ticket price to the customer who'd noticed the cockup, but to to immediately correct said cockup

Archived